Get Verizon Wireless on iPhone.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by millic65, Oct 19, 2008.

1. millic65 macrumors newbie

Does anyone know how to get Verizon on an iPhone? If so, please walk me through it. I know that AT&T is GSM and Verizon is CDMA, but I know there is a way to hack it so that you can have Verizon on your iPhone. Please help cause I really really want an iPhone and I'm not switching to AT&T so please help if you know anything! Thanks!

2. Kyeris macrumors 6502

3. philgilder macrumors 68000

as Kyeris said, its impossible to get the iphone to work on verizon
    it hasnt been hacked yet to even work on other gsm networks, and to make it work on cdma would require new hardware and updated software
    you'll have to switch to at&t if you want the iphone

4. aerospace macrumors 6502a

With the amount of modders, hackers, programmers I'm surprised no one has cracked open an iphone and switched the gsm for cdma chip and gotten some kind of working phone.

Of course not an easy approach, but seems odd it hasn't been done.

Edit: how about the possibility of running iphone software on the G1 since it's open source?
    *dreams*

5. rotobadger macrumors 65816

rotobadger

Although I would love that I think it is far more complicated than just switching a chip.

6. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

it's not that easy, and never, EVER be done. just switch to AT&T if you want the iPhone that bad.

7. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

It's not even close to being that easy. The iPhone is a GSM phone from the chips to the software. Even if you did rip out the whole GSM RF section and soldered on a CDMA MSM chipset, the software won't know what to make of it. Instead of IMEIs, IMSIs, MSIDs and SIMs, it will see ESNs, MINs, PRLs and SIDs. Verizon's network speaks an entirely different language. The Phone preferences for things like enabling Caller ID, getting status on call waiting, and even conference calling won't work, because the access codes are completely different, or don't exist at all. Even the procedures for merely setting up a call or sending an SMS are different.

You'd have to redesign the whole thing, AND rewrite the OS to accommodate CDMA ANSI mappings. Not exactly something you can do with a simple jailbreak.

I'm not saying it's impossible to ever have an iPhone on Verizon, but it will have to be done by Apple, and not by modding an existing model. Blackberry and Palm make similar model phones for the two networks, but that's because they write specific OS revisions for each product on each carrier, that knows what it's supposed to do with the differing hardware. Apple would have to do the same.

You'll also note that not everyone can pull it off. Palm is notorious for making CDMA smartphones that crash way more often than their GSM counterparts. My old Treo 650 on Sprint (and later the 700p) loved to crash and spontaneously reboot for simple things, like receiving a call, or just sitting there and getting handed off to another cell site.

8. bk888 macrumors newbie

There is no easy way to convert an iPhone into a CDMA-compatible iPhone. The differences are with the actual chipsets first and the software of the phone second so it's not going to be as simple and soldering in a new CDMA chip and calling it a day.

Ditto for going the other direction to the G1 phone. The G1 is not an open source phone. It runs an open source operating system and software package called Android. The Apple iPhone OS is not open source and thus would require a fairly significant overhaul to work on the G1.

So no go there as well.

Your best bet is to switch to AT&T or Tmobile. With the latter you'll need an unlocked iPhone which you can probably get on ebay or craigslist. If you're dedicated to Verizon, you'll just have to select one of their smartphone offerings which admittedly isn't that great of an option but if you hang out with the Verizon forums they might make you feel better about the purchase! You can get a Windows mobile phone that doesn't have strict controls over what software you install, etc.

9. NeoMayhem macrumors 6502a

Just wait until the LTE iPhone comes out in a few years and then you will be able to hack it to work on Verizon.

10. Alisstar macrumors 6502

Alisstar

Wait for the BlackBerry Storm. It's supposed to compete against the iPhone. If there's such a things as an iPhone "killer", this phone will be it. It'll also have all the features the iPhone lacks like: copy & paste, mms capabilities, video recording, etc. Only thing you might miss out on is all the games and apps that are available on the app store, but who knows what Verizon will come out with to compete against that as well.

11. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    I'm betting not, for a couple of reasons.

First, it makes sense for them to use different frequencies to keep from stomping all over each other. Or at least something to keep you from changing carriers too easily.

Second, the phones will be different (at least for the first few years) simply because the GSM carrier LTE phones will fall back to GSM when out of LTE range. And Verizon's LTE phones will fall back on CDMA.

No different than today when the 3G iPhone falls back on EDGE.

12. Mr. Giver '94 macrumors 68000

Mr. Giver '94

Sigh....:rolleyes:

Attached Files:

13. NDimichino macrumors 6502a

NDimichino

I almost want Verizon to get it so these threads won't get started every 8 minutes.

14. Fonzijr1964 macrumors 68000

Fonzijr1964

15. cobaltchroma macrumors regular

cobaltchroma

16. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

If it's that easy to switch from GSM to CDMA, Nokia wouldn't have lost most of its market share in the US.

17. Flhusky macrumors 6502a

Flhusky

+1 for new sticky

PLZ mods for the love of Job make it a sticky

Title: iPhone is NOT Verizon compatible in its current incarnation
    Body;

AT&T uses GSM technologu
    Verizon uses CDMA technology
    They are NOT repeat NOT even in the same realm of hardware/software.

18. JPIndustrie macrumors 6502a

JPIndustrie

Why do we entertain questions like these. Seriously. Why? What purpose does this thread or any of its responses serve? Nothing.

That's what I love about the general public. They piece a few pieces of information together to form a passable excuse for a real statement.

OP - so you know it's possible. Please. Enlighten us. Since you know. O wait. You don't. So please stop posting you know something when you obviously don't.

This is one of the biggest effects of Apple joining any market. Ignorance. A lot of people don't realize there are other digital media players besides the iPod. Believe it or not, there are people who've never browsed the internet on a mobile device before the iPhone. While Apple has the commendable effect of bringing powerful technologies into the hands of the non-technical person, it also breeds ignorance.

19. redman042 macrumors 68030

redman042

LOL!!! You said it all!
    (Poor kitty!)

20. navigates macrumors 6502a

What you all say makes total sense but how do you explain this video.

hxxp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKyabqZDumE&feature=related

21. Mike2128 macrumors 6502

Some douche bag kid who probably thinks he's HILARIOUS. It's just a jailbroken iPhone with the carrier name changed. The 611 part was saved in his contacts.

If you think that that video is proof enough, you're beyond help.

22. Flhusky macrumors 6502a

Flhusky

Actually its a great scam to get people to sign up for a $9.99 a month cell phone add on service.

from the link:
    Subscription service: AT&T, Verizon Wireless and US Cellular $9.99/month. T-mobile, Sprint, Nextel, Boost, Alltel, Cellular One & Virgin Mobile $0.99/msg To unsubscribe send stop to 77877. Standard/other charges may apply.

23. jc1350 macrumors 6502a

It doesn't even have to be jail broken. I have my non-jail-broken phone's carrier set to my initials via a simple/elegant program called Caption Crunch. There are 2 versions: 1 for the carrier string, 1 for the time.

http://macdaddyworld.com/2007/12/31/caption-crunch/

24. Alisstar macrumors 6502

Alisstar

Yeah, I'm pretty sure this is a fake. All the possible ways on how this could be debunked has already been listed on this thread.
    :p

25. redman042 macrumors 68030

redman042

I don't even need to see this video to know it is crap. Why? Simple... the iPhone has a GSM chip in it. It is a certifiable fact that GSM chips do not communicate with Verizon CDMA towers. Period.

This guy either hacked the OS to make it look like it's on Verizon, or he has it communicating with Verizon through wifi to a CDMA phone or something like that. I have no idea. But you cannot just walk around town talking on the iPhone on the Verizon network, no matter what genius is hacking it. No way Jose.