getting an ipod touch soon, questions

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by misternamo, Jul 17, 2011.

1. misternamo macrumors newbie

I plan on buying a 4g ipod touch from amazon in august and reading up on how to jailbreak it.
    What firmware will it come with? Im worried that itll come with 4.3.4 and I won't be able to do an untethered jailbreak.

2. Abs_p macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Wait for 5th gen which is coming this fall as per rumours go.

3. palpatine macrumors 68040

i wouldn't wait around for rumored devices (i heard september), but i suppose that you might as well if you aren't in a rush. i don't see much point in jailbreaking it. is there something you plan to do with it?

4. pepi macrumors member

Sure hope you don't "Brick" it jailbreaking. I would try it out first. I don't see a lot of advantage jailbreaking.

5. quizzi macrumors regular

quizzi

I doubt the iPod Touches sold on Amazon would be at the latest iOS 4.3.4 as they would need to stock a bulk number of iPods to meet consumer demand, thus may have bought them prior to the iOS 4.3.4 release.

But it's anyone's guess really. Even the people at Amazon might not know, unless they were informed by Apple prior to them receiving their stock.

6. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

By the time you buy your iPod, I'm willing to bet it will be JB-able untethered

7. palpatine macrumors 68040

depending on what you plan to do with it, especially if you are really into changing wallpapers and modifying screens, i can kind of see why someone might want to try jailbreaking. but, it seems like a lot more work than it is worth. the apple experience, especially with so many apps available nowadays, is fine on its own. of course, you can use those apps with the jailbroken ipod, but why bother to jailbreak it then?

8. misternamo thread starter macrumors newbie

Im hoping on getting it before i go to college on 8/25. Going to be dorming 8 hours from home,so im not bring my games with it.
    I planning on mostly using it for social media things and be playing games on it. i want to jailbreak it to get more customization and options out of it.
    If i order it on august 5, will it be more likely to come with ios 4.3.3 or ios 4.3.4

9. I like all OS's macrumors newbie

I like all OS's

Jailbreaking is VERY simple I don't get why people fear it >_< Chances are it'll come with something like 4.3.x on it so jailbreaking untethered out of the box is a guarantee. But yeah I jailbroke my first iPod when it still considered "ilegal" years ago and I'm running a 4th gen iPhone 4.2.1 jailbroken, no regrets whatsoever. On top of that if you decide to wait for a still RUMORED device I promise you they'll do what they did with the iPad which is work around the hardware exploit that the developers have used to jailbreak devices until now.

10. irishtike macrumors member

Weather or not is has 4.3.4, it's not hard to find a ipsw and restore to an earlier version. And then Jailbreakme.com will work great!

11. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

True if u have your blobs saved. Otherwise u can't go back, only forward.

12. fabian9 macrumors 65816

fabian9

That's so 2007. It's impossible to brick an iOS device through jailbreaking now.

13. quizzi macrumors regular

quizzi

Unless you have an iPhone and aren't that tech savvy to know how to 'unlock' them from their carrier. ;)

14. Tech Elementz macrumors 6502

First of all, why don't you buy it from Apple?

Second of all, I suggest you asked the seller for the iOS version.

Third of all, iOS 4.3.4 is patching up the PDF exploit that Jailbreakme 3.0 uses. However, there are many other ways to do an untethered jailbreak.

15. Tech Elementz macrumors 6502

People do not fear it. Some people just do not find a use for it anymore. :)

16. Tech Elementz macrumors 6502

That is true with the 6.15 iPad baseband unlock it is. With ultrasnow and other unlockable basebands, it should not be any more harder than it needs to be. However, you never know...

17. palpatine macrumors 68040

no fear. i just don't see the point in going through the hassle. i haven't seen a single app yet on the jailbroken ipods that make it seem worthwhile. but, that is just me. i don't want to mess around with customizing it, because it already does everything i want it to do :)

i agree with you about the upcoming ipod. i'd buy the current generation if you plan to jailbreak it. everyone knows how to handle it. the new one is an unknown entity. however, i am sure someone will figure it out eventually. they always do :)

18. gaugebosons macrumors newbie

One word: SBSettings. And perhaps landscape rotation lock. Everything else is icing on the cake.

But you will not take my SBSettings away from me!!!

:p