Getting teased for using a Mac.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by conch575, Jun 20, 2009.

1. conch575 macrumors 6502

conch575

This is pretty much a rant, by the way.

Has anyone else on here gotten teased for using a Mac? At school, I remember I used to get teased for using a Mac because they had no right click button and couldn't play games. My argument was "I've never had a virus". The thing is, now all these people who were teasing me about having a Mac now use them and think they're "cool" and "arty" by using Mac. They're such hypocrites!!

Have you ever had experiences like this?

2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

You were a techno weenie, you deserved to get teased for using the superior product instead of the one all the lemmings used.

Of course your friends aren't hypocrites, just weak willed lemmings still following the trends and popular products in the marketplace.

You should be sorry for them, and take pride in the fact that the aliens from the Hulu commercials would call their mushy brains ready for consumption.

3. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

You should take solace in the fact that you were simply ahead of your time. Besides, rather than remember the teasing you got (if you are not part of the crowd in any walk of life, you run the risk of being teased for that; groups don't much care for those who differ from them or who choose to differ), focus instead on your wonderful memories of being different, ahead of the posse, and ultimately vindicated in your choice. Be positive about the past where possible.

Cheers and good luck

4. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

5. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

6. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

it is a damn computer.
    its like wearing nike instead of new balance.
    Some swear one is better than the other but if the shoe doesn't fit your needs then why buy it.

7. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Never much cared what other people thought myself
    Of course, it has been a long time since I was a kid in school

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

8. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

And you care why?
    They're just @ssholes who are insecure. They need to tease people, because it makes them think that they have a purpose in life. At least that's what my therapist says.

Don

9. 7seven7 macrumors newbie

There's this fatass in my school who teases me daily about owning a Mac because it can't play games (His computer is a Dell Vostro :eek:)

I just learn to ignore it.

10. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

I just laugh along with whoever is doing it. Kind of unsettles them. :p

11. Queso macrumors G4

LOL. When you get out into the real world you'll realise just what a load of old bull all that stuff was, although be prepared to ever so often think of a random and completely embarrassing memory when you made an arse of yourself. Sadly as teenagers we are obligated to spontaneously do stuff we're later horrified by :)

12. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

I never understand fanboys or people who make jabs at others for using a certain OS. Maybe in a really nerdy tech community it's okay, but it usually seems to be just dorks who make fun.

Anyway Macs are usually white (except lately) and white is a girl color. Therefore you're a wimpy fairy if you use a Mac. If you use a metal, or black Mac you're an idiot for wasting money on such a lame upgrade. Catch 22.

13. doubleohseven macrumors 6502a

doubleohseven

I use the same argument too! :D

Yes, I do get a little 'teased' sometimes because I use a Mac...it's actually kinda funny!

Xbox 360 vs. PS3 arguments with my friends can go a little crazy, though. :rolleyes:

14. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

to give you an idea of a normal, non-geeky school argument for a boy is illustrated by my brother in 9th grade who is 14

whos better?
    1) manning or brady
    2) kobe or lebron
    3) chargers or broncos
    3) gtr or supra twin turbo

they go at it pretty intense too lol

15. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

Just don't worry about it. I work in IT, and with except for one other guy there, I'm the lone Mac guy. I get s*** for it all the time from other people in my department, and for the most part I've learned to ignore it. Simple fact is, people are ignorant. They've never used a Mac, or at best, they used one a long time ago and know nothing about the current state of Apple Computers.

I can't remember if it was here or on another forum, but someone else phrased it in a way that I liked so much that I saved the quote:

Most Windows-based PC owners have never tried a Mac. It's the whole fear of the unknown thing. Why even discuss it? It's kinda like discussing the value of a bath with a 7-year-old.

16. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

I got alot of crap from 2 guys at college right before I switched to mac.

One now uses mac and the other has joined the army :rolleyes:

When you get older you realise it's all really trivial and for people to devote themselves to loving an OS is just sad.

There's a guy at my uni course who's a massive anti mac guy, on a video production course, where using macs accounts for at least 50% of your time... Why pick a course where you're going to be surrounded by machines you hate to use?! I think he failed the course, anyone can tell you, it's pretty hard to fail 1st year of uni...

17. Sideonecincy macrumors 6502

I read the topic title of this as "Getting Tased For Using A Mac"

18. macJC50640 macrumors regular

Meh who cares? Let them get their viruses and other crap you are forced to deal with in a Windows based workstation, while you enjoy your computing on your Mac. I'm sure they know nothing about anything tech related anyway LOL :D

19. Furi Kuri macrumors member

Ah man, it bugs the heck out of me when someone says macs suck because they only have one click button. That has to be among the worst arguments against macs ever.

20. three macrumors 6502a

three

I also hate it when people give random excuses why Macs suck, I normally tell them to get a real answer before saying something.

21. jecapaga macrumors 601

jecapaga

I read this thread title as Getting Tested for Using a Mac

22. OrganMusic macrumors 6502

Yes. In fact you can run all 3 of those at once if you want... Let's see either of the other 2 OSs do that!

I admit to being something of a windows fanboy back when it was WIN95 vs System 7. (coughs) And did my fair share of "teasing" too. But just read my sig now...

23. conch575 thread starter macrumors 6502

conch575

Hahaha. That's heaps funny. I tried not to listen, but it was stupid, I was in 6th grade and just because my parents decided to buy a Mac I was getting teased for it :O But now I have the best computer out of all of them :D Dell vs. MacBook, I win :D:D