Getting used to the Plus

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mikethebigo, Sep 20, 2014.

1. mikethebigo macrumors 68000

So I know a lot of people said this would happen but it's still interesting to experience. Yesterday, the plus just seemed too big, unwieldy, and not portable enough.

But today, the size is starting to seem reasonable and I'm finding the phone much more useful for Internet, videos, and games... And I'm getting used to using it one handed (which takes adjustment but I'm getting there!)

Anyone else finding their plus experience is improving with time?

2. JTravers macrumors 6502a

Getting used to the Plus

Definitely agree. In the half a day I've been using it so far, I'm already beginning to get more comfortable with it. When I first started using it, I was sure I'd have to exchange it for a 6. I don't think I'll have to do that now.

3. neoJeets macrumors newbie

Yeah. I think any new device with different dimensions takes some time to get used to. Its all a matter of your hands adjusting to it and your body creating some muscle memory. Still experimenting with different hand positions in different situations (standing, sitting, lying back on couch/bed,etc) but its getting better I think.

4. xxMACxx macrumors regular

I'm loving it... obviously second guessed myself over the past week with all the talk, but I'm glad I got the +. I was concerned my wife might regret it, but she is also quite happy with it. It's a beautiful phone.

5. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

I love it. It feels like I need my iPad less. That is important to me.

6. mikethebigo thread starter macrumors 68000

Are you finding you're getting better with one handed use or are you just getting more accustomed to two handed use?

7. JTravers macrumors 6502a

I'm definitely getting better with one handed use, but it can get a little cumbersome if you aren't used to it. Using the Swype or SwiftKey keyboards makes things easier. I've also been trying to use the double tap gesture for reachability more, and that has helped. But I find I just end up using certain apps one-handed and others two-handed depending on how they are designed. It's a little bit of a compromise but is worth it for the larger screen and better battery life, IMO.

8. rican macrumors 6502

rican

I feel like i'm a pro w/ my 6+ already. I have formulated my own "hand language" with it in how I hold it while texting, watching videos, and on the phone. LOVE IT.

9. Raffi macrumors 6502a

Raffi

Mine still feels big but its what I want and I will deal with the size easily. Walking while looking down at my screen holding a caramel macchiato is now a thing of the past though.

10. iphone5att64 macrumors 6502

I can't do as much with one hand while brushing my teeth. It takes longer to do things with longer swipes and getting a good hold of the phone with both hands. I don't have a iPad mini, but I assume it the same. At least Lebron can switch now.

11. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

One handed still a problem, easier not to. But it is much, much better after I put a case on it today (Apple leather). Way easier and more confident to handle with case, and it solves the protruding lens problem at the same time.

12. iphone5att64 macrumors 6502

13. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

Personally, I was considering a 6+ before launch. I printed out templates and all that stuff to try and get an idea on how big it actually was. Then on the night before launch I was camping at my local Apple Store like I do every year and one of the guys had cases for both the 6 and 6+ that he had ordered to get a "real" feel for size. It was at that moment I realized just how huge the + was. And it also showed me how much bigger the 4.7 was compared to the 5. I instantly changed my mind and decided on the regular 6. And I am so glad I did. The 6+ is just too big. Obviously this is just my personal preference, but I think the 6 is just the right size. And even at 4.7 it takes a bit of getting used to coming from nothing but iPhones since 07. I think the + is terribly and awkwardly huge, and too cumbersome. I am so glad I changed my mind. I definitely made the right choice for myself. I'm also glad u guys are happy with the +. But I'm really happy that Apple has finally decided to give some choice to its customers when it comes to iphone. We all win.

14. McPc macrumors 6502

McPc

+1 I'm getting more comfortable using the phone one-handed, though i find myself using my fingers to move the phone up or down while balancing it on the top of my hand.

A case makes it much easier to move the phone to reposition my grip though I'm not sure if I'm developing a bad habit as I suspect it could easily fall out of my hand if moving about or not paying enough attention.

15. MentalFloss macrumors 6502a

MentalFloss

For me, it's completely fine. Even one-handed use is not a big issue. The only problem I have is that I am somewhat scared of dropping the phone when I pull it out of my back pocket, as it is a bit more difficult to grasp it tightly. Sooner or later, I'll figure out the best technique.

But the additional screen real estate is quite useful. Editing movies with iMovie is wonderful now, because the video preview above the timeline is big enough now to actually see details. Asphalt 8 looks just amazing with the big screen. It has also been great for games with on-screen controls (Goat Simulator FTW!), because the fingers block a smaller portion of the screen. The HD videos I take with the phone look absolutely gorgeous on the big screen. Sorry if I am beginning to sound like an Apple keynote, but it's even better than I had expected.

And the battery life is great as well. Left the phone with a 98% charge at night. Picked it up in the morning with 97% remaining.

16. bgro macrumors 6502a

Definitely takes some getting used too but after almost two days of usage I don't think I could go back to a smaller screen. The plus fits in my pocket just fine and I can use it somewhat onehanded. I do however take advantage of Siri and voice texting a lot which really cute down in my one handed usage

17. MentalFloss macrumors 6502a

MentalFloss

Yep, one part of my decision to go for the 6 Plus was the purchase of Bluetooth headphones. I used to carry my 4S in my chest pocket while listening to music on my walk to/from work. The 6 Plus on the other hand will go to my back pocket or backpack, and I will use Siri to control my music, send/receive messages, etc. via the Bluetooth headphones.

18. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

Pretty much anything to do with video is amazing on the 6 Plus, from watching Mad Men on Netflix, to shooting with probably the world's best viewfinder, to sorting and editing footage.

19. CarboysDesire macrumors 6502a

CarboysDesire

I'm getting used to it very quickly…EXCEPT, the on/off switch being on the side GRRRRRRR! :confused: :eek: :) :D

20. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

You turn your iPhone off?

21. CarboysDesire macrumors 6502a

CarboysDesire

Not all the way off…just the screen when I'm done, yes. Religiously.

22. McBeats macrumors 6502a

While I love the new device, I am finding trouble every now and then holding it for long periods of time, and with the silicone case its tough to put back into my pocket at times.

Taking it on a bike workout, it was rather safe in my pant/short pockets, but the taking in-and-out of pockets makes it kind of a PITA, but it's assurance that it wont fly out of my pocket easily, so good n bad.

Overall, I'll get used to it I'm sure, the phablet feel is here to stay for me.

23. Nurse Jill macrumors member

Nurse Jill

oh i love it... it is so nice to view websites and forums... read through text messages... and i love the landscape where it has the two panel view for email/messaging. i am on my phone way too much and im glad i invested in this size.

when i went to the mall to find a case everyone was like how did you get that??? i was like welp i woke up at 2am to preorder last week :rolleyes: i have gotten comments saying "THAT PHONE IS HUGE!!!" and i just laugh. i think how thin the phone is makes it so much better. i dont know how i could ever go to a smaller screen.

24. loskickking23 macrumors 6502a

I'm a lot better with it today.... I'm really loving the 6 plus :D

25. teamjaycub macrumors 6502

I don't think I'll ever get used to it. Likely to exchange it for a 6 in Sunday or Monday.