iPad Getting an iPad today - Air vs Air 2

Discussion in 'iPad' started by ZachSpringman, Oct 20, 2014.

1. ZachSpringman macrumors member

I'm making my first iPad purchase today and I'm heavily leaning towards the Air 1, simply because of the price drop and it seems to have just enough for me. Touch ID isn't that important to me (I have an iPhone 6 128GB), and space also won't be too much of a factor either because I will be storing most music on my iPhone.

My question then is what is the REAL advantage of getting the Air 2 besides:
    - Touch ID
    - The new chip
    - The new Thinness (which doesn't make a big difference to me)

I have to ask here because I haven't found an article really answering this for me. Any feedback would be appreciated.:)

2. addictzz macrumors 6502

If u're confused, might wanna wait for reviews and teardowns.

Anyway, Air 2 has:
    Improved rear camera at 8MP
    Improved laminated display
    802.11ac wifi
    Faster LTE
    Possible 2GB RAM
    Apple SIM

3. ZachSpringman thread starter macrumors member

Well that might sum it up for me then. Probably won't be using the camera, and I'm just getting the WiFi version. However the 2GB of RAM and Laminated Display might make me consider it. I'll just have to wait.

4. Oli20 macrumors member

This is always a tough decision, the questions I always ask myself is how long will I keep it before I replace it. If you get a new one every few years that I would say the Air 1 is fine, I have one and love it. If you will keep it until it dies then you really might want to consider the Air 2. Here is why:

1) Developers tend to build things toward the latest spec'd hardware. While they try and maintain backward compatibility it doesn't always provide the best experience.

2) While Apple supports older products with newer iOS updates it isn't always the best idea to load them (think 4s and iOS8)

So, if you are going to keep it for the long haul the extra dollars up front IMHO are worth it. My definition of when something is "broken" or "doesn't work" isn't necessary when I can't turn it on, but when it doesn't do what I need it to do. I find most of my Mac's have fit this, they still function they just get too old. Now something I replace pretty consistent like my iPhone I don't worry nearly as much about being top of the line all the time because I will change it out before I run into a "too old" problem.

Hope this helps......

5. addictzz macrumors 6502

I agree with Oli20. When in doubt, buy the latest one. The price difference isnt that much considering the tech gap between 2. And the (possibly) 2GB RAM could last the Air 2 for quite sometime.

6. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

iPad Air is still great.

However, iPad Air 2 is thinner, faster, lighter, better screen, better camera and Touch ID.

It's a fairly substantial upgrade to be honest.

7. threelions macrumors regular

Wait for reviews or at least until you can go to a store and use one in person.

8. ZachSpringman thread starter macrumors member

Thank you for all the insight...I'll be going to the store today to check it out.

9. SincereReal macrumors newbie

I just got a iPad Air 32gb a few weeks ago before the price drop.
    Thinking about taking it back, and either repurchasing it for the lower price or just ordering the iPad Air 2.
    So I understand your dilemma.

10. acastic macrumors regular

also check out the refurb section on Apple's website if you are planning on going with an Air 1.

11. addictzz macrumors 6502

You might not find it in store today. Air 2 is expected to hit the stores around this Friday. Reviews and teardown will hit the internet 1-2 days prior that.

12. andyw715 macrumors 6502a

This is the answer if you are in a money pinch.... new Air 2 (16GB) are 499.
    16GB refub Air is 339.

And additional storage bumps are $50, cellular versions are $100 bump.

13. Jawnathin, Oct 20, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2014

Jawnathin macrumors 6502

Thanks for posting this. I just checked the refurb store and the 64GB Air with cellular is a pretty killer deal at $539 if you ask me. That would have just gotten you a base wifi only model when new.

Add in the $100 discount for a 2 year data plan and it's very cheap.

14. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Well said. I would get the Air 2 for exactly these reasons, OP.

15. Ledgem macrumors 65816

Ledgem

The Air 2 also has the A8X chipset, whereas the Air has the A7. Not that the A7 is dated by any means (it's still a strong performer compared to modern competing Android devices in benchmarks - it was truly a chipset that was ahead of its time), but the A8X will be better, of course.

I have purchased three iPads thus far, and all were 16 GB. It used to be fine, but now I'll be buying in the 64 GB variety, if not larger. A new 16 GB iPad has about 11 GB of usable space. I find that my photo stream and Messages attachments have grown to eat up about 5 GB on their own. The new Messages auto-delete feature introduced in iOS 8 helps to keep this manageable, but unless you're willing to disconnect your iPad from your Photostream (or if you don't take many photos) then that'll still be an issue. Throw in my e-books and a few apps, and I find that I need to regularly clear apps and books to make room for others. It's doable, but isn't part of the appeal of these devices that we can carry almost everything with us?

Notice that I haven't even talked about games yet. Wish I could... but I don't have the space for many of them. They're all close to or upwards of 1 GB, and while some of my iPads might handle the install, they'll start throwing "low space" warnings left and right.

If you're thinking of using this as a trial to see how the iPad fits into your life, the 16 GB model isn't a bad choice to start with. If you already have a good idea about it and/or don't plan to sell and upgrade often, I think it'd be worth it to at least go for the 32 GB version (64 GB if you go for the Air 2).

16. rotation macrumors member

rotation

I would def go Air 2. Apple has made big improvements over A7.

17. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

Not really though. The camera updates are of dubious value seeing as not a ton of people seem to care. Thinner and lighter...yes but by extremely trivial amounts. Faster? Probably but it isn't going to be night and day and may not even be felt in some cases. The Touch ID is another take or leave it for lots of people. That feature seems to to resonate with phone users more.

The screen is the only part that intrigued me being an Air owner but my screen looks terrific as is so although I'm sure it's better I doubt it will be THAT much better.

Not dissing the Air 2, far from it. I just don't think people that own an Air need to go and rush out to get it. Nor do people that just want a tablet for the basics. They'd be better off saving money and getting a previous gen device, IMO.

18. jfyrfytr25 macrumors 6502a

jfyrfytr25

To me if you are questioning it then you are trying to convince yourself to settle for the cheaper. don't underestimate how heavy that thing will get. While they feel light when you first pick them up, they get HEAVY with extended use. Which makes me say that If I was choosing between the 2 I would always get the lighter one.

Also, I think that if there is anything in this world we should have security on it is our mobile products. Unfortunately, before touchID I just left my devices wide open. entering a code was such a pain in the *** that I just would not do it even though I knew I should. With TouchID I can secure it without inconvenience and that is awesome.

To me, (and I urge you to consider these reasons) for the $100 price difference the lighter device and the security is a no brainer. Not to mention that if you plan on keeping it for a few years, why buy year old hardware. Buy the latest so that it can make the longevity.

19. jvette macrumors 6502

jvette

One of the main reasons I purchased the Air 2 is because of the Apple Sim. I now have choices of carriers in the same unit.

20. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

not much to check out if you want to see an Air 2. not in stores til sometime this week.

21. addictzz macrumors 6502

Funny how this convenience means a lot to us. I used to turn on passcode lock for a few months and got fed up with entering codes everytime my phone's screen off. In the end I remove the codes. Touch ID could help me to secure my mobile device again.

22. Ledgem macrumors 65816

Ledgem

This might still be useful if you're using devices without TouchID: starting with iOS 6, Apple added a feature regarding unlocking with a passcode. You could choose from a number of defined times (1 minute, 5 minutes, 15 minutes), and once unlocked, your phone would not require a passcode until it had been sitting unused for the amount of time specified. This presented a bit of a security risk, but it reduced frustrations. It's one thing to pull out of your phone and enter a code when you haven't touched your phone in a while; it's another to be texting back and forth with someone and having to unlock the phone each time.

To activate this feature, go to Settings > Passcode (called "Touch ID & Passcode" on devices with a TouchID sensor) and then scroll to "Require Passcode." By default it's probably set to "Immediately." Note that if you're using a device with a TouchID sensor and have fingerprints registered, you'll only be able to choose "Immediately."

23. ZachSpringman thread starter macrumors member

Getting an iPad today - Air vs Air 2

I grabbed the Air 32GB for $450 today - I'm going to see how I like it (I have a 30 day return window at Best Buy) and at worst just bring it back and get the Air 2 if necessary. The only negative thing I'm noticing so far with the Air 1 on iOS 8 is the scrolling through home screens is choppy and quick reply on the lockscreen to an SMS is also choppy.

Edit: I also should mention - I am missing touch ID from my iPhone 6..lol

24. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

Make sure you update to iOS 8.1 which should smooth things out a bit. I bet you'll like your Air. It's a terrific tablet.