Getting a free bumper?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by xXSL1MXx, May 7, 2011.

1. xXSL1MXx macrumors member

I bought an iPhone 4 used and use it for T-Mobile. If I complain about the signal problems, will they care that I have T-Mobile? What do I say? Since I bought it used, the owner probably already asked for a bumper. Will they give me another one if I tell them that I bought it used? What do they ask for? How long does the process take? Thanks.

2. richg916 macrumors regular

Yeah.. good luck with that... I think that offer is over now.. especially since you bought used..

3. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I highly doubt they will give you a bumper. That promotion expired a long time ago. You should probably shell out a few $$ and just go and buy a case yourself rather than going crazy trying to have them give you a bumper (going crazy because it will probably very tough to persuade them in this stage of the game).

I know that these free cases are somehow registered to your account, so they may be able to stop you.

4. patp Guest

the op must live under a rock. welcome to 2011. the free bumper is so 2010!

yeah and apple probably wouldn't be wild about the whole jumping carriers bit either!

5. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

You purchased the iPhone and you can't afford to go and pay $29 for a bumper?? You won't get a free one.

6. BHP41 macrumors 6502a

BHP41

^This is what baffles me about some iPhone owners. They'll spend $300+ on a used phone and then want something that cost $20 for free. :rolleyes:

Edit: I guess I should say Smartphone owners as to not leave out the Android side.

7. And1ss macrumors 6502a

And1ss

If you complain about signal issues, the Apple store will most likely want to check out the phone at the genius bar to document any irregularities. Once they see the "T-mobile", they'll refuse to look at it further.

Go on ebay and buy a 5$ knockoff bumper.

8. ckc macrumors regular

Jeez, how tight can some people be!

9. ucfgrad93, May 8, 2011
    Last edited: May 8, 2011

ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

The free case program ended in either September or October 2010. You are going to have to pay for a bumper if you want one, OP.

10. xXSL1MXx thread starter macrumors member

Damn, we got haters every where! i was just asking! My goodness...

11. patp Guest

silly questions will yield silly answers. what were you really expecting? If you really wanted to know if a free bumper was on the horizon, you could've googled it and easily found that the free bumper deal was over long ago.

don't blame us for you not being informed or not willing to do some basic research before you post. This is not Twitter or Facebook where you post random thoughts. The forum has a small expectancy of it's members to follow the rules. Searching before you post an inane question is one of them.

12. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

Ignore them, they don't represent what the rest of us stand for.

13. xXSL1MXx thread starter macrumors member

I did search; Apple still gives the bumper if you contact them directly through Apple support. I just wanted to know if I'd still be eligible. If everyone else received a free bumper, why shouldn't I? I don't understand why people are getting so mad over this...

14. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

Last I heard they weren't giving out free bumpers to anyone after the "Free Bumper Program" ended. Are you experiencing the attenuation problem?

15. xXSL1MXx thread starter macrumors member

Yea, whenever I hold it with my left hand, the bars drop and the call drops after like ~20 seconds. Only when I hold it with my left hand.

16. WiiDSmoker macrumors 65816

WiiDSmoker

I just called today and they are shipping me a blue bumper free of charge for my White iPhone

17. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

I never really checked which hand I was using, but I had the same problem as well. I actually ended up returning my iPhone 4 because it wasn't as reliable of a phone as my iPhone 3G.

Back to your question, if the previous owner took advantage of the Free Bumper Program, there is no chance they will send you another one. Is T-Mobile an iPhone carrier in your country? If not (like in the US) they may place some of the blame on that considering their network isn't optimized for the iPhone. It never hurts to ask though.

18. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

That's good to know, and a bummer at the same time. It's nice to see them standing behind their product but it's a bummer that people are still experiencing the problem with the white version.

I just noticed that you said they're shipping you a blue one, that's awesome. Black was the only option with the original program.

19. xXSL1MXx thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, i'm going to try calling and see what they say. If they give me it, cool. If not, oh well I'll just by the stupid bumper....
    Thanks.

20. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

If it doesn't work out I'd recommend looking on eBay - I'm sure there are a lot of people that got them but don't want them anymore.

21. WiiDSmoker macrumors 65816

WiiDSmoker

You have to be persistent. I never let a company walk over me.

22. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

While I agree that there are times to stand your ground, I fully believe that you get much further by being polite and courteous than you get from being the "squeaky wheel".

Not saying this is what you do, but I'd much rather get them to help me because they want to help me - not because they want to shut me up.

23. eternlgladiator macrumors 68000

eternlgladiator

I got a free bumper last week from apple with little difficulty but I did just buy new. Buying a used one will probably not qualify you.

24. vinacrom macrumors newbie

Well said sir.

25. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

This is probably one of the best statements I've read on MacRumors ever.