Getting iPhone... How do I get out of my Verizon ETF?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by HyQuality, Jul 9, 2008.

1. HyQuality macrumors regular

My contract isn't up until Sept 2009 and they won't cancel my account without the ETFs. Any current known loopholes to get out of it?

Thanks

2. animenick65 macrumors 6502

3. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

There have been loopholes in the past, and they worked with varying success, but you're going to have to pay the fee. No way around it.

4. Blaunerts macrumors regular

Blaunerts

If they change anything in your current plan (amount of text messages, price change, even if it benefits you) you can complain and they have to void your contract....:eek:

5. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

I just got out of my t-mobile contract without paying the fees. They sent out a notice that text messages would now cost 20 cents each, up from 15 cents each. I dont have a messaging plan so thats a change in the contract that I signed. I was able to cancel because of this. Perfect timing. I was going to wait till dec to get the iphone but t-mobile bailed me out.

6. iTim314 macrumors 6502

I bid you good luck in finding a change that isn't already covered as 'not their responsibility.' :cool:

7. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

That used to be one of those holes, but they pretty much closed it up. Too many people were calling and trying to get out of their contract this way, so they make it a point not to change anything about your contract without you signing for it. Plus, the newer contracts have been changed so that if they do change something and you complain, they have the right to change it back and not void the contract.

8. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

9. aforty macrumors 65816

Not sure about Verizon's policies but I got out of my Sprint contract by saying I was moving to another country (that required me to use a GSM phone, Sprint is CDMA). Worked like a charm and I will even try to port my number over come Friday morning.

Remember kids, lying works.

10. tonywalker23 macrumors regular

i got out of mine yesterday by (you wont believe it) . . .

telling the truth!

verizon made a mistake when i bought my wife a razor in 12/06. they put the contract on my line instead of my wifes.
    i called the help numbers numerous times last week and they wouldnt do anything. went to the store and talked with a manager yesterday, told her my plan to leave for another carrier. and talk about service, she took both of our lines out of contract! very un-verizon like but they did it.

11. dissdnt macrumors 65816

dissdnt

A "friend" of mine.. *ahem* did this to get out of his Sprint contract for no cancel fee.

A friend lived in WI in a total cell dead zone. Got a copy of his power bill. Scanned it, photoshopped with some bs info (ie put your name) and faxed it to a number given by Sprint to people moving to outside cellular service areas.

Simple as that :p

12. mcnieman macrumors member

best way is if they change some service that affects your contract, but their are a lot of websites devoted to stuff like this.

We are actually getting out of ours without an etf, which was not expected.

I went last week to AT&T to port our #s and get a couple temp phones to be swapped out Friday.

They start the port, sprint hangs up on it, retentions is on the line wanting to talk to my husband about it. She goes on about how our end contract date is wrong (it was set for 11/2009 which was the correct date btw) and she changed it to Aug 2, 2008. I'm sure they were just trying to get us to not sign up with AT&T, but we're holding off on the port until 8/3, but now have accounts set up with AT&T.

Later, we call to make sure this is legit, it's 'not' and this other lady tells us the person who did it had no authorization and shes changing it back to original date. We emailed CS and informed them we would complain as it's illegal to interfere with a port process and they put the date back to next month, have screenshots and an email to prove it in case they try and bill us.

13. davidlw macrumors 6502a

14. animenick65 macrumors 6502

Thats what I'm doing. Verizon has had me by the ba**s for awhile. I need a change of pace.

15. thor79 macrumors 6502

thor79

That's the exact kind of loophole people should look for. Doesn't require fraud to get out of the contract. Yes kids, lying to get out of a contract is fraud...you can be sued in civil court for it, it doesn't rise to the level of a criminal activity though.

And technically all the people borrowing their friends iPhones to get upgrade eligible are committing and act of fraud as well.

16. aforty macrumors 65816

Did you "friend" try to transfer the number?

17. GotMac? macrumors member

GotMac?

Why can't you just demand to get traded? Pro sports player's do it all the time.... :cool:

18. cWeems macrumors 6502a

cWeems

nice going!!

19. Maxington macrumors 6502

Curious question.

If I have a Verizon familyplan would I pay 1 ETF for canceling the account or 1 per line?

20. lavrishevo macrumors 68000

lavrishevo

This is a good one:

Demand to see the paperwork
    Did you sign a contract in the store? Ask the carrier to come up with a hard copy of this legally binding document. If the provider can?t come up with a physical copy, then you?re free to go. Paper gets lost, you might have forgotten to sign and sales reps are often too busy or lazy to file the paperwork.

21. dissdnt macrumors 65816

dissdnt

Nope, got a new number. Didn't want to risk it.. i mean my friend :p

22. ubersalad macrumors 6502a

Try this loophole I discovered recently after reading through these countless idiotic threads:

Stop paying your Verizon bills, as simple as that.

23. ubersalad macrumors 6502a

What are you, 10? Quit wasting time coming up with idiotic ideas.

24. Luigi239 macrumors 6502a

Then get your line of service canceled, your debt transfered to a collection agency, and have your credit score negatively affected?

Great plan.