Getting old! switching resolution from 2560x1440 to 1920x1080

Discussion in 'iMac' started by tootall, Sep 27, 2011.

1. tootall macrumors regular

HI folks,

The resolution on my iMac 27 2560x1440 looks wonderful but the menus are too small for my older eyes... so I have switched to 1920x1080. It is a good compromise, the quality of the image is fine and the menus are much bigger.

Are there a lot of people doing the same thing? Is there another solution??

2. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Dell 27 inch monitor (1920 x 1200). Lovely big pixels ;)

3. atopos macrumors newbie

atopos

4. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

HDMI only supports 1080p or 1920x1200 so there's no issue. This is an issue only on ultra high res. monitors.

Cheers,

5. err404 macrumors 68020

Hopefully Apple will finish implementing true resolution independence in the near future. This would allow you to specify a magnification factor while maintaining native screen resolutions (bigger fonts and windows, without getting blurry).
    A large portion of the code is already in the OS and there are ways to enable it, unfortunately it is very buggy.

6. nastymrx macrumors member

I really liked that one!.

7. WilliamG macrumors G3

I'm so desperate for true resolution independence I can't even begin to tell you. The web simply does not work 100% on 1440p displays. I'm constantly having to resize things or adjust things because parts of the web are hidden etc.

8. err404 macrumors 68020

If you use Safari and Lion with a Magic Mouse/Trackpad there is a great zoom shortcut that works similar to the smart zoom on the iPhone. Hover your mouse cursor over the section that you want to zoom on and double tap the back of your mouse w/o actually clicking (two finger double tap for the Trackpad). This will zoom to just the column under the cursor. Repeat the double tap to zoom back out.

9. tootall thread starter macrumors regular

If my understanding is correct, there is no point going to a larger monitor; at 2560x1440, the characters will be the same size regardless of the monitor size.

I am not familiar with resolution independence, but I guess it will provide me the same screen crispiness at larger sizes... I want it badly!

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Same here but that promise/hope has been with us far too long. I doubt we'll see this implemented in OSX any time soon (or even at all).

11. JInx3110, Sep 28, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2011

JInx3110 macrumors newbie

If you can't wait and the blurryness of the screen is too much maybe a larger display might not be a bad thing, if the resolution is the same and the screen is larger everything on that screen will appear larger.

for example if you went to extremes like the retina display on the iPhone compared it to watching standard definition films on a tv of any reasonable size and the retina displays resolution I'm pretty sure is even larger than that of an SD tv