Getting Rosetta back in OSX

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by jwolf6589, Jul 23, 2011.

1. jwolf6589 macrumors 6502a

jwolf6589

I would LOVE to move to LION, but I cannot afford Office 11 at this time, and 04 does all that I need anyways. But a major issue is Quicken. Check out this page

http://www.fivecentnickel.com/2011/03/03/will-mac-os-x-lion-kill-quicken-2007-3/

I am still using Quicken 2006 and I did try Quicken Essentials which is just the bare basics. It does not even have a third of the features in my version of Quicken. If I moved to LION this would mean I would lose Quicken which wud be a serious problem for me. I am aware of Fusion and Parallels, but I cannot afford them at this time and booting into boot camp just to run Quicken for Windows would be insane, so it looks like my only move is to remain on Snow Leopard, until a crafty and smart third party developer finds out a way to get Rosetta back in OSX.

John

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Why keep depending on Rosetta?

Intuit should have updated Quicken to Intel years ago. Instead, they are clinging to a platform that was killed 5 years ago.

I'd say find a new app.

3. gentlefury macrumors 68030

Legacy doesn't last forever...sometimes you have to move on.

4. btbrossard macrumors 6502a

If you need Rosetta, the only thing to do is remain on Snow Leopard for now.

If you want Lion, you could create a Snow Leopard partition and boot into that when you need Rosetta.

Or you could keep an older mac around running Snow Leopard or earlier for your Rosetta needs. No one can have enough computers laying around the house...

I would doubt a third party can get Rosetta on Lion. Just the legalities make it seem far fetched.

5. MacOS macrumors newbie

Agreed. Intuit has had ample time to update the app. Looks like the Product Manager of Quicken is asleep at the wheel.

Keep in mind that action speak louder than words. If this was important to them it would have been updated. So you have your answer. Quietly let it die a slow death. I suggest you move on.

6. Honey Badger macrumors 6502a

Honey Badger

For what it is worth, I used Quicken 2004 for years and just switched to iBank last month because of Lion. I was told Quicken Essentials was horrible so I didn't give it a look. I looked at many other financial apps though and finally settled on iBank and I am happy with it. Good luck.

7. jwolf6589 thread starter macrumors 6502a

jwolf6589

Yes essentials was a very very bad joke. Quicken 98 for Windows back in the day was 10 times more powerful than the joke called Essentials! I have heard about this iBank and visited their website. Is it any good? Will it import my Quicken 2006 data? Will it DIRECT CONNECT to my AMEX and CitiBank Credit Cards?

8. Simon Templar macrumors member

Simon Templar

Quicken Essentials for Mac will run on Lion.

This is not really great news, however. I am in the process of switching over to QE (mostly because the switchover is easier than a compleatly new package...which I may very well yet switch to.) To be honest, I think it is the worst piece of coding I have ever seen. But, it is stable...and it will reliably do what little it has been designed to do.

But design is the problem....

It has less than half the features of past versions, and the interface is a disgrace. Apparently, Intuit thinks we all want an accounting package that looks and acts like iTunes. ( Ummm....Why????? ) Seems to me that I'd rather have an accounting package that looked and acted like an accounting package. But, hey...that's just me.

It is a perfect example of what you get when you give a Mac coding project to a couple of PC code-monkeys who have their heads too far up their asses to learn to code Mac. They've done the absolute minimum...and not one inch more. (Most likely because they couldn't figure out how to do more..and they knew it)

QE has a utility to convert your file from previous versions to it's own format. I moved up from Q2005 and it transferred everything over without hiccup.

For what it's worth,

.....sT

9. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

Ask the developers this question, not the users!

Sorry, but the platform was not "killed". Apple does just not use the PowerPC processors in current products. That is all.

Many supercomputers use PowerPC processors, because they are very efficient. For example number 12 and number 15 from the TOP500 supercomputer list (June 2011) use PowerPC processors, or the PowerPC instruction set architecture (PowerPC-ISA).

10. DannySmurf macrumors 6502a

The developers have been lazy because the users haven't pushed them to update their products. The developers will continue to be lazy as long as neither the users nor the system builders push them to update their products. This forces Intuit to get moving. Win.

11. ipedro macrumors 68040

ipedro

There was a rumour not too long ago that Intuit was looking to license Rosetta from Apple so that Quicken would use Rosetta self contained within the app and run fine on Lion. [source]

I personally think they're jumping unnecessary hurdles when they should just be rewriting their app. They've had 5 years to do so.

It's not as if there weren't an audience eagerly waiting to buy their new app. Mac has seen a major resurgence lately that has enabled developers to make just as much (or more) revenue as developing an app for Windows.

My advice is to just find a new app. Break free from the past. It's time.

12. gentlefury macrumors 68030

I like iWork a lot better than office...and its way less expensive

13. *LTD* macrumors G4

*LTD*

14. BiggAW macrumors 68020

Rosetta has been just chilling there doing nothing for like 3-4 years now, we can't hold on to legacy forever. If you want to run old software and have legacy support basically forever, then use Windows. They still support Windows 3.1 software on Windows 7 by running the XP VM and installing in Win95 compatibility mode. Heck, I have run Windows 3.1 software on my Mac in Parallels, but Mac software doesn't work that way.

15. aristobrat macrumors G4

Quicken Essentials can DIRECT CONNECT to your AMEX and CitiBank Credit Cards. Be kinda ironic if iBank couldn't. :D

16. Simon Templar macrumors member

Simon Templar

Don't hold your breath.

....sT

17. Honey Badger macrumors 6502a

Honey Badger

My Quicken 2004 QIF file imported into iBank perfectly for me. No errors at all! It was so easy. My citibank credit card direct connects with iBank and Amex is on their list of accepted banks as well. You can buy iBank through the app store, but if you are uncertain, you can download it for a 30 day free trial directly from the website. There is a slight learning curve and I had to get over a 12 year Quicken habit, but I am used to it now and like it. On the downside, it does not have bill paying, but I heard iBank has that in the queue for a future update. Hope that helps.

18. tblrsa macrumors regular

I´d be interested to see if there is a possibility to hack Rosetta back into Lion. Well, just for the heck of it, as some Apps still depend on it. Users should still have the choice to install it.

19. Draeconis macrumors 6502a

Snow Leopard removed support for running on a PowerPC machine, but still could run PPC apps because it was built with x86, x86_64 and PPC instruction sets. In Lion, they've removed all traces of PPC, so even with Rosetta installed, there's nothing in Lion to understand PPC calls, so it won't work.

I've created a small partition with Snow Leopard on, so I can still play Diablo II (I need to keep myself occupied until Diablo III comes out!), that's your only way round it really. That or you could run 10.6 in a VM.

20. tblrsa macrumors regular

No chance to write an emulator or VM which does not run on OS level, but is instead being started when the app is launched? This should do the trick. I imagine it could be built like a wrapper around the app.

21. Draeconis macrumors 6502a

A bit like a translation layer? Valve wrote one that translates DirectX calls to OpenGL ones so we can play DirectX games on OS X, that's the only kind of example I can think of.

I think creating a PPC to Intel translation layer would require enormous work, especially since it would be for a largely unsupported and outdated set of applications.

Installing SL on another partition, or running it in a VM really isn't that hard, it's simple to set up, and most importantly you don't have to wait for someone to bother to develop it ;)

22. tblrsa macrumors regular

Well, yeah, kinda like a translation layer. VM will work fine, but I´d still like to see some proof of concept. :)

23. BiggAW macrumors 68020

How do you run SL in a VM? At that point, you may as well just install it on XP or 7.

24. moonchilddave macrumors regular

Check out MoneyWell: http://nothirst.com/moneywell/

It has direct connect. I've seen iBank and MoneyWell reviewed a few times, and it seems that MoneyWell always comes out on top. I've also heard the iBank folks aren't very responsive. I just got a copy for my birthday and so far I'm loving it - although there is a SLIGHT learning curve - but they do have really good tutorial videos and articles on there site to help you get the hang of it.