Getting an electric shock with new MBP 15" TB

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ZeDog, Dec 26, 2016.

1. ZeDog macrumors member

ZeDog

I am getting mild electric shocks by touching the case of the new MBP 15" while it is plugged to the power supply.
    I also found the culprit: It is the connector! Apple has decided not to include the cable extension, which has a ground. The small plug included with the new MBP has no ground, therefor I get small and mild electric shocks.
    Now I have to buy the electric cable extension, which were usually included in previous MBP.

2. azpekt macrumors regular

it aint having thunderbolt for no reason

3. ZeDog thread starter macrumors member

ZeDog

I don't understand what you mean

4. spesifikbrush macrumors regular

spesifikbrush

It is normal tbh, since it is a full metal casing. It happens on my iPad too, but veeery mild.

5. SoyCapitanSoyCapitan

It's called static but I haven't felt it since 1st gen PowerBook G4 17"

6. curmudgeonette macrumors 6502

This isn't static electricity.

Instead, it is due to the RF filters on the AC input of the power brick. By functional necessity, the filter is across all three wires: hot, neutral, and ground. If ground isn't connected, the filter will impose an AC voltage on the ground pin. Further, the computer case is wired to the earth ground pin. Thus, the imposed AC voltage will also appear on the computer case.

7. SoyCapitanSoyCapitan

So why not widely reported when it is the fastest selling machine of the year?

8. curmudgeonette macrumors 6502

Because the user also has to be contact with a grounded surface? While the laptop is plugged into AC power, and not itself on a grounded surface, nor connected to some peripheral that is grounded?

Like you, I last felt this on my PowerBook G4 12" - but only when abroad, running on 240VAC. Not at home on 120VAC. The lower voltage would result in lower current - perhaps below the detection level.

9. No. 44 macrumors member

No. 44

10. duervo macrumors 68020

duervo

This type of issue has been reported with MacBook Pros for years. It's always been resolved by users connecting the extension cable to their power adapter, which adds the ground connection, resolving the problem. It is not static electricity.

Since Apple has taken away the extension cable now, making it an additional purchase, the frequency of these types of reports are going to increase. Maybe a sticky post about this issue would be warranted at this point, or even a sticky with a summary of most common issues and solutions.

11. Trixs macrumors regular

I've had this on every aluminum macbook I've owned including the 2016 pro. Though it's not really giving me any electric shocks, I can feel it on the case. It also introduces a lot of static noise on my QC20 earphones.

As has been said, grounding solves the issue, but I'm often abroad where they have outlets without grounding.