getting a 3G tomorrow..need help!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by isoDUB, Feb 20, 2011.

1. isoDUB macrumors newbie

first post!

someone is giving me an iPhone 3G tomorrow and i have some questions. not really familiar with the iPhone, but i have experience with the iPod Touch.

-should i stay on ios4 or downgrade to 3.1.2/3.1.3? which performs better? is stuff like dtunes and custom boot logos ever going to get ios4 support?

-i want to use it on T-Mobile prepaid using only the web daypass. what is the method i should use to unlock, and is there anything special i need to do to set up the iPhone to use with T-Mobile? i don't know the baseband for now if it matters, but i can post it when i get it. also, how do i completely turn off data for when i don't have the web daypass?

-is there any way to downgrade without shsh blobs?

-what is the best method to jailbreak on 3.1.2/3.1.3?

thanks.

2. AlexIamandi macrumors newbie

1. iOS 4 runs slowly on 3g, but if you downgrade to 3.1.3 you can't use the iOS 4 apps;
    2. If you will downgrade to 3.1.3, it's easy to unlock it.
    If it has iOS 4.0.0, it's easy to unlock it though, but if it is 4.2 or 4.3, you can't unlock it right now.
    3. I don't know what shsh bloob means, but it's easy to downgrade. Search for your iOS version on internet, and when you will click restore in iTunes, press shift(for windows only, for mac search on google)
    4.using redsn0w. your phone will be automatically unlocked after jailbreak.

3. isoDUB thread starter macrumors newbie

1. i'm not too worried about official ios4 apps. i'd much rather have ios3 cydia apps.

2. i'd use ultrasn0w to unlock, correct?

3. shsh blobs is like a backup or something. i've heard shift+restore won't work without it.. it didn't on my ipod touch 2G.

4. is there any other method? i'm not sure about redsn0w, because when i used it on my touch, cydia always crashed when i typed in search and up until now i've still never bothered to fix it. makes finding packages a pain in the ass.

4. kre62 macrumors 68000

Your best course of action is to sell the 3G for whatever you can, then pony up a little extra and get yourself a 3GS. The 3G is just a bad product. It's just horrendously slow, too little ram for modern smartphone usage, and an ancient GPU. It's seriously worse then nothing at all.

5. isoDUB thread starter macrumors newbie

i'm not really going to use it as a phone besides the occasional data use (which is why i'm getting the web daypass only) and as an mp3 when playing sports, so getting a 3GS is pretty much a waste of money for me.

6. ulbador macrumors 68000

ulbador

Ha this is full of misinformation. If you downgrade to 3.1.3, you can only easily unlock it if the baseband has never been upgraded. Otherwise you are forced To use the iPad baseband, which has some downsides.

With the 3G, you can restore to any 3.x version, but to restore to a prior 4.x version, you need your shsh on file ad you need to run tiny umbrella.

7. kre62 macrumors 68000

I wouldn't even trust it for those functions.

8. isoDUB thread starter macrumors newbie

is it possible to do it without shsh? i found this guide, not sure if it'll work though..

http://dushmis.wordpress.com/2010/06/23/downgrade-iphone-3g-os-4-0-to-3-1-3-or-lower/

what is bad about the iPad baseband?

and @kre, why not?

9. ulbador macrumors 68000

ulbador

As I mentioned, you can restore to a 3.x version without shsh. And the iPad baseband is permanent, which means you will never be able to restore a stock firmware. The iPad baseband also breaks gps.

10. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

11. isoDUB thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the help guys. i'll try to restore tomorrow when i get the phone and keep you posted.

12. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

Yes, i downgraded without SHSH blobs for my iPhone 3G of 2years+.
    However, i upgraded back to iOS 4.2.1 and jailbroke my phone and downloaded FakeClockUp and now my iPhone 3G is much faster! It's functional enough to last me until the iPhone 5!

13. isoDUB thread starter macrumors newbie

fakeclockup looks cool. too bad i can't get an upgrade until 2012. hopefully the iPhone 6 will be real nice.

14. Eldiablojoe macrumors 6502a

Eldiablojoe

AT&T is advertising they're selling the 3GS 8GB for $49 now. IMHO- a better way to go than the 3G

15. isoDUB thread starter macrumors newbie

sadly that's with contract. i want to go prepaid.