Getting windows viruses off Mac OS X

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jadasneez, Jan 6, 2011.

1. jadasneez macrumors newbie

Hi im running OS X and own several external hard drives, some of which are infected with windows viruses. This obviously is not a problem for my mac but i would like be able to use the hard drives interchangeably between mac and pc and my pc being as old as it is, it probably isn't a good idea to let it find the viruses itself.

I am wondering if there is an anti virus for mac (preferably free) that can detect and delete/quarantine these inactive windows viruses.

thank you, any help will be appreciated

2. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

How do you know they are infected by windows viruses? If you went to a website that told you this, then it is 99% a scam that will try to scare you into buying some worthless software.

3. RRmalvado macrumors 6502

He may not want to infect his PC as he clearly states in the original posting... did you read it?

jadasneez, you can try Sophos (free for home use) or Kaspersky.

4. old-wiz macrumors G3

Gnasher can be right - you can easily get a scam website that says your external drives have viruses and you need to download their product to remove them. I remember the first time I saw one - it said my C: drive had 47 viruses and my D: drive had more. This on a Mac. ha

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

ClamXav

6. jadasneez thread starter macrumors newbie

thank you RRmalvado and GGJstudios, and the viruses where recognized on a scan by my friends pc