Getting to Know Your New iPhone X - What's Different

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 25, 2017.

1. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I don't disagree with Gruber so much as he wears me out. As usual he can't resist overstating his case. If he was looking for an analogy, he might have considered the many other times Apple has added by subtraction (floppy disc, optical drive, serial ports). Each time resulted in much wailing and moaning that was quickly forgotten, until the next time. The situation is little different with the iPhone X. Apple hasn't broken from the past in a radical way so much as made a few incremental changes. They may disorient or even annoy longtime users for awhile, but they aren't half as important as Gruber makes them out.

2. Sill macrumors 6502a

I have my 6s set up to use a PIN, no TouchID, and if I get the X, I'll set it up to use a PIN, no FaceID. I'd like PIN access for the X to be consistent with my experience on the 6s.

Thanks for the recommendation, but I need a much more substantial case.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 27, 2017 ---
    Thats what I needed. Thanks.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 27, 2017 ---
    I can't use a leather case. The work I do, it would be destroyed within a few hours. That Plasma case looks phenomenally cool. Does it come with an integrated screen protector and a belt clip?

In my shopping I came across the Ghostek Nautical, which is shockproof and has an integrated, sealed screen protector so its also waterproof - a big plus for me - but they don't offer a belt clip for it. Instead, they sell a clip on they Amazon store which is obviously generic. I thought about taking a chance on the case and seeing if my Otterbox Defender clip from my 6s would work, since the X with a shell might be close to the same dimensions.

3. radiology macrumors 6502

radiology

Bigger screen and bigger battery (compared to my previous 5).

4. tridley68 macrumors 6502

tridley68

no screen protector with the Plasma case but i was able to pick up a full screen covered Tempered glass protector on Ebay for $10 you could also try Elementcase.com they have several cases but are a bit pricey.

5. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Out of curiosity, why no TouchID or FaceID?

6. Sill, Dec 28, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2017

Sill macrumors 6502a

From a personal security POV, recent court cases have affirmed that a person can't be coerced into providing a PIN, but can be legally compelled to provide fingerprints to authorize search of a cell phone. The rationale behind the compulsion was that a person leaves fingerprints on almost everything they touch, so fingerprints are nearly public domain. I would expect that to extend to FaceID; since a person's face is available to view by the general public, they can be required to "look at" the phone and unlock it.
    A PIN is considered an utterance, basically testimony. It can't be compelled.

From a privacy POV, I don't want to participate in that. I also don't trust that Apple or any other company will keep such biometric ID away from the government. I also don't want to buy in to a system that is conditioning people to give such things freely. I see where the road is heading, and it looks an awful lot like 1984 meets Minority Report (the movie, not the PKD short story).

I should also mention that I've posted up numerous times about how I cover the cameras on my phones. Since I'll have the front camera obscured, FaceID wouldn't work even if I wanted it to.

And, since I've become accustomed to your responses to my posts, let me fill this one in for you: "Bye Bye".

Right?

7. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I asked the question out of sincere curiosity, and didn't recall at the time having responding to any your posts previously. But thanks for adding the knee-jerk insult. I hope it made you feel better about something.