Getting to Know Your New iPhone X - What's Different

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 25, 2017.

1. Defactomonkey macrumors member

This is the first iPhone model I won’t be getting since my initial iPhone 3G. I just haven’t been excited by apple’s form of innovation in a long time. No attempt to troll or start a debate just been followIng this site a long time and walking away now.

2. tridley68, Dec 25, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 25, 2017

tridley68 macrumors 6502

tridley68

I love my I phone X but very eager to get the X plus next year

3. doelcm82 macrumors 68040

doelcm82

I upgraded from an iPhone 6+. I’d do it again in a heartbeat. The iPhone X has all the new features I missed out on by skipping the 6s and the 7, plus the new ones described above.

4. roblesjant macrumors newbie

does anyone know why my iphone x keeps deleting the letters when i search for a contact to send a new text?

5. daniesy macrumors regular

daniesy

You should tell everybody that once iOS 12 will come out (in 10 months), their brand new iPhone X will be useless. Just to know what to expect, you know?

6. C DM macrumors Westmere

Will power management throttling apply to the X as soon as iOS 12 comes out? Will all, most, or even anything remotely close to majority will be affected in some way by that throttling? Will it really make the device useless for some that would be affected?

7. daniesy macrumors regular

daniesy

Well it had been applied to the iPhone 7 already. This is what happens when you're using crappy cheap batteries.

8. jerry333 macrumors regular

jerry333

I've had mine for a couple of weeks now and when I went to use an older iPhone, I couldn't get used to the home button--even though I had used the home button since inception. I agree that the bar is unnecessary after the first couple of days. Perhaps it should just go away after X hours of use.

9. BritishApple macrumors regular

“Significantly ramped up production” or maybe people aren’t being gullible enough to fall for a £300 price hike that isn’t justified.

I hope those with X’s enjoy them but I “thank you” all for sending Apple the message that £1000 as an entry level price for the latest and greatest iPhone is acceptable.

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Its you, I do enjoy the edge to edge display.

11. xenthius macrumors newbie

“If you’re coming from an iPhone 8 or later...” there’s nothing later than the 8. Adjusting from earlier iPhones will be difficult, but later iPhones, not sure what she means here.

12. Sy7ygy macrumors 6502

You do not see a pattern developing there..

Terrible device.

13. plexdk macrumors 6502

Indeed. Just used my old 7 today. It felt like that past. Heck, even the iPad feels kinda last gen now.

14. C DM macrumors Westmere

So is that a "no" to all those questions then?

15. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

This is oddest comment in a thread full of odd comments. I suppose some sort of congratulations are in order.

16. bbzzz macrumors newbie

Lack of the home button appears to compromise accessibility mode (double click of home button, in my case I have it to set to invert colours, sometimes smart invert but it's not very smart in safari). The virtual home button on screen is a poor replacement, perhaps I've missed a better way to access accessibility?

I'd prefer a plastic back rather than glass, that side gets all the impacts while in my pocket. Otherwise the X seems quite good

And general IOS whinge - having to use settings to turn wifi on/off is getting really annoying, I got fed up of it continually turning itself on and causing internet access to fail (every time I use it and several times during a train journey) while it was trying to join wifi APs or keep popping up asking if I want to join this one.

Likewise it turning on every morning and running the battery down trying to connect to stuff I don't need it to. If Apple want to keep turning it on at least don't block access by trying to use it instead of LTE unless the wifi has connectivity. And fit a larger battery.

17. nickcliborne macrumors regular

To bring up Apple Pay just double click the side button. No need to get it near a contactless screen first.

18. JediZenMaster Suspended

JediZenMaster

I’m loving my iPhone. It’s the perfect phone in my eyes notch included.

I have not had this level of excitement since the original iPhone was launched

19. Sill macrumors 6502a

I haven't bought an X yet, because I haven't found a good case. When I do, I have one question that seems appropriate in this "new user gets used to it" thread:

I will be setting up my new X to use a PIN. Has anyone here done this, and if so could you please post any details on how different it is from using a PIN with a "home button" iPhone? I already know I can't wake the phone with the home button, so I have to start using the side button. Anything else I'd need to know?

20. laurim macrumors 68000

laurim

I agree. I kept my 6S to keep by my bed and using the Touch ID button seems archaic already

21. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

You don't need to press the side button to wake the phone; turn on the "raise to wake" option and you will rarely have to press the side button for that purpose. It is on by default.

Not sure what you mean by setting it up to use a PIN. The X will require a passcode as a backup for FaceID, same as with the prior models with TouchID.

If you prefer minimalist cases that provide some protection and grip without fundamentally altering the appearance of the phone, I can recommend the Sahara Crystal Clear.

https://saharacase.com/products/apple-cases/iphone-x/iphone-x-clear-kit-crystal

22. skorpeon macrumors newbie

may I ask what was the feature that made you upgrade to your current 6?
    --- Post Merged, Dec 27, 2017 ---
    very awkward when people complain about the notch but nobody complains about the Samsung,, edge to edge'' notch =D

23. WhiteHawk macrumors 6502

You have to set a passcode as a backup if you use Touch ID and the same is true of Face ID.

You still have three ways of waking the phone with the X, raise to wake, press side button, and instead of pressing the home button you can now tap anywhere on the screen with the X and that wakes it also.

24. tridley68 macrumors 6502

tridley68

I have have these two cases and they seem to still keep the phone thin and provide some protection the urban armor case claims to be impact and damage resistant.
    Urban Armor Gear - Plasma Series
    Apple - iPhone® X Leather Case - Midnight Blue

25. bwintx macrumors 6502

bwintx

Got my X yesterday, and case and wireless charger today (the latter two third-party and quite reasonably priced, but well-rated on Amazon). I can't find much in Gruber's take with which I disagree:
    https://daringfireball.net/2017/12/the_iphone_x