Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mad-B-One

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2011
San Antonio, Texas
This was pertaining to the MBP users or the last couple of years' MBP:

How many people have multiple graphics cards?

Since some years, all of them? Did you not read the discussion? It is not a "graphics card" - since that is only possible in Mac Pros or PC (and some other, more exotic hardware). So, it is GPUs. One is integrated, the other one discrete. That is meant here. Now, why would you argue about that terminology? Virtually everyone knows what the poster meant with graphics cards: GPUs.

Last edited:

The-Pro

macrumors 65816
Dec 2, 2010
Germany
It doesn't run at full 3D clocks with an external monitor hooked up, it just doesn't.

It'll probably jump between 2D and low 3D clocks, neither of which suddenly produce the 10-20W of power required to continuously run your fans at 4000+ RPM.

Secondly, why are you assuming that your iGPU wouldn't be working harder than the dGPU and therefore using almost the same amount of power to drive the external display?

Having just plugged my 2560x1440 screen in for 10 minutes (whilst browsing), my fans are barely above 2000RPM :confused:

Well I had an application, forget what its called and no longer have it installed, that showed the current clock frequencies. When my 30" ACD was connected GPU clock went from 175MHz to 475MHz (25 under the max of 500). Thats pretty close to the max :D Moving windows from the built in screen to the ACD maxed the frequency to 500.
In Windows Vista it also was running under max frequency with ACD plugged in. Power consumption increased by about 8W when the screen was plugged in.
My fans run at 4000rpm at least because I do more intensive work on my MBP. Just when browsing they stay at 2000-2500. So agreed there.

"Secondly, why are you assuming that your iGPU wouldn't be working harder than the dGPU and therefore using almost the same amount of power to drive the external display?"
- Im not assuming that, don't know where you got that from, mainly because the iGPU cant power an external screen. Or am I misunderstanding what you wrote?

Im not saying anything you said is wrong, im just writing about what I have observed

The-Pro

macrumors 65816
Dec 2, 2010
Germany
Windows and OS X controls the clock speeds in different ways, so that would explain some of the differences, assuming you were running in windows, as I don't know of any apps that read clock speeds in OS X.

:)

A friend of mine threw it together, I dont know how.
I will ask him for it again at one point, I searched for other apps that can do it and cant find any.
I was taking about being in OSX, just added what was happening in windows aswell.

Inconsequential

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2007
A friend of mine threw it together, I dont know how.
I will ask him for it again at one point, I searched for other apps that can do it and cant find any.
I was taking about being in OSX, just added what was happening in windows aswell.

I'd like to know how you get GPU clock speeds in OS X.

I've been looking for months!

sonovale

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2012
Just installed it on my late 2008 MacBook Pro. Works perfectly! It was so frustrating before being in the middle of work, finding the battery was getting low, and having to log out to switch!
Will be sending a donation today for sure!:)

----------

According to the Website, the latest version of this app IS Mountain Lion compatible! :D
wow It's great.:)

AriX

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2007
For YEARS?
How many people have multiple graphics cards?
Haha... well, now that you mention it, I guess it's only been about 2 years :)
Most 15"/17" MacBook Pros sold since 2009, if I remember correctly, have 2 graphics cards - one discrete card that is very powerful, but somewhat power-hungry, and an integrated one that is much less powerful but draws less power.

Mac OS X automatically switches between the available graphics cards. When you connect an external display, load something up in Flash, start a game, etc. the OS will switch to the better graphics card, and when you're done, it will switch back to save power. But it's not perfect, and a lot of apps will inadvertently force the system to use the better graphics card. For example, Google Chrome and Skype, among many others. gfxCardStatus provides a lot of control over which card is in use at any given time, and can also just notify you when the system decides that you should be using a different graphics card, and shows you why exactly the switch was made (under "dependencies"). It's a great utility.

Last edited:

10-Dee-Q

macrumors 6502a
hi i just installed this on my mid 09 MBP
but theres no option to set the mode to "dynamic"
i can only manualy set the gpu to either the intergrated or discreet.
where to find the option to enable the dynamic switching ?

----------

and another thing the option to set "use smart menu bar icon" is greyed out, i can't tick that.

fpsBeaTt

Suspended
Apr 18, 2010
hi i just installed this on my mid 09 MBP
but theres no option to set the mode to "dynamic"
i can only manualy set the gpu to either the intergrated or discreet.
where to find the option to enable the dynamic switching ?

----------

and another thing the option to set "use smart menu bar icon" is greyed out, i can't tick that.

Automatic GPU switching was only included as a feature in 2010 and later MacBook Pros; it's not a higher-level software limitation from OS X, it's a feature lacking in the chipset itself.

lewismayell

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2013
South West England
I know this post is old, but I just found this app, does anyone know if I should leave the discrete (NVIDIA) graphics card running or switch back to the integrated (Intel), will leaving the discrete on cause any problems? I'm assuming it's a better card so would have some better performance? I have an early 2013 15" rMBP

CyBeRino

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2011
I know this post is old, but I just found this app, does anyone know if I should leave the discrete (NVIDIA) graphics card running or switch back to the integrated (Intel), will leaving the discrete on cause any problems? I'm assuming it's a better card so would have some better performance? I have an early 2013 15" rMBP

Better performance but also higher battery draw and more heat production. Usually it's best to leave it set to dynamic switching imo.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007

Whole point in the switching is the OS knows when it needs the extra GPU power, and when it doesn't need it, it uses the integrated one to preserve battery life.

The integrated one is still very capable.

lewismayell

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2013
South West England
Better performance but also higher battery draw and more heat production. Usually it's best to leave it set to dynamic switching imo.

About heat, I never hear my fans spin up but the back of the body quite often gets hot because I'm running Ableton, am I having a problem or does it really not need to start spinning?

----------

Whole point in the switching is the OS knows when it needs the extra GPU power, and when it doesn't need it, it uses the integrated one to preserve battery life.

The integrated one is still very capable.

Does it switch with gaming though? Just bought the Mac version of MW2 and the discrete card is just above what they recommend but the integrated is less than what it needs

bearda

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2005
Roanoke, VA
You can't physically do that IIRC.

Makes sense too, as if your at a desk your likely to be plugged in to the mains so why does it matter the dGPU is running or not?

I understand why you can't, but it'd be nice when giving a presentation. There are a lot of times when I end up hooking up a a projector or TV in a conference room but don't have a power brick handy.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Does it switch with gaming though? Just bought the Mac version of MW2 and the discrete card is just above what they recommend but the integrated is less than what it needs

Yes. It switches automatically when GPU demand is high.

If you run Windows via Boot Camp, it'll always use the discrete GPU.

lewismayell

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2013
South West England
Yes. It switches automatically when GPU demand is high.

If you run Windows via Boot Camp, it'll always use the discrete GPU.

Didn't realise the app tells me when it's switching in the dynamic mode.

I don't have enough memory to make Boot Camp worth while, the partition would be small and then the operating system would take up memory as well

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.