Getting my first iPad on Friday... What apps should I buy?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by itsjared, Mar 14, 2012.

1. itsjared macrumors regular

itsjared

I am so stoked to get my first iPad on Friday. Here at the office FedEx and UPS both deliver before 9am.

What apps should I buy? What are essential and used daily by most folks?:D

2. sfwalter macrumors 68000

sfwalter

3. Grease2310 macrumors member

If you're a Reddit reader I suggest Alien Blue. Comixology if you're a fan of comic books. iPhoto and iMovie are must haves for me, but your mileage may vary there. God theres so many good apps...

4. dukeblue91 macrumors 65816

dukeblue91

GoodReader is the first thing I'd buy and pages second.
    iCab is a good 2nd browser as it let's you download and upload files too.
    If you don't already have Dropbox I would look into that too.

5. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

6. itsjared thread starter macrumors regular

itsjared

7. Jarson macrumors regular

Jarson

GoodReader - powerful app. Great PDF store/reader. Good thing to have all documents sorted in a one place. It allows you to download files through built-in browser and store files.

Dropbox - good thing if you want to transfer files between mac/ipad/iphone pretty often.

Pages - it is worth it.

iPhoto - see the last keynote.

Games:

if you have iPhone: FIFA12+EA Gamepad
    Infinity Blade
    Pirates!
    GTA3
    SimCity
    Red Alert
    Monopoly

8. JeffMorse macrumors regular

Flipboard is amazing.
    Plants vs. Zombies is still a wonderful game, the touch interface rocks for this.
    FlightControl HD. Fun, and hard! Oh man, so hooked on this.
    iBook - The ipad uses .epub files, though Kindle is .mobi
    Netflix
    Slingbox if you own one.
    LiveATC if you care to listen to airport towers
    5-0 Radio for police/fire scanners
    F-Sim Shuttle is a great game where you land the space shuttle. Good graphics and fun.

There are so many really fun options. Any of the HD versions of the racing games are great fun too.

9. DuckSoup, Mar 14, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2012

DuckSoup macrumors 6502a

DuckSoup

For TV viewing...

If you have HBO at home and wi-fi access anywhere, get HBO GO. (or Max Go for CineMax)

If you have cable TV at home and wi-fi access, your cable TV provider likely has an app to allow you to watch many of their networks on your iPad.

If sports inclined, most networks have apps, and many have an app where you can watch them on your iPad. Many conferences have an app and many of those that have their own network channel also have an app to watch on your iPad.

If you use imdb.com, they have an iPad app, but I preferr accessing it still via the browser (Safari). Get the app though.

As for games, my fave right now is "10 PinShuffle", a well designed and very good app to play either shuffleboard or bowling (using the shuffleboard). I use it nightly to knock off a few games.

Congrats on the new iPad, you'll LOVE it!!!

Mike

10. ecib macrumors regular

ecib

I don't know what your interests are, but if you like reading news, by far the best app is Zite. It lets you build custom feeds based off interest, but it isn't locked down to exact sites like RSS readers (a good RSS app is should be on there though!), so it adds a pleasant serendipity to the content you are served. It's been spot on for me, and has quickly become my favorite way to browse. It's free.

Dropbox is kind of a no-brainer. Free additional cloud storage that a ton of apps are tying into via their API. This is probably the #1 app and first thing you should download on your iPad & desktop/laptop if you have not yet. Did I mention free?

iPhoto which the just released. I've already downloaded and played around with it on my iPhone 4. It puts every other photo editing app to terrible shame. Terrible terrible shameful shame. It's that good. Well worth the 5 bucks.

Photosynth. Free panaoramic app developed by Microsoft. Let's you take a series of pictures and it automatically stiches them together. I don't know if you're going to hold your iPad up and take pictures with it instead of your phone, but if you do, this is a nice free app that fills a role.

TuneIn Radio. Nice free internet radio app that lets you search by station or category. Thousands upon thousands of stations, and a section for podcasts as well. I like it for listening to my local stations and tech podcasts.

Yelp. I think this needs no introduction.

Google Earth. The ultimate Map-lapedia. This application shine on an iPad more than any other platform in existence. So good and free.

Evernote. A cross-platform cloud based productivity tool. I use this for work a TON. You may not need it (I don't know your use-case), but it does what it does better than any of it's competitors. Free.

Do you have a cable subscription? Then check out the CNN app. It let's you enter in your subscriber info to gain the ability to live-stream CNN on your iPad. Don't get me started on our completely ineffectual bought and paid for corporate media here in the states, but in the event of some actual newsworthy live, breaking event, it's nice to have the option to watch it live on CNN on your device. I guess. Sort of. Ugh. At least it's not Fox or MSNBC, right?

Imgur. Let's you create a quick link that you can paste to share any image-media on your iPad. Very useful if you like to post in forums. Otherwise, meh.

Those are some of the apps I really like. By no means an exhaustive lists obv.

11. JeffMorse macrumors regular

Awesome suggestion for Photosynth. Thanks! I was looking for something like this the other day.

12. shakeman0 macrumors 6502a

shakeman0

iMovie
    Garageband
    iPhoto
    Pages
    Netflix
    Flipboard
    iBooks
    Kindle
    Pandora
    Awesome Note
    Notebook
    Pulse
    Real Racing 2
    Infinity Blade (1, 2, and Dungeons)
    Splashtop (Remote Desktop)
    Penultimate
    Corkulous
    Plants VS Zombies
    Air Display
    Atomic Web

13. aneftp macrumors 601

Depends,

If you do any school or business, Goodreader a must have app.

Basically can function has a min file storage app along with a PDF viewer. You can down basic office files/pictures/movies. File them and resend them out via email.

Goodreader was first app I ever had in my iPad 1st generation almost 2 years ago.

14. gorskiegangsta macrumors 65816

gorskiegangsta

Paid:
    GarageBand (a must have, IMO)
    GoodPlayer (excellent media player that plays almost any kind of video files)
    Penultimate or Notability (for note taking)
    Sketchbook Pro for iPad or ArtRage (for drawing)
    HiCalc Calculator
    Phone Drive (opens almost any kind of file; MS Office, iWork documents, PDFs, images, video, audio files)
    Mercury web browser (IMO, the best alternative to mobile safari with tons of extra features including private mode)
    Printer Pro for iPad (if you have a non AirPrint compatible wireless printer)
    WolframAlpha
    Djay for iPad (a little pricey but very powerful and super fun)

Free:
    iBooks & Kindle
    PCalc Lite calculator
    Flipboard
    Pandora Radio
    Dropbox
    Netflix (if you have a subscription)
    OnLive Desktop
    Google Earth
    Google Translate
    Dictionary.com
    Photoshop Express
    SoundHound (IMO the best music identification app)
    Twitter
    Doodle Buddy for iPad (for drawing)
    Skype for iPad

Games:
    RealRacing 2 HD
    Modern Combat 3: Fallen Nation
    Asphalt 6: Adrenaline
    Grand Theft Auto 3
    Infinity Blade & Infinity Blade 2
    Fruit Ninja for iPad
    Jetpack Joyride
    Machinarium
    Batman Arkham City Lockdown
    Dead Space for iPad
    Mass Effect Infiltrator
    N.O.V.A. 2

Games (free):
    Temple Run
    Pocket Frogs
    The Sims: FreePlay
    Tiny Tower
    UnblockMe Free
    Dungeon Hunter 3
    GT Racing: Motor Academy Free+

15. tommot82 macrumors regular

wow! i agree with ALL of these suggestions! I would add iPhoto to the list! its awesome! perticularly if you have a camera kit for the iPad

16. Icemilk macrumors member

Throw some more money at Apple and get the whole iLife and iWork suites. They're worth the $30 bucks and retina supported.

17. nutmac macrumors 68040

Don't rush into buying apps. Apps are subjective, so assess what you need and try freebies. I also recommend getting an account setup at AppShopper.com (and download free iOS app) and enter paid apps into wish list. Many paid apps fluctuate in value, sometimes becoming free. AppShopper iOS app sends push notification when this happens.

That said, there are few paid iPad/universal apps that I strongly recommend.
    • If you use Twitter a lot, Tweetbot
    • If you listen to podcasts regularly, Instacast HD
    • If you use RSS (Google Reader), Reeder for iPad
    • If you need a stylish, at-a-glance weather app, Magical Weather
    • For advanced calculation needs, Soulver for iPad

18. cfairbank macrumors 6502

19. bobobenobi macrumors regular

You bought an iPad before you knew what you wanted to run on it? :confused:

20. UnseenLlama macrumors 6502a

UnseenLlama

There used to be a program called "I am rich". Go for that one. :cool:

21. h00ligan macrumors 68030

Goodreader
    Reeder
    Filebrowser
    Facebook

Plants vs zombies hd
    Quarrel deluxe

22. itsjared thread starter macrumors regular

itsjared

Damn Right! Didn't everyone?

23. bobobenobi macrumors regular

No. I don't buy things before I know how I'll use them.