Getting ready to update to 7-Nervous

trlyka

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 26, 2011
Ok, I am giving in to iOS 7. I HATE the icon colors and font, but I need to be able to block people and there are a few other features I do like.

Anything important I should know before I switch? Is there an option to revert back to iOS 6? I am not jailbroken.

luckydcxx

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2013
there is no way back once you go down the rabbit hole.

trust me you won't regret it, its a very refreshing change for someone that has been using the same OS for years.

Ann P

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2009
California
Once you update to 7.1 there's no going back and no way to jailbreak this version as of yet. If your pros outweighs your cons, I don't see why not.

ben824

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2012
GA
I was very anti-iOS7 when I first saw it. But since the betas they have changed enough of the looks that I was able to tolerate it and make the jump. Now that I have been using it for months and with the release of 7.1 I actually really enjoy it and prefer it over the old look. The lock screen is actually useful and clean. I find myself using notification center much more now. And blocking numbers very very handy for stopping telemarketers. Its different yes but familiar. Some things may take a little getting used to like deleting individual emails now means swiping to the left and not to the right. Deleting individual chat bubbles in a text/iMessage conversation takes a few extra steps but its also because they added more features.

Yes the fruity colors still bug me a little bit but you get used to it. The feature benefits far make up for the silly colors. And with the right wallpapers you can darker up the theme a bit so its not so childish. I am actually using wallpapers that came on the phone now.

Vanilla35

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2013
Washington D.C.
The theme still sucks. That's never going to change. But the functionality and change is nice enough to upgrade. Since 7.1 (and literally only since 7.1) iOS 7 has become OK for me. I'm still hoping for a 7.1 jailbreak so that I can change the theme though. But that's just me

Richardgm

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2008
I see you have an iPhone 5 (signature). In that case, you should go ahead and upgrade. 7.1 ironed out some of the bugs in 7.0.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
I would absolutely NOT advise anyone to make the change if they have an iPhone 4 or an iPhone 5. With the i4 the performance is abysmal - delays whilst typing, general lag and Safari low RAM crashes. With the iPhone 5 comes a significant and wholly unacceptable shortening of battery life and I'm talking HOURS shorter.

Tar Sniffer

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2012
If you are using an iPhone 4 then I'd strongly advice against it. My phone was so crippled from iOS 7 that I had to get rid of it. Only download if you have a 4S and above.

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Dec 15, 2013
New York
If you are using an iPhone 4 then I'd strongly advice against it. My phone was so crippled from iOS 7 that I had to get rid of it. Only download if you have a 4S and above.
I would do it to my iPhone 4 a 1000 times over again just to have the new UI and the control center. But if your not going to do it for those reasons then you should probably only do 4s and above.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
I would do it to my iPhone 4 a 1000 times over again just to have the new UI and the control center. But if your not going to do it for those reasons then you should probably only do 4s and above.
My dad's iPhone4 is terrible now and I've done two clean installs for him. He has no apps other than the ones included in the o/s, so nothing is causing a conflict. The hardware is way too old to run this bloated, power hungry o/s in anything but a ramshackle way. As for control centre, meh. Hardly essential. Delays whilst typing and general sloooooooow running are in no way a trade off for anything, least of all control centre. YMMV of course (and does lolz).

Vanilla35

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2013
Washington D.C.
My dad's iPhone4 is terrible now and I've done two clean installs for him. He has no apps other than the ones included in the o/s, so nothing is causing a conflict. The hardware is way too old to run this bloated, power hungry o/s in anything but a ramshackle way. As for control centre, meh. Hardly essential. Delays whilst typing and general sloooooooow running are in no way a trade off for anything, least of all control centre. YMMV of course (and does lolz).
Yeah, there's no reason to ruin the perfectly good experience you have on iOS 6 by upgrading to iOS 7. Wait until you have a new device. Since iOS 7, I'm never going to upgrade software more then 1-2 years ahead of the sale of my device.

MrGuder

macrumors 68030
Nov 30, 2012
It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be going from iOS 6 but I will say that I still hate the music app on iOS 7, if they would fix that I would be really really happy. Cascading through 100 albums per artists is just crazy, give me back the list view like iOS 6, it's so sad they ruined a perfect music app.

patrickgerr

macrumors member
Dec 8, 2012
This is apples way of forcing you to buy the iPhone 6 when it comes out. Instead of extending the life of your current phone you'll be so disgusted after you upgrade to iOS 7 that you'll want to upgrade ASAP. It's a vicious cycle

Badrottie

Suspended
May 8, 2011
Los Angeles
Ok, I am giving in to iOS 7. I HATE the icon colors and font, but I need to be able to block people and there are a few other features I do like.

Anything important I should know before I switch? Is there an option to revert back to iOS 6? I am not jailbroken.
If you are nervous, then don't upgrade it. Very simple. :apple:

Donoban

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2013

Were your fears justified? I hope you're OK brah.

nickdylan

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2012
I would absolutely NOT advise anyone to make the change if they have an iPhone 4 or an iPhone 5. With the i4 the performance is abysmal - delays whilst typing, general lag and Safari low RAM crashes. With the iPhone 5 comes a significant and wholly unacceptable shortening of battery life and I'm talking HOURS shorter.
I'd have to disagree. My iPhone 5 and iPad 4 haven't lost any battery life switching to iOS 7.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
I'd have to disagree. My iPhone 5 and iPad 4 haven't lost any battery life switching to iOS 7.
Every SINGLE person I know with an iPhone 5 has experienced *major* battery drain. The only people who say they haven't reside on the internet and although I'm not disputing that some i5 handsets are ok, I know for a fact that mine isn't and my friends' aren't. Also, ARS Technica's benchtests support my own personal experience.

I can't comment on the iPad4 as I don't own one but the iPhone 4 has taken a massive hit in terms of lag and overall speed. Again this is backed up for me personally by knowing two people who own iPhone4 handsets and again, ARS Technica's benchtesting.

antiprotest

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2010
iOS 7 looks and works so much better. You will beat yourself up for not having done it sooner.

coconutxyz

macrumors member
Oct 11, 2011
Getting ready to update to 7-Nervous

From nervous to furious, worst battery i've had since ios 7 beta 1

Last edited:

Dented

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2009
It's perfect on the iPhone 5 and is probably the OS it should always have come with.

From what I hear 7.1 dramatically improves things in the iPhone 4 too.