Getting a Car Back On The Road.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Huntn, Feb 13, 2015.

1. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I had an 82 Fiat Spider sitting in my garage for a couple of years undriven and finally want to get it going again. I have been running the engine on a regular basis, but I'm guilty of letting it sit on the tires. I took it around the block today and afraid that I've flat-spotted them, kind of a bouncy jiggly ride. Im going to do this a few more times. I'm hoping that when I get enough nerve to go a little farther that they might correct themselves, but I'm prepared for the worst and tire replacement.

The car seems to be buring some oil, which I don't remember it doing. Thoughts on that? It needs a new muffler, so next week I'm taking it to a shop that works on foreign cars for them to give it the once over. Any personal insight would be appreciated. :)

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

You won't solve the flat spots by driving on them to be honest. It's safer to replace them. And remember next time put the car on axle stands.

The oil will proberly be dry valve stem seals.

3. TPadden macrumors 6502a

Sure he might solve them by driving alone :cool:.

I had 2 residences and often got flat spots that vibrated for 10-50 miles in vehicles that I hadn't moved in 2 or more years; parked in garages out of the sun. Vibrations always went away after being driven.

He'll have to decide whether he feels safe driving on them; I did. :)

4. adk macrumors 68000

adk

5. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

Change the oil for sure. Oil sitting in the head can pool in places it ought not be so after initial running it will burn. When your comfortable with the condition of the tires give it a run on the freeway for a bit and see if it doesn't fix your problems. If not the valve seals in that car are not tough to change I've had four 124's from various years and they all needed valve seals.

6. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

Keep in mid I've been idling the car on a regular basis. When I check the drip stick, the oil has that new oil look. My goal will be to drive the car in the neighborhood with speed limits up to 45mph and see how it goes.

7. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Idling an engine isn't actually good for it. A full service should be done regardless. But it's your car and your choice. But for a few $$$ are you willing to risk it?

8. adk macrumors 68000

adk

That makes it much more necessary to change your oil. When your car is idling at low engine temperatures it uses a much richer mixture (more fuel vs. air). This causes something called fuel dilution, where unburned fuel mixes into the oil and inhibits proper lubrication.

I'd also recommend changing the brake fluid - brake fluid is hygroscopic and water in the fluid lowers its boiling point which can cause loss of brakes if they get too warm. Honda, for example, recommends changing brake fluid every three years regardless of mileage.

9. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

I'm not resisting spending money, just asking. I'd counter that idling the engine is better than than letting for 2 years without running it, but not as good as taking it down the highway. :)

10. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Perfectly fine if you service the car regulary still.

11. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

I will head your advice. Thanks to you and Gav2k. :)

12. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

those were fine looking cars.....what color?

13. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

Greeny gold. I'll get a picture posted soon. :)

I recently had to replace the hazard swich which I've not used, but it decided to break and was causing both turn signals to flash. It sits on the front consol below the radio. I was lucky enough to be able to easily pull out the radio and get at the back side of it and fortunately I could still buy this part new from a Fiat supplier in Fort Worth (Vic's Autosports). :D

Next step is to repair or replace the driver seat which no longer sits upright, but flops back. Right now I have a brace holding it up.

14. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

The only thing I don't like about the last of the spiders is the double power bulge hood.

15. TPadden macrumors 6502a

..... owned several. I'd add the fact that Fiat (Pininfarina) started out with rusty beer cans.

Without the hood bulge the BEST Fiat ever (mostly because it really was a Ferrari) was the Fiat Dino V-6 (1966-73).

[​IMG]

16. Huntn, Oct 18, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2015

Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

Oct 2015 Update on 1982 Fiat Spider 2000- New gas added and new battery. I've had a fuel line repair and and a once over at shop that works on "old cars". I took it in for a State Safety Inspection, but it failed because the head light switch needs to be replaced and they said stopping distance was not adequate. I'll be addressing those.

I also have a driver's seat that the locking mechanism a star and sprocket thingy have stripped and the seat flops back. It won't stay up. The mechanic said he could weld the seat in position, but I'd like to examine alternatives first. I've got some spare seats and want to know if anyone has ever removed a seat on tracks especially for a 1982 Fiat? :):) On the spare seats, the tracks are connected to the seat and there are 4 bolt holes in the tracks. How are you supposed to access these bolts when the seats are installed, just feel under the seat? Any helpful advice or links appreciated.

I'm also looking for info on idle adjustment. When the car is cold, it wants to die instead of idle around 600 rpm.

If anyone needs to know how to replace the hazard switch on one of these cars, I've done that and have helpful notes and photos.. :)

17. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Ah, well, I love those cars - your post, and thread, @Huntn, brings back memories, for a friend of mine had one in the early 80s - best of luck with getting it back on the road in a roadworthy state - and I look forward to seeing some pictures when you feel able to post them.

18. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

I just got back from a drive (in the neighborhood), it did not want to idle until I got it warmed up, the clutch is sticky, the car seems bouncy (need to get those shocks checked), one of the brake pads seems to be rubbing, but that's what bringing back an oler car is all about. :):)

19. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Well, they were one of those cars that the adjective "cool" described and dignified - back in the early 1980s. The individual I knew who had one was a man in his 60s at the time, an incredibly gifted and inspirational medical doctor.

20. OLDCODGER macrumors 6502a

Automatic choke? If so, you have a blockage in the water jacket for the choke/throttle.

21. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

I don't know. Maybe I shoul look into that. :)