Getting stopped to find directions with you iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mikeinternet, Apr 20, 2009.

1. mikeinternet macrumors 6502a

mikeinternet

Anyone else been stopped on the street to look up directions with your iPhone?

It's happened to me a couple times and just happened again this afternoon. I'm always glad to help and make even more use of the phone.

Anyone else been stopped or stop others? Like helping? Hate being bother?

TITLE TYPO* "with your* iPhone" (man I hate that)

2. aok1975 macrumors 6502

Are you saying that someone stopped you to specifically ask you to use your iphone to help them find where they are going?

3. Dr. Cabrera macrumors 65816

You might be one of those guys that flashes his phone around a lot

wow you must be asking to get robbed, I'd be careful

4. aok1975 macrumors 6502

How could he mean that? Did you even read what he wrote?

Anyone else been stopped on the street to look up directions with your iPhone?
    It's happened to me a couple times and just happened again this afternoon. I'm always glad to help and make even more use of the phone.
    Anyone else been stopped or stop others?
    Like helping? Hate being bother?
    TITLE TYPO* "with your* iPhone" (man I hate that)

5. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

I mean, I've been asked for directions while I've had my phone on me, but you seem to be asking if I've been asked for directions BECAUSE I had an iPhone, in which case the answer is no. I'm not even sure that most people are familiar enough with an iPhone to differentiate it, know that it's a 3G, and know that you can get walking directions on it.

6. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Ok, I get it! No, I don't pull out my iPhone. If I do help, its because I happen to know where x-y-z place actually is. True its sort of a punishment to some people who really need help, but a few jerks and thieves take an advantage to steal your stuff, not worth the risk anymore.

There! I deleted my post.

7. mikeinternet thread starter macrumors 6502a

mikeinternet

I actually meant someone specifically know that the iphone i'm holding can find the street they are looking for. That is what happened to me today.

Sure more often than that happening I have been asked directions in general and used my phone to help.

8. cap'njack macrumors member

Can't say I ever have, although when I'm out and about I generally only use my iPhone if I get a call or a text. I'm rather nervous of the area I work in so I don't make it known that I have an iPhone.

9. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

The only time I've been asked for directions is when I'm with a friend. We're lost and she asks me to use my phone and its GPS.
    It's not exactly what you're talking about, but that's about as close as it gets. I usually don't like anyone to know I've got an iPhone.

10. mikeinternet thread starter macrumors 6502a

mikeinternet

I wouldn't say I flash my phone around. But I'm on the maps a lot. Always go to new places without having any clue which way to go.

Don't think much about getting mugged cause of it. And I live in Oakland,CA now so it not like we have the lowest crime rate.

11. the-sandman macrumors regular

the-sandman

I don't flash mine around, but i am using it quite a lot whilst out (finding music, texting/tweeting and using maps) but i only really am out and about with it in the middle of the day, in the city centre. I also don't look like the kind of person that you'd want to try and steal anything off, i wouldn't hurt a fly though :p

12. theDUB macrumors 6502a

theDUB

13. siorai macrumors 6502

No. Then again I don't walk around holding my iPhone above my head like a torch.

14. aok1975 macrumors 6502

Even if i was lost and I saw someone with the iphone, I would not go and ask them to use their iphone to help me find my way, that kind of rude and intrusive.

15. milani macrumors 68000

milani

I understood what you meant from the on-set. I can't say this happens to me with strangers, but it happens with my friends ALL the time. Hey do you know [insert question here]? No. Oh, hey look it up on your iPhone. It's pretty annoying. I just pass the buck to my friend who has a cased iPhone now. "Use his iPhone, it has a case." He's none to happy about that! :D

16. Randman macrumors 65816

Randman

Dude: Hey man, got a iPhone? I'm lost.

OP: Sure do *flashes iPhone*.

Dude: Outtasight dude. GPS and all dat?

OP: Yep, there's an app for that. Get it?

Dude: But no way to track stolen phone?

OP: Ummm, not that I know of.

Dude: *flashes piece* Outtasight, gimme dat phone.

17. diemos macrumors 6502

18. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

19. Pooshka macrumors 65816

OMG, it happens to me all the time. They are mostly seniors. I don't mind.

20. aok1975 macrumors 6502

So seniors come to you and ask you to "use your iphone to find them directions"? Very strange.

21. shabbado macrumors member

shabbado

This never happened to me cuz I really never have my iPhone out, but I have helped people find places with my iPhone! Yah!

22. Pooshka macrumors 65816

All the time, I'm tellin' ya. Nothing strange.

23. mikeinternet thread starter macrumors 6502a

mikeinternet

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

That's funny. I have a friend who will call me up to ask me to give him directions. Sucks that I have to hang up, check maps and then call back. But like being helpful.

24. Aaleck macrumors 6502a

Aaleck

Yep, happened once in a city downstate. An older couple were looking for directions to the Mackinac Bridge up north, and I showed them the directions with my phone...

25. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

Nope hasn't happened to me. Hell, half the time I forget I have GPS on my
    phone when I'm lost.