Getting job at Apple care

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Alexrat1996, Aug 22, 2016.

1. Alexrat1996, Aug 22, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2016

Alexrat1996 Suspended

People I plan to get a job at Apple can only way I can is by going the university of Pennsylvania in state college pa and attended pennstate it's 3 hrs away . I Might do it and stay at the college.Why does apple make the Apple care job so far away from where I live ?

2. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

There are seldom few jobs in which the offices can sprout legs and relocate to a more convenient location for one employee.

It is what it is. Take it or leave it.

3. Alexrat1996 thread starter Suspended

I'm taking it since they give out a free iMac

4. Mildredop macrumors 68020

How old are you?

5. Alexrat1996 thread starter Suspended

Almost 20 but I'm majoring in computer science

6. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Candidly, posts such as this astound me.

If you are merely venting with frustration, fair enough, but if you seriously think that in the sort of business and commercial environment you vigorously cultivate in the US where companies consider it perfectly reasonable not to wish to pay corporate taxes, (I'm looking at you, Apple), think nothing of lobbying and leaning on Governments, (hard), and are at the epicentre or home of a sort of uncritical cultural adoration which fails to ask any sort of critical questions of them, if you seriously think that in such a world, that a business will give two hoots about your preferences and convenience, well, I think you may have to contemplate some second thoughts.

7. D.T. macrumors 604

D.T.

Well, the job is, where the job is, they didn't make it convenient or inconvenient, Apple has a store where they feel it gives them the best retail location (population density, accessibility, etc.)

I also think you mean to say, you're _applying_ for a job at/with Apple (vs. AppleCare [the service], or the related/correct job title). I think it's probably in your best interest to think about it and express it like "I hope to work for Apple", or "If things go well, I'll be working at an Apple retail store" vs. "When I work for Apple". I mean, good for you for being positive, but I've seen several folks pass through here, surprised they didn't get hired - and no insult intended, but some of them had far better communication skills (at least in terms of writing), which I'd figure is a key consideration for a customer facing position.

FWIW, there's also - or used to be - At Home Advisor positions where you can work from home, or I'd assume a dorm, the point being, offsite. You might look into those if the travel logistics are too complicated.

Good luck.

8. Scepticalscribe, Aug 23, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2016

Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Seriously, is that a good enough reason to want to work for them?

An interest in Apple, a degree of expertise, some experience in the field of computer science, - these are all qualities I would seek to hear about from a candidate seeking such a position.

9. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

If you're majoring in computer science, there's going to be better opportunities for you that relate to your studies. You need to talk to an advisor at the college about them. There's going to be both internships and paid work that you'll be able to apply for, and they're going to be much, much, much better than customer service.

They can tell when you're just after the free stuff by the way. It's not like people aren't constantly doing it for that, or in the hopes that they can pull out their portfolio and somehow get into a higher position.

10. Alexrat1996, Aug 23, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2016

Alexrat1996 thread starter Suspended

fix the post but I'm good at trouble shooting on Mac and Windows even iOS and android
    --- Post Merged, Aug 23, 2016 ---
    They want me to meet a certain group typing requirement and I don't even meet that
    My grades are good though I made dean this year in the community college I'm at
    Or basically I can get a job at the local Apple Store a couple of my friends with no experience got the job over there at the local Apple Store

11. D.T. macrumors 604

D.T.

Your replies are little confusing, but this:

Isn't really what Jessica was talking about when she wrote this:

I mean, Apple [store], sure, might be fun, some discounts, free swag, but there are some great opportunities for someone majoring in CS to really advance their skills. I was at a gig in SF, company with ~100 employees, had 4 or 5 interns doing some really slick stuff relating to computer vision, AR, building actual SDKs, drivers, etc. (and getting paid) A friend's daughter just had a great experience interning, picked up some mobile dev skills, coding, design, source management, etc., graduated last year, got picked up by Amazon.

12. Mildredop macrumors 68020

Not sure what this is. Is this like speed typing? If so, that's an easy thing to practice and improve upon in your own time.

13. Alexrat1996 thread starter Suspended

14. D.T. macrumors 604

D.T.

Maybe it's like type declaration since we're talking CS:

private string thisThread = "confusing";

:D

15. haxrnick macrumors 6502a

haxrnick

Sometimes you need to cut your losses and move on. I'm probably not reaching too far in saying this is one of them.

16. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

Because the world doesn't revolve around you.
    Breaking News: The center of the Universe is somewhere else. Keep moving.

17. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

I Would, at minimum, take the time to really familiarize yourself with the company and their background. Apple looks for leadership values, core standards and strong personality traits.

Your whole goal should be why You want Apple as your employer. What can you contribute to Apple and what Apple can contribute to you?

18. ajay96 macrumors 6502

I strongly recommend having some prior knowledge on how to work with Apple Devices also if you specifically want to be helping out with AppleCare. I'm a CS student as well, and I applied to some internships through Apple's Job Search page. I suggest giving that a try too.

19. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

The following is from the MacRumors forum rules.

8. Corrections. There is no need to point out another poster's spelling or grammatical errors unless you think it is causing confusion. Remember that not all members are native English speakers. Communication, not correctness, is our goal.

20. Alexrat1996 thread starter Suspended

I really want the job at Apple but I'm switching to the university they want next year

21. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

You're approaching it so wrong that you have no idea.

22. Alexrat1996 thread starter Suspended

This is the requirements they want
    • Student must be enrolled at selected university for a minimum of two semesters or four quarters, in order to meet the requirements of the one year AC College program
    • Cumulative GPA of 2.7 or higher
    • Enjoys troubleshooting technology
    • Passionate about providing an amazing experience that Apple customers expect
    • Flexible to adapt to different communication styles and modify approach accordingly
    • iOS, Smartphone, Tablet, Mac or PC experience a plus
    • Ability to manage multiple applications running at the same time
    • Discipline to work from home while following a set schedule
    • Availability to work five to seven weeks of required online training on a fixed schedule that may include weekends. (Training may be either 24 hours per week or 40 hours per week depending on hire date)
    • Available to flex up to 40 hours per week during the winter holiday school break, based on business needs
    • Successful completion of a pre-employment assessment and criminal background check
    • Successful completion of initial training
    • Ability to meet minimum typing speed of 35 WPM while talking with customers
    • At Home Qualifications
    • A quiet, private and secure workspace, ergonomic chair, and desk
    • High-speed Internet service (5 megabits download and 1 megabit upload) from a reliable provider

23. daflake macrumors 6502a

I agree with yaxomoxy on this one. If you are switching your life around to fit Apple's profile, you are not heading down the right path. There are ZERO guarantees that you are going to land a job with them and even if you do, what happens of you don't like them?

Job is 3 hours away, that is 6 hours a day lost in travel. How well can you keep your grades up with most of your day traveling?

I am a hiring manager and I wouldn't hire you just due to location alone. You are simply too far away.

24. Alexrat1996 thread starter Suspended

Well I'm moving to state college and attending for 4 years the university and staying over there

25. daflake macrumors 6502a

Okay, so are you saying you will be closer? If that is the case then go for it and see what happens. It won't be your only job in life, but there is nothing wrong with going after something you really want while you finish your degree.