Getting an iPad tomorrow! Stupid or not???

Discussion in 'iPad' started by fel10, Nov 5, 2010.

1. fel10, Nov 5, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2010

fel10 macrumors 68000

fel10

So I'm going to the Apple store tomorrow to get the 64GB iPad, as an early Christimas present from my mother. And I was wondering if I should wait, since the next gen of iPads will be here soon, or just go head and get it.

I heard that the big thing for the next gen is the camera. And since I already have an iPod Touch 4G, the camera won't be very useful to me. So should I wait or not?

2. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Nobody knows when the next iPad revision will be released and any dates, etc ares nothing more than speculation. If the iPad does what you want it to do now then get it now: it will continue to work just fine when an update is released ;)

3. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

Apple are going to sell millions of iPads over the Christmas period.

Sure, they'll replace them next year - but probably in Q2.

If you need it now then buy it. I'm sure they'll retain their value if you want to sell and upgrade next year (that's what I'm going to do).

4. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

The iPad is fantastic just as it is.

Sure it will get better. But what piece of kit doesn't?

Frankly, I wouldn't drop the money on the 64GB. It's not an ideal iPod, and you can always swap movies in and out if that's what you're using it for. You'll pay a lot for all that storage.

5. Tomple macrumors 6502a

Tomple

Great device, as you already know, and i don't find that an update is necessary.

Go for it!

6. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

If you _must_ then buy it.

If you can wait, you'll be so happy you did. The 2nd generation of any Apple product is always so far superior, reliable and better. That's the reason I tried one but sold it after the newness wore off. It just didn't seem worth it.

7. newdeal, Nov 5, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2010

newdeal macrumors 68020

You should definitely buy it, no point in waiting and even if it is updated your mom doesn't need a camera. How many people use the webcam on a computer, almost none. By the time face time is useful (aka over 3G not just wifi) the rev 3 iPad will be out

8. koobcamuk macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

For some reason, the resale value on iPads is utterly terrible. I can't sell mine and I really need the money.

9. mcnallym, Nov 5, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2010

mcnallym macrumors 6502a

This is a present FROM his mother, however I would agree that if already has an Ipod Touch 4G then he isn't going to miss the camera anyway.

Depends on if they get a Retina Display similar to the Iphone 4 as to wether really worth waiting however as we won't know and you can always play the waiting game.

I can see the iPad joing the phone and touch on a roughly 12 month refresh cycle.

10. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I am loving using my iPad right now and not dreaming about what I am going to do with an iPad in the future

11. bornblind macrumors 6502

bornblind

I say get it. I went ahead and bought one last Saturday. I am just loving it. Even when the new one comes out I don't think that having the first gen will be that bad.

12. Don Kosak macrumors 6502a

Don Kosak

The next gen iPad probably won't even be announced until March. No one knows yet what it might have as far as specs or features.

If you have an opportunity to get one like 5 months before the next version comes out, go for it.

13. Amazing Iceman macrumors 68040

Amazing Iceman

That's why you should get the iPad 3G instead. It's way more useful than the regular iPad that only has WiFi.
    Yes dude, go get your iPad today and be happy. And don't forget to write. :D

14. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

lol! first time i read the OPs post i saw "for" not "from" and i was like thats so sweet. lol!

but yeah def. buy it now. if you want to wait , wait. but remember, things are gonna change constantly. in fact apple could redesign the whole iPad if they want. any thing is possible with Apple's secretive behaviors.

think about it this way. if you wait, youre gonna always wait, and youre gonna want this newer product. comes 2011 Q2, youre gonna see the iPad and the new 16" inch MBP, sleek in design, hefty is smell, smooth as your GF's legs. then you would want that. so then it comes to that or iPad.

what im getting at, is apple is mischievous. the pattern it sends out for its updates are astonishing. What apple could do is change the iPad around, remove the 16 GB model, and lift the prices of the 64 GB model. they can do anything. they might, they might not. it depends on how many people have bought the iPad 16GB, etc.

this logic may sound bad, but think about it. apple doesn't let anyone know about its products, but lets minor things slip. for example, just recently, the whole iphone 4 things (THAT CAME IN BLACK OR WHITE!!!). they knew people would flip over hte new iPhone. they also knew that they would have to sneak some details so people get excited. Sure they may not increase the price all the time, but you never know.
    it also works the other way, they cna drop prices like the MBA. anything is possible.

stick with the present and be happy
    stick with the future and hope that apple comes out with a Q2 design, which COULD HAPPEN ANYTIME, Q1, Q2,Q3,Q4..

its your choice

(haha see what i did with "present"-- sry i just noticed that LOL!)

*also i noticed that one buyer's guide, we do not have a section for the iPad? any reasons why, or is it because its still 1st gen, thats why?

sry i wrote too much. but its morning time and i think my best at 6:00 AM Woot!

source:
    Im getting my own iPad soon and a MBP im so happy!

15. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

its a stupid question, but if you do buy the 3G version, don't you have to have the ATT 3G plan? or is it not necessary but better retail value?

16. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

You can turn the 3G off/on in 30 day time periods. Not a requirement to have on all the time - no contract!

We have one of each, I'd buy them just like i did again. 32gb wifi for my daughter, 32gb 3G for myself (bought instead of a new smartphone with a data contract).

I'd like to pick up another wifi for the other 2 kids to share, but I have a few issues to sort out toward the beginning of the year.

17. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

4 to 6 Months is not really soon IMO ;)

18. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Yes, that's exactly why. The buyers guide predicts the next update by averaging times between previous updates. Since the iPad has never been updated, there's no previous update history to average.

19. SA22C macrumors regular

If it were me, I'd go to the 32 GB 3G model rather than the 64 GB WiFi. I have a 32 WiFi and I haven't filled it up yet but I find from time-to-time that having 3G would be beneficial.

The 4.2 software is going to drop soon and it makes a huge difference! The iPad is actually useful with the new build installed and is quite suitable for work and play.

20. MsMerryMac macrumors regular

I originally purchased the 32 3G but took it back about three hours later for the 32 WIFI. I couldn't justify paying for 3G on the rare times that I MIGHT use it and would have rather put the money towards a case and keyboard. I am so glad I didn't get the 64g because I haven't even used a quarter of my space and can't imagine how I would ever fill 64. I have loads of movies but don't need them all on at the same time. I have iWork apps on my iPad and tons of documents, games, photos, videos and still almost all my storage left.

Get the 32 Wifi and spend the xtra on goodies!

21. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

I agree with this advices, I got the 32GB Wifi and it is perfect, I can fit everything i got, I sill got some space left, and I got a JBed iP4 that I can tether so no really need to pay for the 3G radio on my iPad.

22. poloponies macrumors 68030

My 2cents on the 3G/Wifi issue is that it really depends on how you'll use it. Since my purchase I've taken the iPad to Europe for 2 weeks as well as on several business trips within the US (and the occasional weekend away). 3G made a huge difference. People will tell you that free Wifi is everywhere, but somehow it's never where I end up. Aside from the occasional hotel lobby or McDonald's in Europe, Wifi is not freely available. Also on road trips it's a great to have the 3G.

And if you need more storage for video content, then get the camera connector kit and you'll have unlimited expandability via SD cards.

23. Saberon macrumors 6502a

Here's my take

If you know you need 3G, you will have bought the 3G without any doubt in your mind. If you have some doubts about it, you probably should go with WiFi only

24. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Personally I went with the WiFi model because I have a MiFi device for internet access whilst out and about. The advantage of doing it this way is that I can also use the MiFi for FaceTime calls from anywhere.
    The disadvantage is that it's an extra device to carry around, but it's only small and it lasts for pretty much 5 hours between charges.

25. poloponies macrumors 68030

The other thing about the 3G model is that GPS-enabled apps are pretty common and getting cooler by the day.