Getting iMac in a year, what MacBook should I get now

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ZarieoZ, Sep 11, 2011.

1. ZarieoZ macrumors newbie

Hello,

I would really like help in this matter, I am getting an iMac 27" (8gb ram, 1tb, highest i7 processor & highest graphics card) in may 2012.

I have a 5 Years old toshiba(not dying from old age only) & I want to replace it by mbp. I don't know the best specificatios for me. I don't travel alot and I don't work outdoors alot so my entire work would be on iMac and the mbp would be for portability purposes in and outside home.

I use photoshop, may use 3d max on a year or something, anything stronger than that would be in the far future(no need to think about it now)...

Please don't recommend iPad, I already have one plus no photoshop for it anyway.

My dad insist that I can get a non-apple i7 along with the iMac laptop instead of getting i5 mbp laptop along with the iMac.

What's your opinion?:confused:

2. Young Spade macrumors 68020

My opinion is to search and read the countless threads that have already been created with the exact same question.

3. ZarieoZ thread starter macrumors newbie

The problem is I already read, but I am not comparing iMac to mbp. I think you didn't even read what i wrote. I am already going to get the iMac next year( no question about that). I want to know the specifications that suit me for the mbp that I'm getting NOW.

4. Young Spade macrumors 68020

*leaves*

5. ZarieoZ thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you young spade,
    If you are not going to help, you shouldn't have commented at all and giving somebody the feeling that there is someone out there to help them. Thank you anyway.

In my country macs cost 15,000 to 17,000 ( & not even the best quality macs offered by apple) it's alot. So, it's a somewhat a hard decision to make.

6. danpass macrumors 68020

danpass

no video editing?

base MBP 13in i5 should be fine

7. ZarieoZ thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you so much danpass, I would like to get a 15" (never liked 13"), I also thought i5 is enough since I'll have iMac to support it. But will it be enough for opening photoshop(large files), iTunes & many taps in safari.. Multitasking in general.

8. merrickdrfc macrumors 6502

I really do think you're buying more than you need.

I do a lot of Photoshop work, alongside iOS and Android development on my 13" MBA (1.7GHz i5, 4GB RAM) and it never bogs down. On a normal day I have many tabs of Safari open, Mail, Xcode, Photoshop, Dreamweaver, iTunes and occasionally FCP X running. The computer seems to cope fine.

A 13" MBA has a higher res screen than a 13" MBP, meaning it is almost on par (in terms of resolution) with a 15" MBP. The SSD in a MBA means it is much quicker than a MBP, and unless you need dedicated graphics the integrated GPU is barely noticeable unless doing gaming. Also the Turboboost feature of the Sandy Bridge i5 means the CPU is also on par with a 13" MBP.

I use my MBA as a secondary machine to my iMac, and it never slows down, I would consider myself a 'power' user, as I have to do heavy multitasking.

Just my opinion

9. Rasan macrumors member

I have the Air and Imac combination as well, and till now i like it a lot(only got the MBA a few days ago). Photoshop is handled easily by the MBA. I think it should handle 3ds max nice. I've read that maya runs nice on the MBA, altough i havent testet it myself (yet). I was running 3ds max on my old windows pc that is a lot weaker, so it should be fine.

10. ZarieoZ thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you merrickdrfc & rasan..

I considered what you said & searched the prices
    MBA 13" 1.86Ghz intel core 2 due, 4gb ram, 256gb ssd is 13,999 L.E.
    MBP 15" 2.4Ghz intel core i5, 4gb ram, 320 ATA is 11,999 L.E.

They are both really expensive here. So, what should I do??

11. ZarieoZ thread starter macrumors newbie

I guess i'll wait for christmas discounts and get a 2.2Ghz quad core i7 for the price of the i5 or a bit higher (in my country anyway).

12. merrickdrfc macrumors 6502

Well the MBP in this case is a much more future-proof machine considering that the C2D CPU is now old. If this is all that is available, the MBP is the better option. However if you can get your hands on a 2011 MBA (Sandy Bridge) they are much more powerful machines, making use of the i5 and i7 CPU.

The SSD will give the MBA the edge in speed, but the C2D may bog down in CPU intensive tasks such as photoshop and 3DS Max. Its your choice at the end of the day, but if possible I would recommend a 13" 2011 MBA for your uses. Its portable, powerful and extremely comfortable for long amounts of time doing work due to the high screen res.

Out of the two you have listed, go for the MBP.

13. ZarieoZ thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you,
    I'll wait for Christmas & probably try to buy the MBP from US for better upgrades.. I'll get it SSD & high resolution screen ( then mbp I mentioned was high resolution as well). But I don't like the MBA's 13" limit.

14. NorCalLights macrumors 6502a

I can't recommend the top of the line 13" MBA enough... especially if you're going to pair it with an iMac.

In the short term, you might feel cramped by the screen size, but in the long term, you might enjoy the portability.

15. ZarieoZ thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh, sorry, but does apple even throw a Christmas discount??

16. ZarieoZ thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for these advices, I'll think of the MBA but I'm not entirely sure I'll get it. As my dad think that the pro would be better to accompany the iMac in the future, Is this the best specs for me:
    2.0 quad core i7 (why isn't there i5 any more? it would suit me better!!)
    4gb ram
    128 ssd
    High resolution screen

The MBA is more affordable than the MBP so I'll give it a thought after comparing it's specifications. Also MBA is only dual core.

Really, thank you guys for your help, it's really hard to take such decisions especially that I'm already going to buy an iMac. Thank you..
    I'm open to studying other opinions if anybody have anything to say.. Welcome

17. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

I sold my MBP 15 inch 2010 model with i5 and got a MBA a few weeks ago.
    I bought the 13 inch MBA and to be honest, with normal use like web, some light photoshoping it feels faster than the 2010 MBP.

The 13 inch MBA has the same res as the standard MBP 15 and I really haven't felt the difference in size that much, but I really feel the difference in weight when carrying it around.

The reason I sold the MBP was because I already have a desktop and I think MBA+desktop is a way better solution than MBP and desktop, unless you need some really heavy work on the road.

If you are coming from a 2006 model Toshiba, everything is gonna be super fast . The 2011 MBA i5 CPU is almost as fast as the i5 (2.4GHz) MBP.

Take a look here:
    http://www.barefeats.com/mba11_04.html

18. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

LOL we are opposite :) i never liked the 15" or 17" the speaker grills are bleh IMO, I like the 13" ANYWAY

I think that the base 15" will be fine because you said you are getting an iMac that is very powerful, The iMac could do the heavy lifting and your MBP could do the lighter stuff :) hope I helped

19. applefan289 macrumors 68000

13" Macbook Air (if you don't need a disc drive). The form factor is to die for.

20. ZarieoZ thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks cluthz.. Yup anything would be faster.. Thanks for the link, it's loading right now

Thanks wrinkster22.. Well, I always felt that a screen couldn't be less than 15". & although other replies got me thinking about getting a MBA, If I ended up getting a MBP I'll only upgrade it to 128GB ssd & a high resolution screen.

Thanks applefan289.. Yup I don't need a disc drive, I never use mine, I'll think about the MBA..

Now, I am either getting this:

MBP
    4GB RAM
    2.0GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7
    128GB Solid State Drive
    High resolution screen

OR

MBA
    4GB RAM
    1.8GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i7
    256GB Flash Storage

I still don't know which though!!
    Thank you all for your advices..

21. ZarieoZ thread starter macrumors newbie

Do you know if any Mac is upadated with sandy bridge, and which??
    Cause it doesn't mention that on apple's site while people have been saying from may 2011 that they were updated with sandy bridge & thunderbolt.. I only find thunderbolt in the description..

22. Michael383 macrumors 6502a

Both of your choices are good but I'd go for this one.

MBP
    4GB RAM
    2.0GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7
    128GB Solid State Drive
    High resolution screen

23. ZarieoZ thread starter macrumors newbie

24. Young Spade macrumors 68020

Do you actually read? Like, the words on the page? Ever since they implemented SNB processors they plaster it all over the place.

Tech specs page would be your best bet.