Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

likemyorbs

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 20, 2008
NJ
I keep getting an advertisement for SpeakEvents about once a day when i use siri. Where could this be coming from?

0m3ga

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2012
the proxy you are using would be my guess. likely a way for them to generate revenue. just a guess on my part though.

forza69

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2010
Same here but I get it on my 4S. It's either AssistantExtensions, SiriBoard, or VoiceUtils.

likemyorbs

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 20, 2008
NJ
Same here but I get it on my 4S. It's either AssistantExtensions, SiriBoard, or VoiceUtils.

Must be assistant extensions, because I don't have those other two. It doesn't really bother me I just don't like the look of an ad in Siri.

tctony

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2009
You should probably stop stealing Siri from those of us who actually bought a 4S.

SchuettS

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2008
Must be assistant extensions, because I don't have those other two. It doesn't really bother me I just don't like the look of an ad in Siri.

I just recently started getting them too. I have a tweak to have siri translate words but thats it. Im also using imdzl .

iRooney

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2011
Charleston, SC
I have bunches of Siri add ons and haven't gotten a single ad. What kinds of questions are you guys asking when it spams you? Also, since it appears you're using IMZDL, which server are you on, specifically?

forza69

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

likemyorbs said:

It wouldn't bother me either if it were a retina ad lol

likemyorbs

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 20, 2008
NJ
You should probably stop stealing Siri from those of us who actually bought a 4S.

Boohoo look at me i upgraded from an iPhone 4 just because i wanted siri and now I'm crying because everyone can have siri. :(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

Maybe next time you won't upgrade your phone for software that can easily be ported to all other devices, which btw is still in beta stage. Grow up.

I have bunches of Siri add ons and haven't gotten a single ad. What kinds of questions are you guys asking when it spams you? Also, since it appears you're using IMZDL, which server are you on, specifically?

I use sentinel, the ad can come up from any type of question. It's the only ad that i get and i only get it once a day, very odd. Ill take a screenshot when i get it today.

likemyorbs

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 20, 2008
NJ
Update: Problem solved! I emailed the developer of SpeakEvents and this was his response...

Hello,
this ad is served by AssistantExtensions. If fact I wanted it to show only once a day and only on 2.3.2012. The problem is that even if it is remotely disabled, it shows when you open Siri in less than 30 seconds since respring and I am very sorry for that. :( AE update will fix it (I will remove ad support entirely).

To fix it now at your side, you can remove this file:
/var/mobile/Library/Preferences/.support.plist

Sorry for inconvenience.

We hope this answered your questions.
If not, please reply to this email.

likemyorbs

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 20, 2008
NJ
I noticed we have some whiners here who agree that anyone who doesn't have a 4S shouldn't be using siri and keep downrating my posts, care to speak up?

----------

Hey i'm not stealing, i paid $20 to use that proxy server. I would have gladly paid extra for Siri and apple could have gotten my $20 if they chose not to be douchebags and use beta software as a selling point of their new phone.

EngageWithRage

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2012
Your girlfriend's house
Lol, I got the 4s because of the hardware, not Siri (which is useless in my opinion)..well I wont say useless, I mainly use Siri to ask stupid questions to see what responses I get and setup reminders etc. If I had an iPhone 4 I def wouldn't pay 20 bucks and go through the trouble of setting it up. But that's just me lol

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Jul 10, 2008
Update: Problem solved! I emailed the developer of SpeakEvents and this was his response...

Hello,
this ad is served by AssistantExtensions. If fact I wanted it to show only once a day and only on 2.3.2012. The problem is that even if it is remotely disabled, it shows when you open Siri in less than 30 seconds since respring and I am very sorry for that. :( AE update will fix it (I will remove ad support entirely).

To fix it now at your side, you can remove this file:
/var/mobile/Library/Preferences/.support.plist

Sorry for inconvenience.

We hope this answered your questions.
If not, please reply to this email.

Thanks for this info, what file is it though? .support.plist?

I see this:

com.apple.assistant.support.plist

likemyorbs

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 20, 2008
NJ

I see this:

com.apple.assistant.support.plist

Wow good question, i didn't notice the mistake because i didn't even attempt to do it. Ill email the dev back now and ask him the file name.

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Jul 10, 2008
Wow good question, i didn't notice the mistake because i didn't even attempt to do it. Ill email the dev back now and ask him the file name.

Thanks, I appreciate it. I was about to uninstall AssistantExtensions.

dZp

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2006
It is .support.plist
It's a hidden/invisible file because of the '.'
In iFile's Preferences, enable 'Hidden Files', and you'll see the file.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.