Getting apple to repair/replace my iphone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by eshiku, Jul 9, 2009.

1. eshiku macrumors member

i have a 2g iphone that i bought from ebay. been using it for about 2 months now, and it started to act up on me. one of the issue that i have is at random, when i pick up a call i would not be able to hear the other side, and i have to restart to get it working.

the phone is still covered by AppleCare Protection Plan, i want to bring it in to the store and have them fix this or replace it if it can't be fixed. but the thing is that i have Tmobile, i dont have a ATT sim.

Has anyone tried bringing there phone in for warranty without a ATT sim card? did they give you problem(s)? how did you get them to repair/replace the phone? TIA for helping :)

*btw the phone has been dropped before, there is a dent on the top left on the phone, will this void the warranty?

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Just take your T-Mobile SIM out and take the phone to the Apple Store and explain the problem. Also, dents do not necessarily void your warranty.

3. tabasco70 macrumors 6502

T-Mobile sim? If you're in the US, i'm guessing its been unlocked.
    If your device is jailbroken and running yellowsn0w/ultrasn0w or some sort of unlocking software, you need to restore your phone using iTunes.
    This erases the phone of all its contents, but you can re-sync them later.
    If you show up to Apple with a jailbroken phone, they'll void your warranty.

4. thecellar macrumors regular

do you use headphones alot...i remember when i had my 2g, sometimes after i removed my headphones from the jack, the phone would not recognize they had been removed and i would not be able to hear anything until i inserted and removed them again..

5. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

+1 ^^^ It might take more than a couple times to get it working, but I remember this same situation on my v1 iPhone....

6. eshiku thread starter macrumors member

i don't use the headset at all, so i think that wouldn't be the problem

i restored my phone and went in today, they said he can't help me without a active At&t sim, then i tried to use my pay-as-you-go card on it. they said that won't work either..... when i was leaving, they told me that i need to bring in the same card that was used to activate this phone if i wanted to fix the phone.

what else can i do to get them to fix it? will mail in warranty require the sim card also?

7. lnguyen418 macrumors newbie

i'm curious to see if you got this resolved? stuck in the same boat and worried apple won't accept my non-activated locked phone. mailing it to them tomorrow...

8. goMac macrumors 603

You need to have a sim in there to replicate the problem. You can't tell them that calls drop, and then tell them you don't have a sim for it, that doesn't make sense.

The alternative is you tell them you jailbroke your phone, which means you get no support anyway.

9. lnguyen418 macrumors newbie

not unless you are willing to pay for the out of warranty service.
    They're pretty nice. They just said as long as it's not in pieces, they'll replace it. I talked them into waiving the advanced replacement fee of $29 and a free pair of iphone headphones with my replacement.
    I got the broken phone free from a friend so $200 out of pocket to switch off with a iPhone and Blackberry isn't too bad. Being a ridiculous douche is just the downfall...