Getting photos from CF card to MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MrMinor, Nov 3, 2008.

1. MrMinor macrumors 6502

What is the best way to get my photos off my CF card and over to my new MBP? On my PC laptop I had an adapter that slid into a PC slot on the side of the laptop. I would just pop my CF card into that and be able to transfer the images. Is there something like that for my MBP or will I need to buy a USB card reader?

2. mlemonds macrumors 6502a

mlemonds

you will have to go with a USB or FW card reader.

3. ChrisA macrumors G4

y a USB card reader, or if you need slightly more speed a Firewire card reader. But I bet you could connect your camera (with the CF card inside) using USB and not have to buy anything.

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

If you don't want to buy a card reader then plug your camera directly into the USB port on your MBP.

5. MrMinor thread starter macrumors 6502

That is what I was afraid of. Oh well, it is certainly not the end of the world. The MBP is still worlds better than my PC.

6. MrMinor thread starter macrumors 6502

I don't want to have to connect the camera directly because I have a DSLR and very little desk space so there would be a good chance of the camera falling off the table at least once and that would not be good. I guess I will go buy a card reader.

7. Tosser macrumors 68030

You can get a nifty Expresscard CF card reader. Unfortunately, the CF card will be sitting out there, but if space is at a premium or you don't want to mess with USB cables and whatnot the Expresscard CF reader might be an option.

Edit: There are slow ones, using USB2-speeds, and then there are this:

http://www.synchrotech.com/products-expc/expresscard-memory-card-adapters_03-compactflash_pcie.html

Not up to 480mbps, but five times that @ 2.5Gbps.

8. mlemonds macrumors 6502a

mlemonds

are you wanting to use the card reader on the go, or just when you are at home?

9. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

i don't like taking my cf cards in and out of teh camera too much i try to keep it in there as much as i can, I'm always afraid of ruining the little pins in teh camera from so much pulling in and out...

10. Tosser macrumors 68030

So, how about a CF->SDHC adaptor? You can have that in your camera and only pull the SDHC-card out. That way, no pins will ruined. Although, I have to say, none of my CF equipment (mostly audio recorders and readers) have ever been ruined because of pulling cards in and out.

11. MrMinor thread starter macrumors 6502

thank you Tosser. this is almost exactly what I was looking for. it looks like it will still stick out a bit so it is not something I will leave in the computer, but it is better than a USB reader for my needs.

12. MrMinor thread starter macrumors 6502

Mainly just when I am home.

13. slabbius macrumors member

I plug DSLR directly into my MBP. I too, have very little desk space. That's why my camera sits on the floor while it's plugged in. It can't fall any further than it is!

14. MrMinor thread starter macrumors 6502

I have a one year old son who I call tank because he destroys everything in his path. I also have a 3 year old daughter. Chances are I would be able to play goalie and keep them away from a camera on the floor for the amount of time it would take to transfer the photos, but it would make me nervous that I might not be paying attention for a second and all of a sudden tank has it in his destructive little hands.

15. mlemonds macrumors 6502a

mlemonds

for my father i mounted a CF reader on the underside of his desk and wired the usb cable around the back of the desk to a powered USB hub that all his other devices are plugged into. That way the cables are all hidden.

you could also look at an eye-fi card and an SDHC-CF adapter - No Cables

16. MrMinor thread starter macrumors 6502

I have actually considered doing that. I was going to connect the USB hub to the underside of the table (it is just a little folding table) with velcro.

What are these? i am guessing eye-fi lets the photos transfer wirelessly. is that right? How is the speed with something like that? Would that require me buying new CF cards or is that adapter you mentioned something that would take care of it?

17. mlemonds macrumors 6502a

mlemonds

the eyefi card is a SD card that has 2GB of storage and a built in wireless card. you just leave the card in the camera and you can wirelessly transmit the photos to your computer or directly into iphoto. the SDHC-CF adapter allows the card to be used in your CF camera.

speed = SLOW in my limited experience. and the card is pretty expensive $80+ for 2GB

i am not a fan and would rather stick to my high speed CF cards and usb card reader. as long as you are not reckless, you should have no problem with any bent pins in your camera.

Edit:
    i used velcro with my father's setup too

18. MrMinor thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah it does not sound like eyefi would work for me. I have too many CF cards to start from scratch and a slow transfer speed would stink. I would rather just have a big clunky USB card reader over the eyefi option I guess. Thanks for the suggestion and the education though. I appreciate it.

19. slabbius macrumors member

I'm not sure if this is an option for you, but this is always a viable solution: http://gizmodo.com/5068952/lightning-review-griffin-simplifi-ipod+iphone-dockcard-readerusb-hub

20. mlemonds macrumors 6502a

mlemonds

21. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

22. MrMinor thread starter macrumors 6502

That is pretty cool looking. unfortunately I think it would be a little too big for the space I have on my desk. Maybe if I turn it sideways it might fit. I will have to measure how much space I have. the price is a little high though so chances are I will pass, but I will still keep it in mind just in case. Thanks!

23. vista.john macrumors regular

I just use USB card reader for sure, 2.0. I have several of them around, just in case I got disoriented around... :D

24. slabbius macrumors member

not a problem, just trying to kill several birds with one stone!

i'm going to pick one up in the next few weeks once i pick up my 08 MBP to help with desk clutter. I'm also pretty fond of the built in usb hub. That will help free up my other usb for my thumb drive and just leave my externals plugged into the hub.