Get latest MBP15 or wait for new one? Pull hair out

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Lartymarf, Jul 21, 2008.

  1. Lartymarf macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Aug 11, 2007
    #1
    Ok.. normally.. if I was still employed and perfectly happy with my
    12" G4 PowerBook, I'd have no need for a new laptop. BUT, I'm
    unemployed now getting ready for business school to start in August,
    though I AM still happy with my 12" G4 PowerBook, and the school
    overseas in Asia won't support macs, I figure it's time for a new
    laptop... an Intel powered MacBook Pro... so I can switch over to
    the Windows side for school work etc. I leave the US beginning of
    August... should I wait for new MBP or get one now? Any key
    features I'll regret not waiting?

    If I was staying in U.S. for school, I wouldn't be posting this thread.
    But, school is over seas with no apple store, although apple is planning
    on opening one there.

    Tks!
    J
     
  2. teerexx52 macrumors 68000

    teerexx52

    Joined:
    May 1, 2005
    Location:
    Florida West Coast
    #3
    I have had the latest 2.4 for 3 months now. Wonderful machine. You need it? Buy it


     
  3. buyusfear macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Dec 30, 2007
    #4
    This question is quite common around here lately and i'll offer you up the advice I told my brother on the phone last night.

    Buy it now.

    2 reasons for waiting.. You don't need one at the moment, or you don't like the current design.

    The current MBP is one of, if not the best notebooks ever designed. So even if a new one comes out, you'll still have one amazing notebook.

    Why would you be unhappy with it?

    If you wait, you'll be waiting for a good few months. And I predict a new release sometime towards the end of the year, since they're doing this whole free ipod thing/back to school sale.

    If the NEW MBP was announced tomorrow, there would still be a release date (I doubt they'd go on sale that day), then an enormous rush to buy, huge wait times, etc etc etc, for what???? A first Gen product.

    When have first gen designs been flawless right out of the gate?
    The best models are the ones right at the end of the life cycle, like right now.

    By buying now you get a notebook that probably supersedes almost everyone's day to day needs on this forum, I know it's WAY too much machine for me.

    Go buy, enjoy.
     
  4. marvel2 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2007
    #5
    If you like the current design and its features are adequate for your needs, I would buy now. The only thing we can count on with the new macbook pros is that they will be a little faster.
     
  5. winninganthem macrumors 6502a

    winninganthem

    Joined:
    Jun 10, 2008
    #6
    I just bought one last week having spent over 6 months saving for it and contemplating the decision.

    I don't regret it one bit and completely love this new machine.

    New features that a lot of people have been talking about and wanting were a new case design, bluray, speed boost and a number of other odds and ends but I thought about it and realized that the current machine really served my purposes.

    :D
     
  6. 11800506 macrumors 65816

    11800506

    Joined:
    Oct 31, 2007
    Location:
    Washington D.C. Area
    #7
    You could always wait and if it still wasn't out by the time you needed it just buy it online from that country's apple store and have it shipped to you.
     
  7. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

    Joined:
    Sep 4, 2006
    #8
  8. Eric. macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Mar 30, 2008
    #9
    Montevina AND Nehalem aren't going to be out by the end of the year. Montevina is almost 100% guaranteed to be, but Nehalem isn't supposed to be out for notebooks until mid to late 2009.
     
  9. cromwell64 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 30, 2008
    #10
    Montevina is more than "almost 100% guaranteed" to be out by the end of the year. It has already been rolled out by Intel and manufacturers are already selling laptops using the new platform. Nehalem is scheduled to be rolled by years end, but only for the higher end chips. It probably won't be until next summer that we see Nehalem in macbooks or macbook pros.
     
  10. dibara2003 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Aug 18, 2007
    Location:
    Hawaii!
    #11
    hmm... i'm in the same boat. I'm supposed to exchange my Air for a Pro tomorrow.
     
  11. Sonicjay macrumors 6502a

    Sonicjay

    Joined:
    Jan 1, 2008
    #12
    I bought one a few weeks ago, and totally love it. A newer model is always coming down the pipe; if you like, just buy it and enjoy it.
     
  12. PDE macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Nov 16, 2005
    #13
    Even with all its weaknesses, the current MBP is a very mature product that will no doubt be less problem-prone than the next redesign by Apple. It may be that Apple has learned a few lessons from the past, but I doubt it. First generation Apple designs are ALWAYS problematic and I'd recommend staying away if you can. Buying the last generation guarantees that you'll get the best of that line and a product where the main kinks have been worked out over time. The peace of mind that brings is worth infinitely more than the thrill of the first few weeks of a completely new, cool design....after which you have to start dealing with its first generation flaws and being without your computer while it's in for repair.

    Nobody can tell the future, but judging by Apple's past record I'd bet my money that if the MBP is redesigned there will be quite a few kinks to work out. Just buy now and enjoy. I don't think the current MBPs are that amazing or innovative, but it's a solid, good computer that will serve you well for a 3-4 years if you're lucky.
     
  13. Firefly2002 macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Jan 9, 2008
    #14
    If you're happy with your 12" PB, why the hell are you thinking about getting a new one, because it's "a few years old"? That's just plain stupid.

    It's about as intelligent as thinking about replacing one cardboard box with another because the first is a few weeks older.

    Honestly, if you're asking us to make your decision for you (basically justify something you know you don't need), then you've got a problem...
     
  14. wozza macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    May 12, 2008
    #15


    .....
     
  15. TomsMacBook macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Apr 1, 2008
    Location:
    Rugeley, England.
    #16
    Well, I went ahead and bought one, and it's pretty damn ace. Miles ahead of my old MacBook and iMac G5. If you want one, get it.

    Simple.
     
  16. alphaod macrumors Core

    alphaod

    Joined:
    Feb 9, 2008
    Location:
    NYC
    #17
    Stop playing the waiting game; if you need a machine now, buy one; if you're into the waiting game then you don't need one, so don't get one at all.

    Need --> Buy
    Waiting game --> Don't need --> Don't buy
     
  17. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

    Joined:
    Feb 4, 2008
    #18
    Considering the latest rumors today about a $200 price drop, WAIT as long as you can. If you absolutely must have a Mac with Windows for school, then you just can't help it. But wait if at all possible. Also, make sure you get your student discount, which saves you $200 already.
     
  18. stryfe137 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Dec 12, 2006
    #19
    i somewhat disagree...

    i hear what you're saying and it usually the case with end of cycle apple problems, but it bothers me a little hearing rumors about the graphic card problems of the 8600. in my view, because of this, i would rather wait until next gen.

    the release won't be any later than sept.. apple already has admitted as much in the conference call. also it generally takes no later than 6-8 wks for a mbp update after the new processor comes out. if a new macbook pro were to come out and be back ordered, i'd seriously doubt that the wait would be any longer than two weeks. this is a high end machine that most people would not put down money for.

    for me i think it's worth waiting for because it's a $2000 computer that i'm
    about to buy and keep for the next 4 years and i don't want to have a laptop
    that is already out of date 1 1/2 months after i bought it.

    if you can wait, t hen wait. if not buy one now. that is the best advice, especially ahead of a redesign.
     
  19. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

    Joined:
    Sep 4, 2006
    #20
    I'd say just pull all your hair out and sue apple for losing your hair.

    But seriously just wait, especially when apple announced that even before september there will be something new that's on the cheap that other OEMs couldnt compete with either.
     
  20. RainForRent macrumors 6502

    RainForRent

    Joined:
    May 31, 2006
    Location:
    Greenville, SC
    #21
    Another "buy or no?" thread.
    As always, get it when you need it. There is always something bigger and better off on the horizon.
     
  21. benlee macrumors 65816

    benlee

    Joined:
    Mar 4, 2007
    #22
    I will reiterate what many have already said.

    Reasons to buy now:

    1. Have a new computer sooner
    2. Have a late generation machine that has most of the kinks worked out
    3. Free iPod Touch
    4. You know what you are getting

    Reasons to wait:

    1. Better performance/ features for same (or less)
    2. Top of the line technology with possible redesign


    Take you pick. If you decide to wait you could always buy it from the US online store and have your friends or family ship it to you at school. However, I highly doubt that the iPod touch deal will be available for new notebooks.

    Also, contrary to what one poster suggested, Apple will almost definitely release a new MBP on the same day they announce it.
     
  22. weev macrumors regular

    weev

    Joined:
    Jan 21, 2003
    Location:
    Sydney, Australia
    #23
    True, and you must also factor in the possibility of lowering rather than increasing quality of build. An end of series machine has a lot more long term value than the first release of a new range.

    When you are selling it, it will be the best of the perryn breed, rather then the worst of the new breed.

    The wow factor of having the latest wears off as soon as its updated and improved and it becomes a lot less desirable as it probably will have more bugs and gripes than we could anticipate and its value second-hand will be bottom of the that range of machine.

    However, the want of new is hard to resist! So just pull your hair out!
     
  23. xparaparafreakx macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Jul 29, 2005
    #24
    Well if you need it for school, buy it. Do not do none of this waiting game and be without a windows machine for months.
     
  24. asd31083 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jul 7, 2008
    #25
    I'm in the market for a new MBP right now too but I'm worried about the GPU issue, LED striping problems, etc. If they could work out these kinks and release a refresh like the one in Feb, that would be awesome, but it doesn't look like that's in the cards.

    I guess I'm counting on the update to fix these problems, but as with all early revisions, there may be a slew of other unforeseen problems.
     

Share This Page