Getting scammed on eBay. Help!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by 0mar, Oct 24, 2011.

1. 0mar macrumors newbie

Hello MacRumors forums. I am posting here on advice of a friend, who said I could get advice.

I sold my MBP (2007) via eBay on Sep 19th. The buyer made a prompt payment via PayPal, so I though everything was normal.

Before sending it, I was talking with my friend who said: "Does the buyer have 0 feedback?", to which I answered "I do not know, let me go check." Effectively, the buyer was international and with 0 feedback. I wish this would have raised the red flags it should have in my mind...

The good news is that my friend said "take a video showing the system working and in the condition stated", which I did. It shows the date, serial numbers on the screen and on the box, process of power off and packaging.

I then shipped the item, a few days later, insured.

Fast forward a month after the day of the sale, to Oct. 18th. I receive a message from the buyer stating that the machine does not work. That they only see an Apple logo and nothing else. And they requested a full refund. Sigh...

I went to eBay and sent feedback stating the possible scam. I got a record number, but eBay never got back to me.

On Oct. 22nd, the buyer opened a case against me (seller) via eBay, stating that the item was not as described and was damaged. I replied via the case, that the item was exactly as described and properly packaged. I mentioned that I could not offer technical support and that she should go to Apple to get technical assistance. I also added that I had the video to proof the item was exactly as described.

The buyer escalated and I am not awaiting to hear back from eBay. I did call eBay and they reassured that at some point they will request information from me, at which point I could supply the video as evidence.

Of course, my concern here is that the item was tampered with. Removal and/or exchange of internal components, etc.

I have a flawless feedback over 11 years with not a single negative feedback or incident. It is not huge, but not shabby either... 165.

I am waiting to hear back from eBay. In the mean time, could someone offer some advice on what I can and should proactively do to avoid getting scammed?

Thanks.

2. W1MRK macrumors 6502

I have had a similar issue. Ebay sided with me just by the pics listed on my listing. I would wait and see. this was long ago and not a computer but I was told that the process can take awhile. Your feedback may speak for itself.

3. djhyro macrumors member

Does your auction state anything regarding "all sales final" ?? Considering you have proof of the unit working before sending it out and the length of time it took for them to file a claim (one month), I'm sure eBay will side with you, given also your good track record of feedback. eBay might also request proof from the buyer (possibly justification from a certified Apple technician). Just be on point with anything eBay requests from you. :)

4. W1MRK macrumors 6502

before I forget I limit my listing to US only, not even Canada. This will help you down the road. Also you can restrict bids from people with 0 feedback.

5. ZZ Bottom macrumors 6502a

that really sucks. Ebay is a cesspool, I always sell locally using craigslist. I just accept the marginal loss in profit.

good luck to you. You're one of the few if you actually documented it all.

6. neenja macrumors 6502

i had a similar situation when selling a phone a couple years ago. i ended up giving the guy a refund and he shipped me back the device.. even tho i clearly stated that the device is sold AS IS and that I offer no refunds.

i went ahead and gave him a refund anyway, and the jerk left me my first negative feedback ever. i tried to fight it and asked ebay about removing the feedback but they left it as is.

im sorry to hear about your issue, but honestly, theres really nothing else that can be done. call ebay again, or find them via live chat to insure that you even provided a video about it working.

7. GenesisJLS macrumors regular

GenesisJLS

Ebay will side with you. Don't worry about it. I have heard numerous anecdotes about this exact issue (mostly with car parts though). Just don't worry about it too much, okay? :D

How much did you sell the old MBP for anyway? I'm actually looking to purchase an old one.

8. Jazojas12 macrumors regular

Ebay and PayPal screwed me over before. I sold a $100 Best Buy gift card. Buyer paid right away. A day before the limit to file a complaint they filed saying the card never arrived. I shipped it via USPS with just an envelope. I had a picture showing the name/address and receipt with it. I provided ebay and paypal with that, showing the gift card was used in their city a few days after I sent it out. I had about a lot off 100% positive feedback, the buyer had 50 or so negative feedback(they scammed other people right at the same time and they left that in the comment section). ebay said it was in paypal's hands. Paypal sided with the buyer saying I didn't have proof. So I was out a $100 gift card and about $100.

Now I avoid ebay as much as possible, Amazon is better. Occasionally I will sell larger items on there but try other options first like craigslist.

Hopefully ebay does right for you, I would think they would because of the evidence..but any normal person can see mine too so who knows..

9. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

i hate sellers like you. why won't you ship to Canada? what's the big deal? as long as i'm paying for the shipping with tracking and insurance, WHAT IS THE BIG DEAL?

i'm a legit buyer, and seller on eBay (with a ton of feedback), and when i happen to find a wicked deal i can't even buy it.

let me hear your stupid ass explanation.

10. duffer6 macrumors 6502

I will respond for the poster you asked a question of, your response to him is enough for me to never ship to you. Rude is an understatement. Honestly are you for real....

11. jenzjen macrumors 68000

Did a month really go by between delivery, and their opening a case? If so, that's probably what will save you. I'd make sure to point this out to eBay.

12. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

typical american..

there's a reason why a lot of people hate your country.

you idiots make it seem like canada is as bas as nigeria.. we're on the same ****in continent and you can't ship to anyone here? :rolleyes:

13. IllIllIll macrumors 6502a

And you are probably one of the reasons why a lot of people won't ship stuff to your country.

People hate the USA because we won't ship eBay items internationally? That's a new one.

14. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

how would you like it if you went on eBay.com (international) website, and every item you wanted to buy wasn't available to US buyers?

that's what i thought.

and your logic is flawed. when i go and buy something, i don't communicate with the seller. how would he know my attitude? in fact, i'm a pretty chill, successful person. i'm only ranting on here cause of that stupid post, IT MAKES NO SENSE.

albeit, i have contact a few US sellers who have, without any hesitation, shipped items to me even though they said US shipping only. i gladly paid the extra fees and we were both satisfied in the end.

15. eric/ Guest

eric/

That's why I hate the U.S.

16. Lindenhurst, Oct 24, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2011

Lindenhurst macrumors 6502a

I have sold many items on ebay and have had 2 problems with scammer buyers trying to rip me off. After several hundred completed transaction, i guess that isn't too bad.

As much as i like craigs list, time is money, and the thought of taking the time to meet someone somewhere to sell an item doesn't make financial sense to me.

17. IllIllIll, Oct 24, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2011

IllIllIll macrumors 6502a

I'd find someplace else to buy what I'm looking for. Simple.

Actually, if your rude attitude and demeanor are at all representative of most Canadians - and given your "the world hates the USA" statement, it appears to be - then it's no surprise that most people don't want to ship to a country where people like you reside. So yes, it makes perfect sense.

Bottom line: the person's post you were responding to did not warrant such a rant or rude response, and had nothing to do with the original point of this thread. The only thing you managed to do was make yourself look like a jerk.

18. W1MRK macrumors 6502

Many reasons. Customs, Taxes, Legality of International Transport of Goods, Laws of other countries regarding the protection of seller from fraud. I could go on but I will simply end with this. Because I do not want to. :) Thanks for asking

19. eric/ Guest

eric/

Yup. All this. Maybe Canada should just make their own ebay and quit QQing.

20. aCondor macrumors 6502

I suspect acfusion29 is the buyer and is mad that this thread exist detailing his attempted scam. :p

Back on topic, I'm sorry the OP has to go through this. Usually it works out for the best, though. EBay is a reputable company that has to work through these kinds of dealings thousands of times per day.

21. Ieo macrumors 6502

I agree eBay is overflowing with scumbags....but if you take appropriate measures, you should be just fine.

-ALWAYS ship with signature confirmation on anything valuable. I ship via USPS priority because it's integrated with eBay/paypal and you actually get a break on shipping.

-ALWAYS be clear about your refund/return/exchange policy

-ALWAYS document the item's condition meticulously; detailed photos, 100% honest item description, a "boot and box" video if you feel it's necessary, etc.

-Use eBay's included methods of protecting yourself; limit buyers who are international, have zero or negative feedback, don't use paypal, etc.

-ALWAYS double check everything. I know more than one less than savvy acquaintance who has fallen for the "fake paypal payment email" scam....

-While I admit I don't (usually) do it myself....It's a smart idea to insure the item in transit. If it gets lost....I'm willing to bet eBay will side with the buyer.
    Include half the cost as a handling charge if it's too steep, but remember most savvy buyers factor in shipping costs when bidding. Free shipping really does attract attention (I know I use the free shipping filter regularly when searching on eBay, amazon, etc).

Usually, if you at least follow 1 & 3 to the letter......eBay has your back. Usually.

*Edit*

Oh, and to the guy complaining about people not shipping to Canada....

While I DO offer to ship to Canada (ONLY- nothing else international).....I dislike it because 9 times out of 10 the buyer will contact me asking me to de-value the item in the customs declaration or mark it as a gift, etc. It's your law- not mine. I'm not going to leave myself open to shenanigans just so you can avoid some taxes or whatever.

22. wikus macrumors 68000

wikus

I'm getting really tired of this sentiment that only USA has certain privileges, and that anything outside of their borders is not worth writing about (except for invading nations for oil control and profiteering under the guise of liberating a nation).

That said, we DO have a canadian site;

http://www.ebay.ca/

23. hotgrease macrumors regular

"You poor thing. To have to grow up in Canada. With America right there!" - Barney Stinson

I actually like Canada, but it is less stressful to ship only within the US.

I hate using eBay because there are a lot of scammers and it also doesn't run all that smoothly. I had a buyer who bought a computer and eBay cancelled the bid a minute later because it was a scam (zero bids, not a registered user, etc.). Then a month later that same user somehow opens a case saying they hadn't received the item. I had to respond to it and it took eBay 10 days to sort it out. Meanwhile I'm worrying about the whole situation. Needless to say now I only sell to buyers with some feedback, though I'll sell smaller items internationally too.

24. ThomasBoss macrumors regular

http://www.ebay.ca/

25. Jazojas12 macrumors regular

The person who scammed me (and about 50 others) and won was from Unionville, Ontario.:rolleyes: