Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

eastamherstbias

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 18, 2012
I sold my ipad 3 LTE and I was thinking of just picking up an Ipad 4 wifi version and then returning it for the LTE version once it comes out. I was trying to figure out it was worth the hassle.

stringbeanie

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2008
Southern California
It's a morally wrong thing to do because your intent was never to keep it from the start. Apple will have to sell it as refurbished after you do that. That's the kind of thing that ruins it for everyone. If enough people do that, everyone will get stuck with restocking fees again.

JohnnyAndre

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2007
California
It's a morally wrong thing to do because your intent was never to keep it from the start. Apple will have to sell it as refurbished after you do that. That's the kind of thing that ruins it for everyone. If enough people do that, everyone will get stuck with restocking fees again.

It's morally wrong for Apple not to have their **** stocked on day one. They didn't have 64 GB iPhones on launch, should I feel bad that a 700 million dollar company had to eat the price of the 32gb I had to buy? Maybe they should have held off on the wifi models until they got cellular, to avoid the situation.

Hammie

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2009
Wash, DC Metro
It's morally wrong for Apple not to have their **** stocked on day one. They didn't have 64 GB iPhones on launch, should I feel bad that a 700 million dollar company had to eat the price of the 32gb I had to buy? Maybe they should have held off on the wifi models until they got cellular, to avoid the situation.

Patience is a virtue.

Nobody NEEDS these items on launch day. If you can't wait, then you must have bigger problems. This is morally wrong. This behavior is on par with people buying handbags and clothes to wear to an event and then return them afterwards because they did not cut off the tags.

JohnnyAndre

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2007
California
Um. Guess what, after waiting in line for who knows how long, and 30 minutes before they sell the product they come out saying "lol sorry no 64s" I'm not gonna even start to feel bad about returning my 32 for a 64 a few weeks later. Anyone who would feel this is morally wrong is an idiot.

"Oh I feel so bad that this 700 million dollar company has to eat $200 because they didn't have their **** together"

Perhaps buying a wifi iPad 4 just to return it is a little extreme, but I'm sure this is something thousands of people will take advantage of, and could have been avoided had both versions of the slate went on sale at the same time.

JohnnyAndre

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2007
California
You people act as if Apple will feel this mans exchange at all. Personally, I picked up a 32 wifi mini and am planning on selling it for $500 when the LTE arrives. You might not be able to go that route since the iPad 4 has the same old iPad shell.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
I sold my ipad 3 LTE and I was thinking of just picking up an Ipad 4 wifi version and then returning it for the LTE version once it comes out. I was trying to figure out it was worth the hassle.

Personally, I don't think it is worth the hassle. Not to mention, what will you do if somehow you damage the wifi only version. Then you'll be stuck with a model you don't really want. Just wait a couple of weeks, it won't kill you.

JohnnyAndre

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2007
California
None of you have any reason as to why this is such a 'heinous' act. I waited 4 hours for the iPhone 5, near the front of the line. You really expect me to say "**** it, I'm going home" when they tell me they have no 64GB models? Or better yet, you really expect this is what Apple would want me to do? There is no logic behind any of your reasoning. If it was morally wrong, why are we able to do it in the first place? :p

Poochi

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2010
Toronto
None of you have any reason as to why this is such a 'heinous' act. I waited 4 hours for the iPhone 5, near the front of the line. You really expect me to say "**** it, I'm going home" when they tell me they have no 64GB models? Or better yet, you really expect this is what Apple would want me to do? There is no logic behind any of your reasoning.

Order online, you get your 64GB without waiting. They ship to your doorsteps on DAY 1.

You have no logic in any of your statements.

JohnnyAndre

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2007
California
Didn't have the money when preorders started. Damn, some of you really do treat Apple like its some sort of religion. You need to calm down.

JohnnyAndre

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2007
California
If they had 64GB on launch day, they wouldn't have lost money, now would they? By your logic, I should have just kept the first iPhone they opened for me. It was covered in scratches out of the box. Of course I returned it, because that's not what I'm spending $700 on.

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011

does your life depend on the iPad? i doubt it

just use your laptop to do whatever you used to do before iPads even existed. opening it with the intent to return is a waste not just for Apple but for everything that's involved to ship it back to get refurbed, the wasted labor, and the wasted materials

as a small business owner, i treat these things as if it was my company which means i wouldn't purposefully purchase a wifi model if i knew i just wanted the LTE and would be returning it. after all, if you own stock a portion of the company is your's too.

what happens if the iPad 4 LTE is delayed and you would end up having to own the wifi version for 4 weeks? Apple made a 30 day exception for people with iPad 3's, i don't know how they would handle something like that where you don't have any excuse. ok, so you see it is delayed and you return it on the 14th day, then you're back to the drawing board within an iPad.

Last edited:

JohnnyAndre

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2007
California
does your life depend on the iPad? i doubt it

just use your laptop to do whatever you used to do before iPads even existed. opening it with the intent to return is a waste not just for Apple but for everything that's involved to ship it back to get refurbed, the wasted labor, and the wasted materials.

Not to mention you could probably get the full price you paid for the wifi model by selling it on Craigslist right before the LTE model finally drops.

HowardSmith

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2012
no credit card either?

if you didn't have the money, have the decency to not have other people (company) losing money on your action.

Credit card? LOL! They probly never made the first payment on the first credit card they ever got!

Some of these people do not know what decency is. The way I hear them talk many need to be putting the money against their school loan and not another electronic device! They feel they are "entitled"!

Poochi

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2010
Toronto
Moral principles for a company that pays its (underage) workers pennies on the dollar to make hundreds of millions of dollars in profit. Okay.

Your actions will not make the situation better, maybe worsening it.

That 32GB iPhone 5 you picked up may be someone's favorite phone, but no -you picked it up and potentially made someone who wanted a 32GB not able to get one because it is out of stock.

A better way to protest is not to spend $5000/year on the products of a company you have little regards for.

JohnnyAndre

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2007
California
Credit card? LOL! They probly never made the first payment on the first credit card they ever got!

Some of these people do not know what decency is. The way I hear them talk many need to be putting the money against their school loan and not another electronic device! They feel they are "entitled"!

I am 100% positive that if you waited in line overnight for a 64GB iPhone and they didn't have any, you would leave with a 32. Don't act all high and mighty, you weren't there and don't know the context of the situation.

----------

Your actions will not make the situation better, maybe worsening it.

That 32GB iPhone 5 you picked up may be someone's favorite phone, but no -you picked it up and potentially made someone who wanted a 32GB not able to get one because it is out of stock.

A better way to protest is not to spend $5000/year on the products of a company you have little regards for.

Um, it made the situation better for me, since I was able to actually fit most of my library on the device. That person who was unable to get a 32GB cause of me? Probably bought a 16GB and returned it 2 weeks later when the 32GB became available. That's two returned phones Apple could have prevented by having adequate stock the first time around.

I'm not protesting anything. I spend $5000/year on Apple products because the amazing/unmatched in store experience they do offer. If I wasn't able to return the 32GB for the 64 (again, their fault) then it wouldn't be Apple. In fact, the Apple store employee is the one who recommended I buy the lower capacity and try it, as not to waste my 6+ hours in line.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.