Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MauerFan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 9, 2012
I just bought a new 5g iPod touch a few days ago, and I understand that I'll be able to get iWork, iPhoto, and iMovie free when iOS 7 comes out. Since I'll have those downloaded on my touch do you think I'll be able to download them onto my iPad Mini for free as well?

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I believe that they'll become like any other "purchase" and will be available on all of your iOS devices.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
should be tied to your appleID not the iOS device, so yes you can use it in all your iOS devices hat use your appleID:cool:

theonekcrow

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2009
Indiana
No on the apple site, it says any iOS 7 compatible device activated (for the first time after purchase) after September 1, 2013 can get them for free. Even if they have to update to it tomorrow. I assume it's activation date is on file with Apple along with the serial number, allowing the pop up to appear on those devices purchased after the 1st when they update.

chumps52

macrumors 6502
Jan 9, 2013
Scotland
Getting iWork Free?

When they say "setting up a new device will prompt you to download the iWork Apps", I'm assuming they mean a new 5C or 5S, but does anyone know whether it's any phone/device you are restoring as new to iOS 7?

Septillion

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2013
China
When they say "setting up a new device will prompt you to download the iWork Apps", I'm assuming they mean a new 5C or 5S, but does anyone know whether it's any phone/device you are restoring as new to iOS 7?

Seems like only newly activated devices can get iWork free of charge. There're still $*** showing on my iPad (iOS 7 GM).

Nevaborn

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2013
You would think those running GM would get them. After all its our usage data and feedback that helped them develop their OS.

But as I understand from the keynote its any new device shipped running iOS 7 will be set up to download on activation.

However some are saying theres some small print somewhere saying any new device set up after September 1st will gain access to them too but I cant confirm that.

rjlawson

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2013
I activated an iPad mini a two weeks ago, put the iOS7 GM on & the iWork apps etc.. now show as free in the App Store.

rjlawson

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2013
I activated an iPad mini a two weeks ago, put the iOS7 GM on & the iWork apps etc.. now show as free in the App Store.

gogo2

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2013
I believe that they'll become like any other "purchase" and will be available on all of your iOS devices.

I don't think so. It'll locked to your new device. Something like Map and other default apps.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
iWork is FREE only for new devices bought through Apple or supported third-parties

People seem to be so touchy about the whole iWork and iLife promotion. Someone even said they were "entitled" to it since they help "tested" iOS 7. :rolleyes: But anyway, that's not really what I'm going to complain about here, and instead educate you on what is going to happen.

Remember when iBooks, Find My iPhone, Find My Friends, and the Cards app came out? Remember how when you first loaded the App Store whenever you upgraded and it asked you if you wanted to go ahead and download those apps?

Well, that's exactly the same method they're going to use when iOS 7 comes out later today. If you just recently bought and activated a supported device from September 1st, onwards, you're going to get that message to download the iWork and iLife apps free of charge.

iPhoto, iMovie, Keynote, Pages, and Numbers are free on the App Store for qualifying iOS 7 compatible devices activated as of September 1, 2013. See http://www.apple.com/ios/whats-new/ for iOS 7 compatible devices. Downloading apps requires an Apple ID.

These are the compatible iOS 7 devices that are a part of the offer:

iPhone 4
iPhone 4s
iPhone 5
iPhone 5c
iPhone 5s

iPod touch 5th generation 16GB
iPod touch 5th generation 32GB/64GB

iPad 2
iPad with Retina display
iPad mini

What does it mean by "activation"?

When you first get your iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch, you have to connect to Apple's server so it activates the UDID and serial, AppleCare, and just basically indicates that it was bought.

After it's activated, that's it. It never goes through that process again. Understand that it's not the same as registration. Registration can be done again and again, and Apple will even contact you about a "new" registered PowerPC Mac 10+ years down the line (I did a follow-up survey for it yesterday even :rolleyes:).

Where would I buy a device that can go through the "activation" process?

Apple
AT&T
T-Mobile
Verizon
Sprint

And any other carrier supporting the iPhone and iPad.

Basically any place that will sell you a brand new device in a sealed box. So carriers, Wal-Mart, Target, etc.

You cannot activate a device that is being sold as used on places like Craigslist or eBay. Apple refurbished units would be able to go through the process, but refurbished iPhones and iPads from repair shops most likely wouldn't.

For those of us who have devices we bought in the last two months more or more, we will not get the iWork and iLife freebies. You probably didn't want to hear that, but that's just how it goes.

jkauff

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2012
So people who bought an iPhone 5 last year are out of luck?
It's an upgrade incentive. You can sell your nice shiny 5 to Apple for half what you paid for it, and get a gift card to buy a nice shiny 5C (which is pretty much like your old phone, but new) in a kickin' color and get a free copy of iWorks. You're only out a couple hundred bucks, and everyone will say that new colored plastic looks so hip (if you live in China). :cool:

rjlawson

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2013
Did you set it up as a new device? I might do that, even though I'll lose some stuff, purely so save a load of money

It was a new device 2 weeks ago. At the weekend it still showed the prices for the apps, but today they changed to free.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.