Gevey Turbo Sim

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Frenchjay, May 9, 2011.

1. Frenchjay macrumors 68000

Frenchjay

Ok guys i have a some questions regarding this hardware hack for the iphone4.

1.If i am on a Vodafone uk contract sim and i want to use a pre-paid sim will this work?

2.Will this work for 4.3.3 and do all the Gevey sims work for iphone and 4.3.3 or is it a specific one?

3.Is it possible Apple could release an update that would render this unusable?

I want to ask people in the uk with any experience with this in particular. Have you had any problems with connectivity and loss of 3g?

Thanks!

2. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Are you currently using your iPhone in the UK on a Vodafone contract? If you are, they will unlock it for you for free and it will work with any sim (contract or PAYG) from O2, Vodafone, 3, T-Mobile, Tesco, etc,etc

3. Frenchjay thread starter macrumors 68000

Frenchjay

Yes i'm in the uk and currently using a Vodafone contract sim.
    Will they unlock it even though the contract is not finished? Thanks for the quick reply. :)

4. Frenchjay thread starter macrumors 68000

Frenchjay

Anyone else have any experience with these unlock sims?:confused:

5. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

I believe they will (you still have to complete your contract though)

See the form here

6. italeki macrumors regular

My iPhone 4 is unlocked with the Gevey. My phone works great with it. The only problem with it is when the signal drops for whatever reason, I have to re-configure it to connect back again.

7. Frenchjay thread starter macrumors 68000

Frenchjay

Would you say it is less stable than a regular sim? I want to get one because I think it will be more attractive to buyers when I come to sell my ip4 for the ip5. Also I don't want to take my contract sim abroad and incur any charges. I would rather pre load the amount onto the sim and know when I'm close to running out of credit.

I'm thinking of buying a turbo sim in the next few days just to try it out. They are on eBay from trusted sellers for 6£!

8. bbmiLo macrumors regular

I wrote a short review awhile back, you can take a look:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1146283&highlight=

In short, it works great for me, both on China Mobile in China and T-mobile in USA. I never had to redo the unlocking process if I drop signal, it automatically finds it and reconnects.
    I know for a fact it works for 4.3.1 and 4.3.2, don't know about 4.3.3.
    Apple does have the ability to close the loophole with an upgrade, so you need to be very cautious with IOS upgrading.

9. Frenchjay, May 9, 2011
    Last edited: May 9, 2011

Frenchjay thread starter macrumors 68000

Frenchjay

Thanks! This is what I needed to know. This site says the sim supports 4.3.3 which I'm on now.

http://www.unlockaniphone.org/

I remember sims like this available on the 3GS and apple never closed it down.

10. Frenchjay thread starter macrumors 68000

Frenchjay

I'm a bit confused on which one to buy too. eBay listings are claiming only the pro sim wil work with 4.33 which is more expensive than the other ones.

11. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

nevermind.

12. sou1 so1di3r macrumors 6502a

sou1 so1di3r

I would love more info on this if anyone is using this in the UK or around mainland Europe!

I currently have a contracted iPhone in the US with AT&T but will be spending 2 months on London and around Europe for study abroad term this fall, and have been looking into any possible way to be able to use my iPhone over there. I don't really want to jailbreak (nor do I know how) and my iOS (4.3.3) and Modem Firmware (4.10) wouldn't work with jailbreaking.

If these seems like a possible solution, I would just buy this guy and then get a pre-paid sim somewhere in the UK which I'm assuming is pretty easy to do?

Do they also offer data plans with pre paid or PAYG sim cards in the UK?

Thanks!:D

13. Frenchjay thread starter macrumors 68000

Frenchjay

Yeah it's easy to get a micro sim. You can walk into the carrier store and get one really easy. O2 have great deals on pre pay. I think for 15£ you get 500 mins 1000 texts then you add "bolt ons" say 5£ for 1gb data, 5£ for international calls etc. :)

14. sou1 so1di3r macrumors 6502a

sou1 so1di3r

Thanks for the quick info!!

So in order for it to work with iOS 4.3.3 I have to get the Turbo one is this correct?

Anyone else using this around UK that can share their experience? :D:D

Oh also, when you guys say "You have to reconfigure if the signal drops or if the phone powers down" what exactly do you have to do? Just toggle airplane mode? Restart the phone?

15. sou1 so1di3r macrumors 6502a

sou1 so1di3r

16. Superman80 macrumors regular

OP have you missed post #5

They will unlock your phone officially for free

17. Frenchjay thread starter macrumors 68000

Frenchjay

Yes i realise that but the contract has not ended yet so they won't honour it.

18. Frenchjay thread starter macrumors 68000

Frenchjay

19. sou1 so1di3r, May 10, 2011
    Last edited: May 10, 2011

sou1 so1di3r macrumors 6502a

sou1 so1di3r

Cool dude!:cool:

That's actually fairly cheap. I'm going to be in London from Sep-Nov so that will work out great... and it's not that expensive.. like £30 would last me the whole two months (what is that like $54-$50? haha)

I was reading this at the bottom though

I wonder if I just wait until I actually get over there and then just go to an O2 store (I'm assuming these exist?) you think they would unlock it?? :D

Edit: oh yeah and I saw that unlock request form. I tried to fill it out but I'm sure they will deny it... I'm from the US so they will know I don't have a UK contract

20. Frenchjay thread starter macrumors 68000

Frenchjay

It seems if the won't honour the unlock the only way apart from jailbreaking is the Gevey sim adapter. This is the same for me.
    I know they won't unlock whilst i'm under contract so the sim adapter is the way to get round that. :D

21. sou1 so1di3r macrumors 6502a

sou1 so1di3r

Yeah. So are you using the Gevey Sim Turbo currently on iOS 4.3.3?

If so how is it? That sounds like what I'm going to have to do.

Anyone know if UK stores can do unlocking at store (saying if they would honor it) or is it some long process you have to get approved (via the online form)?

:confused::):apple:

22. Frenchjay thread starter macrumors 68000

Frenchjay

No i don't have it yet but i want to buy it soon.
    I don't think they will unlock it unless the contract you are currently under is finished.
    You would have to prove the contract is finished and then the carrier would have to be the same as the one you have now :)

23. sou1 so1di3r macrumors 6502a

sou1 so1di3r

yeah so that wouldn't work because mine is obviously a US iPhone from AT&T.

oh well... report back if you do buy it I want to know how well it works!:D

24. Frenchjay thread starter macrumors 68000

Frenchjay

Will do my friend!! :)