Get iPhone 4 now, or wait for iPhone 4S

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Gambiit08, Jun 7, 2011.

1. Gambiit08 macrumors member

Gambiit08

After seeing that there was no mention of the next iPhone at WWDC...should i pony up and get a 4, or wait months...to possibly even HEAR mention of the phone..

remember, i have a blackberry torch at the moment...and i can barely handle using it for another day, let alone months upon months (plus the new one will have great demand--might take longer to get one as well)

any input would be great!

2. Andy Ftw macrumors regular

I would definitely recommend waiting until September for the release of iOS 5 and almost certainly the iPhone 5

3. Surely Guest

Surely

Only you can decide what to do. You'll hear it from both sides around here.

Since you're in Canada, I imagine you'll have to deal with a new 3 year contract. That should be a consideration.

That being said, the iPhone 4 is a fantastic phone, and it appears that it will be able to handle iOS5 without issues. I don't think I could handle using the Torch for another 4-7 months.

If you want to wait, you'll have to figure out a way to get by until at least the fall. Keep in mind that just because a new iPhone will go on sale on a certain date, it may take you weeks or months to be able to actually track one down. Also keep in mind that Apple tends to roll out the iPhone in Canada later than in the US.

4. Gambiit08 thread starter macrumors member

Gambiit08

yeah, i know...the torch is brutal...should i just get a 4, then wait for the inevitable LTE iPhone (2012-13) ? because the 4S will hardly be an improvement

5. Surely Guest

Surely

I can't tell you what to do. :p

It's always a chase......if you wait, you'll always be waiting. It's not like the iP4 will suck once they announce the next one.

For me, if I want/need something, I get it.

6. Gambiit08 thread starter macrumors member

Gambiit08

yeah, im pretty impulsive as well...and i've used the 4, and it's great...the 4S will have a slightly better camera, possibly the A5 chip...not much else...sort of like the 3GS vs the 3G---the real improvements will be in the next one, LTE, redesign, etc

im still in a contract atm btw, but i can upgrade early if i pay a slight fee...which is definitely worth it if it means i get to toss this blackberry

7. iMJustAGuy macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

Well when the 4S comes out, the 5 won't be far off. But then iPhone 6 is probably going to be a HUGE upgrade... so you should probably wait then too.

... you'll be forever waiting if you don't just make a choice. Other than my palm blocking data sometimes, the iPhone 4 is such an amazingly substantial device and you won't be upset. I also think it will last quite a but longer than the 3G did. I'd go for it now.

8. Surely Guest

Surely

I'm not impulsive, I'm just not going to wait and wait and wait for something when I can be happy with the current version now. My purchase decisions are always well researched.

9. Gambiit08 thread starter macrumors member

Gambiit08

well im impulsive...but i do research on nearly everything before hand...but i dont like waiting...at all...but everyone keeps telling me to wait for the 4S when the 4 itself, is great

10. Centient macrumors 6502

Wow. A 3 year contract? Do you still have to pay for the phones? Or are they just given to you?

11. Gambiit08 thread starter macrumors member

Gambiit08

we have to pay for them...its bs

12. Gambiit08 thread starter macrumors member

Gambiit08

and because i would be upgrading early...i'd have to pay a penalty to upgrade to a new phone before the 2 year mark...

13. Centient macrumors 6502

It certainly is. What do you guys pay for your phones then? Some sort of discount surely?

14. Surely Guest

Surely

I'm in Los Angeles, but they pay a little less than what we in the US pay for a 3 year contract: $159/$269 16GB/32GB

And they don't have nationwide calling!:eek:

I edited the prices after checking rogers.com

15. thrill5one6 macrumors regular

thrill5one6

Get it now and enjoy it. The "iPhone 4s" isn't rumored to be a huge improvement. Just faster like the 3Gs was.
    You'll always be waiting for the next thing, you'll never be up to date given the hardware release dates and the cell phone company contracts

16. Gambiit08 thread starter macrumors member

Gambiit08

if you sign up for a new contract, you pay 0 -200 dollars usually...smart phones are usually 150-200 though (iphones, bb's, etc)

after 2 years into a contract, you can upgrade to a new phone for around 50-100 bucks...and you can upgrade before the 2 year mark, but you have to pay 10-20 dollars per month for the remaining months left up to the 2 year mark...so if you have 15 months left, you pay 15x20+full price of the phone (200)

such a rip off...but it's better than sticking with a blackberry that i hate..

17. Centient macrumors 6502

Wha???

My wife and I were discussing moving our family to Canada. But after this...;)

18. Gambiit08 thread starter macrumors member

Gambiit08

trust me, dont NOT come to Canada just because of our phone prices...we have things much better up here (no offense)

19. Surely Guest

Surely

20. Centient macrumors 6502

Just kidding. :p Cell phone plans would be the last thing to dissuade us.

The move idea started out as a light hearted discussion that's becoming a little more serious of late.

21. Surely Guest

Surely

It's a great country to live in. As much as I love living in LA, I still miss living in Canada.

22. Gambiit08 thread starter macrumors member

Gambiit08

may i ask, why? Canada is an awesome country, but am just a little curious..also which part of Canada do you want to move to..

23. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

I strongly disagree that a faster phone isn't a huge upgrade.

I was planning to hold out for the next iPhone (hoping for CPU & storage upgrade) but just got a rare deal on the iPhone 4 and service plan that will save me $600 over the contract life. The ONLY thing I would want is a faster processor and more storage. The 3GS is already laggy on 4.3 and the 4 will likely become laggy as the OS continues to grow. Any other feature they might add seems comparatively minor.

24. Gambiit08 thread starter macrumors member

Gambiit08

the processor will not be "faster" it will just have an secondary core...which will allow for more multi-tasking...hardly an absolutely necessary feature in a phone...especially when most apps can't even utilize the A5 chip...storage would be a good idea, but 32 is fine for a phone, and if you want more than 32/64 on a tablet/phone get a laptop.