Getting the iPhone 5 selling the iPhone 4

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MicroApple, Jul 27, 2010.

1. MicroApple macrumors regular

Yes I'm already thinking about iPhone 5 (you know its going to happen in one year)

Anyways iPhone 5 is not the point of this. I would like to know this (as I have never owned an iPhone before this) since AT&T requires 18 months before the subsidized price do they have any special program for you to forfeit your iPhone 4 and get the next iPhone subsidized?

If not, then how do most of you go about when a new iPhone comes out. What is the procedure? Seems like eBay gets the most money about 200-350 at most though for a used one (that is what the iPhone 3GS is selling right now).

So here is what the next iPhone will cost (I'm just assuming and asking now just so I can have some idea of what I will be in for when selling it):
    iPhone 5 will be 199$ subsidized within 18 months of your contract (Once again I don't know just speculating), but since I will not be (iPhone comes out around every 12 months) I will pay the early upgrade fee of $18 and pay 399 for the iPhone coming out to $450 with taxes.

What you'll get for selling the iPhone 4 on ebay is around 200-350 as I said so I was just wondering if their is anything you guys do when the new iPhones come out to cover the costs of the new one fully if possible. I see that unlocking your iPhone raises it's value. (If you guys unlock how much do you pay for it and can you unlock without jailbreaking or do they go hand in hand) Just wondering. Once again nothing about the iPhone 5 or prices are real I am just WONDERING. Don't want anyone to take this the wrong way. :rolleyes:

2. Russiaone macrumors 6502

$200 dollars for an iPhone 4? Hell, even with the whole all about nothing antenna issue I'm planning on seeing at least $600 for mine come June 2011, inshallah nothing happens to my phone or me

3. MicroApple thread starter macrumors regular

Look at this though, nothing happens to my phones either:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Apple-iphone-3G...d=ViewItem&pt=Cell_Phones&hash=item3a5d12c587

that thing is only selling for 275 used, and like i said max is 350.

4. BadMoon macrumors 6502

5. MicroApple thread starter macrumors regular

I know :p But when I sell my iPhone 4 it will be around a year old so a iPhone 3gs is COMPARABLE.

6. nyisles84 macrumors regular

7. MicroApple thread starter macrumors regular

Care to share? :D

On ebay I'm only seeing 350 so I'd like to hear how you did it. Were they used/unlocked/jailbroken?

8. nyisles84 macrumors regular

All used but in pristine condition. All were in cases with screen protectors from day 1. I sold them unlocked, with all the original accessories and boxes. Minus the headphones cause that's just kind of gross :)

9. MicroApple thread starter macrumors regular

Cool, that gives me hope to sell my iPhone 4 for 450 next year and completely pay off my new iPhone. :cool: haha

10. ToroidalZeus macrumors 68020

ToroidalZeus

It's all about the timing. If you sell it in may, you can easily get 600 dollars, if you sell in in July, its a bit more then half that.

11. MicroApple thread starter macrumors regular

Thats risky you never know if the iPhone 5 is actually coming out or not sadly.

12. wrkactjob macrumors 65816

wrkactjob

IP4 will in 12 months be the turkey of eBay.

Even kids will know that IP4 is the iPhone NOT to buy.

Expect to see Buy It Now for 99p BOGOF.

Really the phone will be considered a joke in time to come.

13. rKunda macrumors 65816

rKunda

Yeah sure. Take this guy's word for it. Smart.

14. Roy Hobbs macrumors 68000

Roy Hobbs

15. maddux2005 macrumors 6502

The iPhone 5 WILL come out next June/July. It's like clockwork for apple. Especially now that android is on the rise. Apple can't afford not to release it. They can't go 2 years with no phone. No worries. It will release. It's also best to sell in may. Waiting until WWDC will decrease the value BIG TIME

16. Givmeabrek macrumors 68040

Givmeabrek

17. Tarzanman macrumors 65816

I am going to get in my DeLorean and travel to 2014 to get the ipHone LTE-3 running android 7.3

That is my prediction. Apple will stop fighting with google and they will both collaborate to compete with facebook and sell your private data to other corporate interests.

You heard it here first!

18. Pez555 macrumors 68020

Pez555

haha OP fail, the iPhone he linked sold for $510.

200-350 my ass

19. bunnicula macrumors 68040

bunnicula

I never sell mine until I have a new phone in hand.

That said, if you get the new phone on launch day, then immediately throw your old phone up on Craigslist, you can usually make all your money back (plus extra, sometimes).

That's how I do it. And a good thing, too, considering the whole white iPhone debacle this year. I still have my trusty white 3GS to hold me over until I give in and buy a black iP4.

20. Simm0nS777 macrumors 6502a

Im gonna try and sell my 3GS on craigslist. How do you go about it? Do you put a specific price or just take offers?

21. Simm0nS777 macrumors 6502a

Im just worried to put it on ebay after seeing all these people getting scammed.

22. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

Jailbreaking and unlocking can easily get you around $450 for a 32GB 3GS now and the iPhone 4 around this time next year.

Many of us do a upgrade swap using a family member's dumbphone line every other year in order to get the fully subsidized price (if they need a new dumbphone just pay full price for one as it's cheap enough). Some of us paying over $99 per month (usually the primary line on a family plan) get to upgrade yearly at full discount.

23. ratbatblue macrumors 6502

Good Luck

I'm planning on keeping the iPhone 4 for the entire 2-year contract and picking up AppleCare for it around the 10-month point. It's working fine so far, as long as I keep a bumper/case on it, but I figure that even if it works flawlessly until the day in 2012 that I buy the LTE iPhone, it won't sell for squat as a used phone at any point in time.

Turn the clock ahead a year. Would you pay top dollar for this thing, used, knowing what you know about it? IMHO, unless Apple does something truly "magical" with this model and its problems, it will become the turd of the iPhone line and everyone will just want to get rid of it as soon as they can.

Please keep in mind that this is my OPINION, and that I did not say that used iPhone 4's won't sell at all. I just don't see them bringing in big bucks, as we've seen with earlier models.

24. UCLAKoolman macrumors 6502a

With your logic why is the 3GS still selling well on ebay? That phone had only minor hardware updates from the 3G and also had a renowned dropped call problem, both of which were almost a slap in the face to those expecting a decent upgrade last year. Compared to the iPhone 4, the 3GS has a far inferior screen, inferior camera w/o flash, no front facing camera, slower processor, and a larger, plastic design. And despite the antenna controversy, numerous sources report the iPhone 4 drops far fewer calls. And still, after the iPhone 4 release the 3GS is selling for $250-$350 (or $500 in reference to the ebay link above LOL).

25. UCLAKoolman macrumors 6502a

I noticed that too, very funny.