Getting strange message from this site, anyone else see this?

Suspended
Original poster
May 1, 2010
California
Over the last few weeks, when I visit MacRumors, I get a popup saying that a virus has been detected and a scan needs to be done.

I close the window and it starts up a second window and starts a scan, so now I shut down the process.

This has been under Win 7 64 IE9 with windows MSE running.

I guess most of you run only the Mac OS, but I run a dual boot setup and need to use Windows right now.

It sounds like one of those 'code injection' things, but I'm no expert.

lightwavejunkie

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2008
Over the last few weeks, when I visit MacRumors, I get a popup saying that a virus has been detected and a scan needs to be done.

I close the window and it starts up a second window and starts a scan, so now I shut down the process.

I guess most of you run only the Mac OS, but I run a dual boot setup and need to use Windows right now.

Sounds like a spyware program to me.

I recommend you download and update the free version of MALWARE BYTES and run a full scan once updated.

If it is a spyware infection, this will likely find and remove it for you.

This is just a precaution.

Do you get the same popup on any other site? or is it JUST macrumors.com?

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001

post a screenshot if you get a chance.

arn

Suspended
Original poster
May 1, 2010
California
Sounds like a spyware program to me.

I recommend you download and update the free version of MALWARE BYTES and run a full scan once updated.

If it is a spyware infection, this will likely find and remove it for you.

This is just a precaution.

Do you get the same popup on any other site? or is it JUST macrumors.com?
RIght now it's just macrumors.com and I haven't booted MacOS in a while, so I don't know if it happens with that OS or not. My guess is it's just a Win7 virus thing.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Sounds like a pop-up ad that "fakes" a Windows Explorer window and makes it look like it's scanning your computer when it's not.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.