getting new iphone this week, if i jailbrake for 3rd party, could i brick it?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by zipper1022, Dec 16, 2007.

1. zipper1022 macrumors regular

i see all thsi stuff about bricking iphones but i get confused with jailbreaking and sim unlocking

i have att, i like att, im gonan keep att,

i just want some 3rd party apps. im worried though that im gonna wreck my new iphone, whats the realistic risks?

2. Coolbito macrumors newbie

If your getting a new one this week, it will most likely be 1.1.2 from the box, which means it's unable to be jailbroken... as far as I know

3. darcilicious macrumors newbie

I don't have ATT and I do have a new 1.1.2 iPhone. I downgraded my firmware to 1.1.1, did jailbreak so I could install 3rd-party apps and now have the equivalent to an iTouch. I have no idea if I've screwed my iPhone such that it won't ever be able to sim unlock (to work with some other provider than ATT in the US) but I'm hopeful.

I went here and downloaded the zip file:

http://conceitedsoftware.com/iphone/site/112jb.html

Unzip that and follow the instructions in the README.TXT. BE SURE TO READ THROUGH ALL THE INSTRUCTIONS FIRST. If you're already activated with ATT, it's even easier than what I had to do.

This is not for the faint of heart -- it took me two tries to get it right. Also, you will need access to wifi or EDGE to perform some steps via the Safari browser.

Good luck!

4. zipper1022 thread starter macrumors regular

well my question is....

do i realistically run the risk of bricking and throwing away 400 dollars by doing this?

if i dont like it being jailbroken can i just restore it and have it go back??

will i lose anything thats on the phone?

5. moel macrumors 6502

realistically your not going to brick it. A restore of some kind will get it back to out of the box condition.

6. outz macrumors 6502

I purchased mine from att last friday. it had 1.1.2 - i was able to downgrade/jailbreak/upgrade it with 0 problems. i doubt theres any risk as long as you halfass know what you're doing. but as with anything there are unknown factors and freak accidents :)

good luck!

7. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

You CAN jailbreak a OTB 1.1.2 via downgrade to 1.1.1 and then OktoPrep method. You can not however brick your iPhone. The worst case possible a simple Restore back to 1.1.2 will suffice to get you back running.

As far as unlocking a 1.1.2 OTB it is NOT possible.