Getting the itch again...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rockitdog, Dec 2, 2013.

1. rockitdog macrumors 68020

Over the past few months I've found myself in the company of both an S4 and Nexus 5 and slowly, that iOS/ iPhone itch is coming back. Seems no matter how hard I try to fight it, I just can't shake it. I miss the simplicity and smoothness... Like having a nice big screen but I miss the cool feel of an iPhone when you pick it up first thing in the morning... ugh! Damn you iPhone, I can't quit you!!! :apple:

2. chestvrg macrumors 65816

chestvrg

Same here, I have walked in the path of android too and have always end up to an iPhone. Take into account also that iTunes is so integrated into the iPhone and other phones OS don't have that option.

3. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I've manage to kill iTunes dead, dead, dead by jailbreaking! :D

The last time I synced with iTunes was maybe March or so. Good riddance! :)

4. chestvrg macrumors 65816

chestvrg

How do you sync your music then, like new songs for example and backup?

5. rockitdog thread starter macrumors 68020

With all of the different streaming options, I keep very few songs on my iPhone if any at all. I either listen to Pandora or SiriusXM. No need for any other music for me.

6. chestvrg macrumors 65816

chestvrg

Oh ok I see like Netflix for movies and pandora for music I see.

7. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

All my music is in Google Play. I do use iTunes on one of my Macs and it automatically uploads to Google Play whenever I add new songs.

I just use the new Google Play app to stream whenever I wish. There are other Google Play apps in the app store though. 10GB+ in the cloud and none of it on my iPhone.

Cydia has two apps called Bolt and Bridge. Both apps will automatically file ringtones and music in the appropriate location and update the phone databases, but Bridge will also go one further and file video in the Videos app, which I prefer. I don't understand the reasoning for having video in the camera roll.

8. nickipee macrumors newbie

what if you run out of data, or aren't within network range?

:D

9. AppleTech22 macrumors 6502

I switched from the iPhone 5S Gold to the Nexus 5, looked pretty neat so I thought I'd try it out. Turns out, Android still has the same problems it had when I switched from my 4S to the S3, and ultimately ended up with the iPhone 5. Now I'm happily back on my Gold 5S.
    True dealbreakers include:
    1. Battery- Gotten better, but it still comes nowhere close to what I get on the iPhone
    2. Charging Time- iPhone 5 gets a full charge in less than 45 mins, the android phones I've tried take 1.5+ hours to get in the 90s
    3. Ease of use- It's true that nothing is as seemless and fluid as iOS, I've tried launchers, stock, and samsung skins. Doesn't come close..
    4. Durability- I've got insurance, but still I've dropped plenty of iPhones and never broke any myself. Also dropped a few galaxy's and my friend dropped his nexus, all shattered the first time.
    5. iMessage and emoji's- It's actually a HUGE thing for teens users..
    6. Camera- The Nexus camera was, well, ****** to be honest. Doesn't even come close to the iPhone. When looking at other phones such as the galaxy, the camera apps are awful. Not as simple and useful as the iPhone. The built in slow motion on the 5S is a bonus, can actually make some really cool ****!

There's probably workarounds for some of these problems, but why waste time doing that when you don't really gain anything as a normal user from android over iOS?

10. yui4 macrumors 6502

I scratched the itch

I've been using android for the past year after being bored with the iphone, most recently I got the nexus 5

I'm now on a space grey 5s and it feels nice to be back, a bonus is that for the first time in a year I can hardly feel my phone in my pocket!!:)

11. phositadc macrumors 6502

I find that no matter whether I'm using iOS or android, I always feel drawn to the one I'm NOT currently using. Right now I'm on my 5s and enjoying it. I bet within in a week I'm back on my Moto X. It's a disease. I need help.

12. Jinzen macrumors 6502

I use my iPhone a lot, but really just as a tool. Take pics, check important things like email, news, text, call, FaceTime, schedule appointments, buy tickets, ... do things with.

Each and every time I get an Android device I realize how crappy every single experience really is. The bigger screen size is a nice wow factor at first, but ultimately is pointless. Flipboard is awful, touch swiping and sensitivity, battery life and screen brightness adjustments... it just doesn't work or as well. It really doesn't surprise me that the top Android App purchases in the Play Store are all designed to try and fix... Android.

----------

Returned my Moto X. Flipboard was unusable. Google Maps bogged down (CPU was slow as a dog) when trying to execute directions quickly. Active Notifications are cool but the device was flagship software on mid-end hardware - unacceptable Motorola/Google.

Next time, maybe they'll have a legitimate iPhone competitor.

13. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

:D!

Won't happen. :)

I'm on Sprint with an Unlimited Data plan and I live in a Sprint market that has LTE. Sprint does not throttle and I'm on one of the older Everything Data plans (which Sprint has replaced with the All In and My Way plans this year) that does not reduce video quality after 1GB.. Further, of the three places I frequent (home, work and Starbucks) there is also WiFi.

Last month I had over 9GB of use. No worries. ;)

14. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

My biggest problem with Android phones is the still unfinished kiddie look of the OS. Android has icons everywhere for everything and none of them have ever looked very attractive at all to me.

I prefer a minimalist look on my screen and all this crap that Android displays everywhere is just not a look for me. I realize things can be modified (it's Android after all), but it's just never appealed to me. Even when my regular phone was an old Windows Mobile Pro 6.1 phone.

Some of the phones themselves are attractive, but I just find Android boring and annoying.

15. Ajones330 macrumors 6502a

Ajones330

I carry a Note 2 for work and everyday that I have to do normal functions like text makes me love my iPhone even more. Android is just not fluid as iOS which is the big deal breaker for me...

16. Scarpad macrumors 68000

Scarpad

I went to an S4 from an Iphone 5 and I will be doing the same at some point, when I'm eligible to upgrade, but I may just wait to see what they do with either an Iphone 6 or a larger sized Iphone, A 4.8 to 5 inch model would be perfect

----------

The battery on my S4 is abysmal really bad

17. wgr73 macrumors 6502a

wgr73

Came to this thread to quote this man for truth. Had a Note 2 and got rid of it for this reason ;)

18. JackieInCo macrumors 601

It just feels right to have a new iPhone again. I had bought a new 4S back in January. After a few weeks, I got a Nexus 4 for free through T-Mobile on a two year contract. I cancelled the contract a month later and paid the $115 ETF they charged me and kept using T-Mobile. A week after buying the Nexus 4, I got a Nexus 7 thinking it could be an iPad replacement. Was I wrong!

I kept wishing I would have bought an iPad and instead of the 4S, an iPhone 5.

I found myself using the 4S half the time because the Nexus 4 was just too quirky. It would turn itself on in my pocket and set alarms and timers and run down the battery before I felt the heat and turned if off.

Finally in June, I felt confident enough that I could finally use part of my tax refund check and bought a 43GB AT&T Mini. That was the best decision I had ever made. When the new Nexus 7 came out, I didn't even want it. Nothing they can add in it can replace my Mini.

Not to mention that I have several thousand TV show episodes that I have bought in iTunes along with several hundred movies and I can have all of them with me on any device at any time.

Then a week and a half ago, I bought a 5S. I am so happy to finally be back with all iOS devices. I still have the Nexus 4/7 but I rarely use them.

I had every iPhone but skipped the 5. Can't wait to see what Apple does next!

19. DownByFive macrumors newbie

I switched from a 3G to the original Droid...did that for about a year until the 4 gave me an itch I had to scratch. Did that for two years and went back to Android to get the "big phone" experience with an HTC OneX and a Nexus4. Those were okay, but the pull of the 5S was just too much to ignore (particularly the camera) and now I'm happily back in the iPhone camp. While I like the idea of Android, I just don't enjoy using it and I've never loved any of the Android devices I've had. I even find myself ignoring my Nexus 7 and using my 5S just because the iPhone hardware is nicer and the software experience is better, particularly using apps like Chrome, which is laggy as hell on Android...and every time I see the size and resolution-mismatched icons on my N7 home screen, I cry a little.

20. thegrants82 macrumors 65816

I have a 5S and a N5. I went from a Moto X to the N5. Android in my opinion is very nice but still behind IOS. Not a big N5 fan because it's a huge handset but man that Moto X felt really good in my hand. Best feeling phone that I have ever had. Android is close.....oh so very close to beating out IOS, but not yet.

21. studIOS5 macrumors 6502a

studIOS5

Ah the itch. It's a terrible thing I tell you. I currently have a 5c, but not because I decided I wanted it over a 5s, but because I'm addicted to trading phones. I'm constantly perusing craigslist for people making trades that aren't in their favor haha. I went from a 32gb 5 (sold it and pocketed the difference) to a droid dna, to a brand new htc 8x, to a samsung galaxy s3, to an iPhone 4S (wanted to try iOS 7), to the real kicker, someone traded me an s4 for my IPhone 4S. That's when I sold the s4 and ended up nabbing a brand new iPhone 5c off craigslist for the same money I sold the s4 for. I'm mad I tell you just mad lol. :apple: but I always come back to apple, probably has something to do with my 40gbs of music on iTunes and the ability to use iTunes Match.

22. thehustleman macrumors 65816

I went the other way.

I came back to android.

I've had an iPhone 3gs and loved it until I learned that there were alternatives.

I'd gotten the Evo 4g but it had issues with the battery life and it just wasn't as fluid. Thought I'd never leave iPhone.

I'd gotten the iPhone 4 but antenna gate irritated me because I kept losing my call and the fan boys keep telling it isn't a real issue. I showed it on a YouTube video and showed that it really did exist and was an issue, but I traded that in, got the 4s.

Improved definitely.

Then I tried the galaxy s III and that did it. Android had finally gotten to where it needed to be. It took a few weeks to realize it though, I hated android at first but learned to love it.

I got curious again, found a 5 for a great deal and got that. I wasn't impressed. It felt like I was taking a major step backwards.

Went back to the S3 and I've been happy since.

Spent a week with a 5s and I still wasn't impressed, it's a huge step down from android. They need to improve that keyboard.

Next phone om getting is either the nexus 5 or the galaxy Note 3.

23. JackieInCo macrumors 601

I tried listing my Nexus 4 on Craigslist for about the same price that others were listed. Not one email even offering a lower price, no one was interested in seven days.

I tried listing my Nexus 7 32GB cellular tablet on CL. I believe I got two lowball offers wanting to pay $150 for it.

I tried listing my 16GB unlocked 4S on CL and got probably 50 offers in one week. So many offers that I edited the ad and upped the price.

I also listed my 32GB AT&T iPad Mini and had about 20 offers.

Amazing that no one was really interested in the Nexus devices.

24. mazer75 macrumors newbie

Can you explain why you went from Moto X to Nexus 5? Just for KitKat or the high ppi screen?

I have gone back and forth between iOS and Android myself. First smartphone was an iPhone 3G, then I had a Droid X, then Galaxy S3. I purchased an iPhone 5s but returned it due to the noisy sleep/wake button (I am nuts, I know), and reactivatd the S3.

Now I'm considering the Moto X because I can stay on Verizon. If Verizon would allow the Nexus 5 I would mabye try that out as well.

But I'm also thinking of getting another iPhone, and hopefully getting one with no hardware issues. I really want the battery life and camera.

My perfect phone would be KitKat running on 5s hardware :)

25. Hustler1337 macrumors 68000

Hustler1337

Don't you mean the other way round?

If anything, iOS 7 has 'kiddie'/kindergarten-type look with those icons than Android - it was one of the main complaints of iOS 7! It makes the OS look more like a child's toy with those icons. + iOS 7 seems more congested and less simplistic than Android because of the great wall of apps you generally see on the home screens.

Bottom line is, it's down to personal preference. :)