Getting petrol

ivanwi11iams

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 30, 2014
Somewhere on Earth
Over the past few months, I have been to the petrol station with my 2018 Mustang GT PP.
During my time there, I often notice people that do NOT turn off their engines, while filling their car with petrol.

Is this now a thing, or...?

HDFan

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
There are times when it makes sense. I remember reading about a photographer who was shooting, I think, the northern lights in a very desolate part of Alaska. It was so cold that he was warned not to turn off his engine as it might not start up again. I was in on the edges of the Artic Vortex this last winter. With my car facing into the 30 mph winds and with a -14F temperature the engine temperature gauge did not budge from cold.

Same thing at the other extreme, if you're filling up in the sun and it's 115.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Around my area, the only ones I see not turning off their engines are people with diesel engines and usually only during the winter.

Reactions: Huntn

jagolden

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2002
I see it all the time. People are lazy and ignorant in most cases. Also smoking and using their cell phones which is prohibited in most states.

Reactions: rbrian and Huntn

Huntn

macrumors demi-god
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I was always taught to turn off my engine and don’t recall ever seeing anyone not do so.
I think the stations expect it and/or it is posted. Also you are not supposed to get back in your vehicle during fueling, without remembering to discharge static electricity on the vehicle (when you get out the second time) before getting near the gas pump handle.

Last edited:

quagmire

macrumors 603
Apr 19, 2004
I feel weird now. From time to time, in Atlanta, GA I see people NOT turning off their engines to get petrol.

Weird...
Those people are lazy inconsiderate people who care more about convenience and will sacrifice their and others safety for it.

The only justifiable reason to keep the engine running while fueling up are those in the extreme cold environments where the engine may not restart.

jeyf

macrumors 65816
Jan 20, 2009
if someone's car caught fire I would simply drive away.
not a problemo

lostngone

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2003
Anchorage
Over the past few months, I have been to the petrol station with my 2018 Mustang GT PP.
During my time there, I often notice people that do NOT turn off their engines, while filling their car with petrol.

Is this now a thing, or...?
Yea, not a smart idea in my opinion. That USED to be a problem here in Anchorage until we became the second highest state in the nation for vehicle thefts. I see less people doing it now then I used to.
They are savage around here, they will try and steal your car WHILE you are putting gas in it! I am glad my fuel door is on the drivers side.

lostngone

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2003
Anchorage
There are times when it makes sense. I remember reading about a photographer who was shooting, I think, the northern lights in a very desolate part of Alaska. It was so cold that he was warned not to turn off his engine as it might not start up again. I was in on the edges of the Artic Vortex this last winter. With my car facing into the 30 mph winds and with a -14F temperature the engine temperature gauge did not budge from cold.

Same thing at the other extreme, if you're filling up in the sun and it's 115.
It does get cold here but I have never heard of that while fueling at a gas station. I could see that in a extremely remote place when you are alone but that is rare and is a good indication that the vehicle or the supplies in the vehicle aren’t adequate for the weather conditions.

As far as you temperature gauge not coming off the cold peg a good trick is to put a piece of cardboard over part(not all) of the radiator. That is assuming the coolant in the vehicle isn’t frozen.

vrDrew

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2010
Midlife, Midwest
I believe it is illegal to refuel a running vehicle in many jurisdictions.

Aside from a diesel-fulled vehicle in very cold conditions, there really isn't any good reason not to turn off the ignition while refuelling. Leaving the engine running poses several risks: it increases the possibility of a static-electric spark igniting the fuel vapour. And its possible the transmission may slip into gear, breaking the fuel hose and causing injury or damage due to an uncontrolled vehicle suddenly moving in a crowded gas station forecourt.

Those risks are slight - but even so, they far outweigh whatever fleeting advantages you might gain.

Turn off your car when you refuel. Thanks for wondering.