Getting ready to update to 7-Nervous

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by trlyka, Mar 15, 2014.

1. trlyka macrumors 6502a

trlyka

Ok, I am giving in to iOS 7. I HATE the icon colors and font, but I need to be able to block people and there are a few other features I do like.

Anything important I should know before I switch? Is there an option to revert back to iOS 6? I am not jailbroken.

2. luckydcxx macrumors 65816

luckydcxx

there is no way back once you go down the rabbit hole.

trust me you won't regret it, its a very refreshing change for someone that has been using the same OS for years.

3. Ann P macrumors 68020

Once you update to 7.1 there's no going back and no way to jailbreak this version as of yet. If your pros outweighs your cons, I don't see why not.

4. dannyyankou macrumors 604

dannyyankou

5. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Don't do it!

These other people just want to draw you into a horrible fate!

Beware...

[​IMG]

;) :D

6. ben824 macrumors regular

I was very anti-iOS7 when I first saw it. But since the betas they have changed enough of the looks that I was able to tolerate it and make the jump. Now that I have been using it for months and with the release of 7.1 I actually really enjoy it and prefer it over the old look. The lock screen is actually useful and clean. I find myself using notification center much more now. And blocking numbers very very handy for stopping telemarketers. Its different yes but familiar. Some things may take a little getting used to like deleting individual emails now means swiping to the left and not to the right. Deleting individual chat bubbles in a text/iMessage conversation takes a few extra steps but its also because they added more features.

Yes the fruity colors still bug me a little bit but you get used to it. The feature benefits far make up for the silly colors. And with the right wallpapers you can darker up the theme a bit so its not so childish. I am actually using wallpapers that came on the phone now.

7. Vanilla35 macrumors 68030

Vanilla35

The theme still sucks. That's never going to change. But the functionality and change is nice enough to upgrade. Since 7.1 (and literally only since 7.1) iOS 7 has become OK for me. I'm still hoping for a 7.1 jailbreak so that I can change the theme though. But that's just me

8. Richardgm macrumors 6502a

Richardgm

I see you have an iPhone 5 (signature). In that case, you should go ahead and upgrade. 7.1 ironed out some of the bugs in 7.0.

9. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

I would absolutely NOT advise anyone to make the change if they have an iPhone 4 or an iPhone 5. With the i4 the performance is abysmal - delays whilst typing, general lag and Safari low RAM crashes. With the iPhone 5 comes a significant and wholly unacceptable shortening of battery life and I'm talking HOURS shorter.

10. Kurios2 macrumors regular

Kurios2

Whoa!

Attached Files:

11. Tar Sniffer macrumors 6502

If you are using an iPhone 4 then I'd strongly advice against it. My phone was so crippled from iOS 7 that I had to get rid of it. Only download if you have a 4S and above.

12. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

I would do it to my iPhone 4 a 1000 times over again just to have the new UI and the control center. But if your not going to do it for those reasons then you should probably only do 4s and above.

13. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

My dad's iPhone4 is terrible now and I've done two clean installs for him. He has no apps other than the ones included in the o/s, so nothing is causing a conflict. The hardware is way too old to run this bloated, power hungry o/s in anything but a ramshackle way. As for control centre, meh. Hardly essential. Delays whilst typing and general sloooooooow running are in no way a trade off for anything, least of all control centre. YMMV of course (and does lolz).

14. Vanilla35 macrumors 68030

Vanilla35

Yeah, there's no reason to ruin the perfectly good experience you have on iOS 6 by upgrading to iOS 7. Wait until you have a new device. Since iOS 7, I'm never going to upgrade software more then 1-2 years ahead of the sale of my device.

15. MrGuder macrumors 68020

It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be going from iOS 6 but I will say that I still hate the music app on iOS 7, if they would fix that I would be really really happy. Cascading through 100 albums per artists is just crazy, give me back the list view like iOS 6, it's so sad they ruined a perfect music app.

16. patrickgerr macrumors member

This is apples way of forcing you to buy the iPhone 6 when it comes out. Instead of extending the life of your current phone you'll be so disgusted after you upgrade to iOS 7 that you'll want to upgrade ASAP. It's a vicious cycle

17. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

If you are nervous, then don't upgrade it. Very simple. :apple:

18. Donoban macrumors 6502a

Donoban

Were your fears justified? I hope you're OK brah.

19. nickdylan macrumors regular

I'd have to disagree. My iPhone 5 and iPad 4 haven't lost any battery life switching to iOS 7.

20. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

Every SINGLE person I know with an iPhone 5 has experienced *major* battery drain. The only people who say they haven't reside on the internet and although I'm not disputing that some i5 handsets are ok, I know for a fact that mine isn't and my friends' aren't. Also, ARS Technica's benchtests support my own personal experience.

I can't comment on the iPad4 as I don't own one but the iPhone 4 has taken a massive hit in terms of lag and overall speed. Again this is backed up for me personally by knowing two people who own iPhone4 handsets and again, ARS Technica's benchtesting.

21. antiprotest macrumors 65816

antiprotest

iOS 7 looks and works so much better. You will beat yourself up for not having done it sooner.

22. coconutxyz, Mar 15, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2014

coconutxyz macrumors member

Getting ready to update to 7-Nervous

From nervous to furious, worst battery i've had since ios 7 beta 1

23. watchthisspace macrumors 6502a

I want to play a horrible prank and make your iPhone update to iOS:7

24. Dented macrumors 6502a

It's perfect on the iPhone 5 and is probably the OS it should always have come with.

From what I hear 7.1 dramatically improves things in the iPhone 4 too.

25. deluxeshredder macrumors 6502a

Be ready to say goodbye to haute UI design and hello to "Nyan Cat" mess.