Getting On Line at My Aunt's house

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Huntn, May 9, 2011.

1. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I visit my Aunt's on a semi-regular basis. She has a 2Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo iMac which is online via a Qwest ActionTec GT701-WG DSL Modem. I have a new MBP (sig) and I've tried to activate the ActionTec Modem's wireless. My MBP sees the network but when I log on to it, instead of the bars I usually see, instead there is an exclamation point. This happens whether I have it set for WEP or WPA and on my MBP I get a self assigned IP address and can't get online.

The last ditch was to unplug the ethernet cable from the back of the iMac and plug it into my MBP but my MBP still ends up with a self generated IP address. Now I'm starting to think there is some difference between my MBP and this iMac, which I'm not seeing. If I look at the network screen on the iMac it has a configure box with choices like "Use DHCP, DHCP with manual address, Using BootP, and Manually". The iMac is set to "Use DHCP". When I look at the network prefs on my MBP it says Configure iPv4 with the same choices.

Any thoughts on what the missing link might be? Is iPv4 the issue? Thanks! :)

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

The provider may have set up the modem with MAC filtering.

3. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

I'm not familiar with the mechanics of configuring that? Could you provide a description or a link? Thanks! This is something that is an issue regardless if wireless is on or off.

update: I just did a search on MAC filtering and am reading some links now. I'll look at the modem manual and see what it defaults to.

4. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

5. laurenr macrumors 6502a

There is an easier way if you are within wireless range of your Aunt's iMac, and her computer is connected via ethernet, as you say, to the DSL modem. Go to the System Preferences on her computer - Sharing- and check the box for "Internet Sharing", and select on the right side - "Share your connection from:Ethernet", then, To computers using: "Airport"

You will see her iMac name in the dropdown menu from the Airport Icon on your MBP.

6. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

I'll try this, thanks! :)