Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

F.Garvin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 13, 2008
I had a 2g iPhone, which was stolen. I got an unlocked iPhone 4 on eBay. What's the best way to get my iPhone 4 onto T-Mobile Prepaid? Can I just cut the sim and put in the phone or is there some other steps I must take to get it to work? Thanks for any help.

h1r0ll3r

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2009
Maryland
If unlocked, then all you would need to do is cut your card down and insert it into your iPhone. I'm guessing there would have to be some activation step for the T-Mob SIM. As far as cutting the card, there's lots of vids on YouTube. I tried it and totally messed it up :( T-Mob also has an iPhone plan they're offering now (not sure if it's a contract or month to month sort of thing). They'll send you a mini SIM for your iPhone and you can also use it that way if that's an option for you.

gerabbi

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2009
I had a 2g iPhone, which was stolen. I got an unlocked iPhone 4 on eBay. What's the best way to get my iPhone 4 onto T-Mobile Prepaid? Can I just cut the sim and put in the phone or is there some other steps I must take to get it to work? Thanks for any help.

If TMO sim is activated
If iPhone is activated
just insert sim and you're good to go
make sure to change the cellular data from 3G to Edge:)

hackthatphone

macrumors 68000
Jul 28, 2010
You can activate the phone with any att, cingular or gophone sim, or h2o or o2 sim. Otherwise hacktivate the phone using pwnagetool, greenpoison or limera1n. I've had tmobile prepaid on my iphone since August 28th of 2007. You will NOT be able to have a data plan on prepaid. I've also cut sim cards by hand and have one of those punchers.

Neverbepeace

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2009
New York
If unlocked, then all you would need to do is cut your card down and insert it into your iPhone. I'm guessing there would have to be some activation step for the T-Mob SIM. As far as cutting the card, there's lots of vids on YouTube. I tried it and totally messed it up :( T-Mob also has an iPhone plan they're offering now (not sure if it's a contract or month to month sort of thing). They'll send you a mini SIM for your iPhone and you can also use it that way if that's an option for you.

You sir......failed.....
1236963278_spring-board-jump.gif

There are plans that work for the iPhone. However, there are none specifically for the iPhone. Also, Tmobile does not offer mini sim cards either.

F.Garvin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 13, 2008
If iPhone is activated

Thanks for the replies. The eBay description says it's unlocked, but I'm not sure the phone is activated. This is what I get when I turn the phone on:

If it is unlocked, can I just put my T-Mobile prepaid sim in there and activate it or do I need to do something else? Also, what's the best way to do a T-Mobile micro sim? I found a template on-line and tried to cut mine, but it didn't work out well. Would buying a sim cutter or a pre-cut one be the best route? Thanks for any help.

hackthatphone

macrumors 68000
Jul 28, 2010
We've already answered these questions. Perhaps you should reread this thread? Stick the sim in the phone and see what happens already. Less questions and more reading/action on your part will improve your situation.

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey
You sir......failed.....
1236963278_spring-board-jump.gif

There are plans that work for the iPhone. However, there are none specifically for the iPhone. Also, Tmobile does not offer mini sim cards either.

Talk about overshooting your target, man was he trying to launch himself into space, Geez :rolleyes:

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Thanks for the replies. The eBay description says it's unlocked, but I'm not sure the phone is activated. This is what I get when I turn the phone on:

If it is unlocked, can I just put my T-Mobile prepaid sim in there and activate it or do I need to do something else? Also, what's the best way to do a T-Mobile micro sim? I found a template on-line and tried to cut mine, but it didn't work out well. Would buying a sim cutter or a pre-cut one be the best route? Thanks for any help.

Sounds like the seller is full of BS.
The phone looks like its just restored. Not JB, activated or unlocked.
Hopefully if its not on official 4.1 cause you wont be able to unlock it.

F.Garvin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 13, 2008
Sounds like the seller is full of BS.
The phone looks like its just restored. Not JB, activated or unlocked.
Hopefully if its not on official 4.1 cause you wont be able to unlock it.

Thanks for the reply. How can I tell since I can't get beyond the emergency dialer?

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
I'd say run limerain so it will JB and hactivate it.
Then go into settings/general/about and find out whats your modem firmware version.
If you see 02.10.04 you're sol.
If you got 01.59.00 you're good and you can unlock using ultrasnow.

F.Garvin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 13, 2008
I'd say run limerain so it will JB and hactivate it.
Then go into settings/general/about and find out whats your modem firmware version.
If you see 02.10.04 you're sol.
If you got 01.59.00 you're good and you can unlock using ultrasnow.

If I run limerain and it's 2.10.04 would that mean it's now not unlockable at all or I could unlock it when the hack becomes available down the road? Thanks for the reply.

F.Garvin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 13, 2008
OK, I ran Limerain, but I'm still at the activation screen. I think at this point I need a sim card. I tried to cut one down, but totally butchered it. How well do the sim card cutters on ebay work? Thanks for any help.

F.Garvin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 13, 2008
OK, the sim cutter showed up and seemed to cut the sim card OK. iTunes is throwing up the old the sim card inserted in this iPhone does not appear to be supported. I'm assuming this means it's not activated. What's the easiest way to activate it? Should I get a prepaid ATT sim? Thanks for any help.

F.Garvin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 13, 2008
Thanks for the reply. Did I miss something? I ran limera1n on my phone, but I'm still stuck at the emergency dialer. Is there a guide for hacktivating the phone using limera1n? I'm assuming I'm going to have to get a ATT prepaid card to activate it. I was thinking of getting one on ebay. Do I need to the activation pack or will just any old card will do? Thanks for any help.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
Thanks for the reply. Did I miss something? I ran limera1n on my phone, but I'm still stuck at the emergency dialer. Is there a guide for hacktivating the phone using limera1n? I'm assuming I'm going to have to get a ATT prepaid card to activate it. I was thinking of getting one on ebay. Do I need to the activation pack or will just any old card will do? Thanks for any help.

It should have hactivated it automaticly if you did it right.
Either run limerain again or try greenpoison.

F.Garvin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 13, 2008
Thanks AJ. I appreciate you sticking with it for so long. I've run limera1n like ten times and it never worked. I GreenPoison tried twice and it failed. Then I tried it on my Linux box and it failed, but I tried it a fourth time on my XP box and it worked for some reason. Don't have a clue as to why.

Alas, it seems I'm on 02.10.04. I can't use it until a new unlock for my antenna becomes available. Any news on that front? I suppose I could do AT&T prepay, but they're such a ripoff compared to T-Mobile prepay.

I wonder why they'd sell it as unlocked when it was clearly was not. Maybe they upgraded it and found they could no longer use it. Perhaps I've got some Paypal options to dispute, but I'm sort of conflicted about it. I got a great price on the phone, perhaps I now know why, and it's in mint condition, but if I can't use it for three or four months, that's going to suck. I suppose I'll be stopping back for info on the 4.1 jailbreak. Thanks again for the help.

labman

macrumors 604
Jun 9, 2009
Mich near Detroit
Sorry to say unlock eta is unknown just have to wait could be a coulple weeks or several months. there isn't a good answer at least one you will like! :p

F.Garvin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 13, 2008
This is why I'm conflicted. Yeah, I'll just have to wait it out if I want to use the iPhone. I might pursue my options with eBay/Paypal options to see what recourse I have. Like I said I got a great price on the phone. We'll see how it goes.

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
This is why I'm conflicted. Yeah, I'll just have to wait it out if I want to use the iPhone. I might pursue my options with eBay/Paypal options to see what recourse I have. Like I said I got a great price on the phone. We'll see how it goes.

Well you obviously purchased something that wasn't as described so that's means to open up a dispute. You should have opened one up when you first got it. The seller probably already removed the funds from his Paypal account so there is a chance that you won't get it back.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.