Getting ready to say bye to iphone 4

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Buckmaster, Aug 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Buckmaster macrumors newbie

Stoped at Bestbuy today, and played with the HTC Evo, very nice phone. I stoped by the local Spint place, was going to sign up for one, and try it for a little while, but guy said the Evo was hard for them to get, I am on a list. My and my wife's Iphone 4 phones are nothing but trouble. 4.0.1 on both, with cases, will have one and two bars on them and can`t make or receive calls. AT&T are sending us new sims cards, but I have very little faith in them taking care of the problems. I don`t want to start a Droid vs Iphone thing. Love the iphone 4, but the drop calls, and sensor thing sucks. Just wish someone had the Evo besides Spint. Anyone made the switch? I like to see for myself if the Evo is better for me. From playing with it for about an 1/2 hour, it seems like a very neat phone.

2. chembox macrumors 6502a

Sprint's network sucks, trust me, AT&T's reception is a 'helluva lot better.

3. RMXO macrumors 6502a

Have you tried getting another phone from Apple & have you tried asking ATT for their microcell to see if you can get better reception? Somethings to consider before jumping to a new carrier & phone.

4. View macrumors regular

If you don't like Sprint, then check out the Droid Incredible or Droid X on Verizon...

5. MisterDisney macrumors 6502a

6. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

The proximity sensor issue will be fixed in a software update. Nothing to worry about there. As for dropped calls/ signal issues, wait until the iPhone makes it's debt on Verizon (and if the most recent rumors are to be believed, it'll happen sooner than you think ;)).

7. MisterDisney macrumors 6502a

Except you'll need the Verizon iPhone for that.. If it even happens. Luckily my proximity sensor is fine, had my iP4 since 23rd June.

8. Surely Guest

Surely

Then why'd you post here?:confused:

9. intervenient macrumors 6502a

I switched to the Captivate, and switching back to the iPhone 4. Android is great as a phone, sure, but as an everything in one device, the iPhone 4 mutilates it.

10. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

You say you're going to buy an iPhone?

Great! I hope you enjoy it as much as I enjoy mine, no problems at all.

By the way you might want to check your spelling.

11. ArainLA macrumors newbie

I also returned iPhone 4 that I got on launch day. I got the At&t Samsung Captivate.
    After 20 days I had enough and payed up the $45 restocking fee and called every Apple store and found another iPhone 4.

In the store these Android phones seem cool and if using apple for a while it's cool to try new OS. But after really using it ios is better.
    I spent 2 weeks customizing the phone, it was endless. Some of that was cool but it got pointless.

Apps don't look as good and neither does the screen.
    I am far from a fanboy, I have all PC's no macs at all.
    But the iPhone is the best phone out there.

The second iPhone 4 had less issues with proximity sensor but it's still not perfect like the 3GS. When you hold phone with chin (no hands) the issue pops up.
    But I lock the phone when in call and it's ok.
    Not acceptable as permanent fix but I'll wait for a fix.

12. Irish Rose macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A400 Safari/6531.22.7)

Good luck with Sprint. Make sure you use their 30 day trial period wisely.

13. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

I used to have Sprint before getting a 3G. Network was awesome. Sprint runs circles around AT&T. Saying AT&T is a "halluva lot better" is ridiculous.

14. Buckmaster thread starter macrumors newbie

chembox, that is what I am afraid of.
    chanerz, screw you.
    RMXO, thanks, yes, I have Hughesnet, because that is all available here, and microcell won`t work with satellite internet, at less that is what at&t said.
    Alpple... that would be nice, like to get this resolved befor I am locked in with at&t for another two years.
    Surely, I post because this is a great site, with a lot of helpful people, as I stated, love the iphone 4, but as great as it is, I need to make a call once in awhile.
    ArainLA, thanks, that is what I was after, someone that has actually have tried the competition. I have new sims cards coming. I was planing on trying Sprint, only because I can take everything back and opt out with in 30 days. Maybe I should just get both iphones replaced. I had the iphone 3G since it came out, and as far as calls, if it had a signal, it worked.

15. Joe52985 macrumors newbie

It all depends on where you are in the country. Take my situation for example.

I have and iPhone 4, wife has a 3GS. Sister has blackberry storm on verizon, my friend has an evo on sprint.

I have never once dropped a call on my ip4. My wife's 3GS works flawlessly, no dropped calls. My sister on verizon, no matter which phone she has (moved from several dumbphones to a few blackberries) loses service everywhere. My friend with the evo, loses 3G in buildings and has never seen a 4g signal, even in Boston.

We are in rhode island. I'm saying all this because the situation would be quite different if we were in Florida or Chicago or Cali. Saying that sprints service is bad because you don't have good coverage is irresponsible. Saying that verizon Is the best because you never drop calls, also not the whole picture.

If you are having signal issues, that sucks, pick whatever works for you in your area. I wouldn't move to an evo or samsung because in MY area, coverage is no good.

Att would in all likelihood, toss you a microcell or a bunch of discounts if you complain. But you HAVE TO complain.

As for the phones. The evo is great but it feels more like a tech demo than an everyday device. Haven't used a captivate.

16. rotlex macrumors 6502a

Very true. If Sprint offered the iPhone, I'd go back in a minute. They simply smoke every other carrier as far as speed and reliability are concerned. At least in the area I live, and the areas I frequent. ATT simply stinks.

17. chembox macrumors 6502a

It really depends on where you live. I'm always on 4/5 bars of 3G with AT&T no matter where I travel, but with Sprint it barely covers my area.

It's a personal opinion, sorry to offend anyone, and to each to their own.

18. Buckmaster thread starter macrumors newbie

Joe52985, thanks, sound about right. I am going to give apple another chance to fix my issues. I live in a weak signal area, but when a friend can use his at&t phone in my living room, and I can`t use my high dollar smart phone outside, something is wrong. I could understand if i had no signal, but when it shows bars, and don`t work :( AT&T was going to give me a microcell, but it won't work with Hughesnet.

19. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

Whoops! It seems you spelled my username wrong? Oh, well. :rolleyes:

Apple will fix the proximity sensor bug regardless of if you get into a 2-year contract with AT&T or not. I'm expecting the software fix will be released in 4.0.3 or 4.1.

What carrier/ phone do you have now?

I'm glad you've decided to give Apple another chance. What phone does your friend have? Put a case on your iP4 if you feel "antenna-gate" is ruining your experience. ;)

20. Buckmaster thread starter macrumors newbie

Apple..., sorry about the spelling. We have cases on both phones. I have never been bothered by the "antenna-gate" issue. Just don`t touch the phone there. My friend has a Sony Ericsson. He shows the same signal as our iphones, but he can make and receive calls. Some times my phone will receive a call, but drops the call as soon as it is answered. Like I said before, our old iphone 3g phones, I could make and receive calls from anywhere that showed a signal. The more I think about it, there has to be issues with our phones, if all iphone 4 worked like these, there would be a great uproar, look what happen with someone figured out if you touch the gap, the signal drops.

21. dulaney22 macrumors regular

I made the switch from 3GS to Verizon and the Droid X. After a month of use, all I can say is Apple has a lot of catching up to do. First, Verizon's coverage is light years ahead of AT&T. No more dropped calls and 3G data everywhere. Second, the phone actually does what I want it to do. You have everything from widgets to tasker, not to mention almost an inch bigger screen that displays close to twice the page as the iPhone. Third, this talk about polished apps is jibberish. Major app runs just as well on Android. I will say that the gam selection isn't as broad.

I'm interested to see what's in store for the next iPhone. Maybe I'll switch back is Apple let's me change a setting within 4 screens, allows swype, voice to texte, etc. In the meantime, I'll stick with a phone that does what I want, rather than what Steve Jobs.

22. DanggxAmanda macrumors regular

DanggxAmanda

My dad had a blackberry curve on sprint for 2 years and it was dropped calls 24/7 he just switched to another curve on AT&T about 2 weeks ago and he loves it

23. Sleazy E macrumors 65816

Sleazy E

Do not believe a word of your cool story. So long, take care!

24. DroidRules macrumors 65816

Why do you really think any one cares if you stay or go? No need to blog about it here. Don't like it move on... don't let the door h it you in the butt on the way out ;)

25. Jare macrumors 65816

Jare

I'm going to start calling my iPhone "iOS4" and my Blackberry "OS6" since everyone likes to call their HTC/Moto Android phones "Android".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.