Ghost experiences, anyone ever see/hear spirts?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Crawn2003, Jun 7, 2008.

1. Crawn2003 macrumors 6502

Just a question I was thinking about earlier today.

I think I had a ghost in the last place I lived. It was an older home, things would fly off the shelves without any warning. Items would turn up missing an reappear somewhere else where they shouldn't have been. I got out of the shower one time and looked behind me in the mirror and watched the shower curtain move across the bar.

Anyone else ever have something like that or even seen/heard a ghost?

Crawn

2. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I've posted this many times here before but once I came out of meditation my chairs had been rearranged. My dad (as I always say - he doesn't believe in ghosts) felt something grab him in his first house, turned round thinking it was my mum but nobody was there.

Other than that we've seen a lot things in this house. We built this house in 1994 on the site of some abandoned houses... If that means anything. Everyone has seen and heard something, even guests. From bright glowing spheres to dark shadowy hands poking out from doors. Most common one are little black bugs that only appear in downstairs rooms, but only if dogs aren't in the room. They'll climb on walls and ceilings but vanish if you look at them for long enough - everyone here has seem them.

If it's worth anything my girlfriend never liked our piano, always thought something was "off" about it. Only found out a year ago that the people we bought the piano off had plans of buying this land. The piano was always meant to be here. :D

But it's all madness.

3. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

I think I've posted this before, but something similar happened to me once at a place where I used to work.

The offices were in an old converted house, and I was the last one in one evening. I was in the kitchen doing the washing up when I was very forcibly pushed in the back, so much so that I banged against the sink. Like your dad, when I turned around there was no one there. The sink was a fair distance from the door, so there was no way someone could have pushed me and made it out of the kitchen unnoticed – and besides, as I say I was alone in the building, with the front door securely locked.

Spooky, as Dame Edna might say.

4. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I suppose it's also worth mentioning my pops also had a few spooky moments (it's catching :p) when he used to go running. On one occasion he saw a woman walking alongside a steep wall. He looked back up and she had gone. 20 or so years later our school bus took us over the same stretch of road and a few kids in the back spotted a child in the middle of the road. They kept their eye on it as the driver stopped and went out to check but it had vanished behind a wall.
    He also felt such unease on a certain (near to the above story) road that he never used it again. Above a, now converted, stately home. I was in the car when he had to use it as an emergency and his legs started seizing up to the point he had to drive slowly and looked really distressed. Even before that I never liked this road which, oddly enough, falls slap bang (thanks Google Earth) between 2 quite popular ghostly sites. Really quite strange.

As I said before though. It's all madness :D

5. Kinderhauz macrumors member

I thought there was a ghost in our house one time but it turned out it was just Santa. Duh I should've remembered it was Dec 24.

6. bgd macrumors regular

My atv remote has gone missing. It can only be a ghost.

7. Melrose macrumors 604

Melrose

I once let a glass of water out for a few days and by the time I checked back it was half-gone. :eek: I think a ghost drank it on me. Then my car keys keep turning up missing. I'm a believer now.

I read about this place in an old Scottish Life magazine. Jeepers creepers...

8. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

I've seen many spirit/ghost like objects in my house.

One night the whole family was at the dinner table and from the corner of my eye, I saw a tall, dark shadowy figure bolt up the stairs to the second floor. Later that night I was in my room watch TV and I saw a smaller (possibly a child) shadowy figure get up from the chair in my room and run out the door and into the hallway. The next day I told my mom about it and she said it's possible that I have "Medium like abilities". She said I can tune that sense if I pay closer attention. However, IDK if I wanna tune my abilities. I really don't wanna be seeing dead ppl the rest of my life; once in a while is okay but not every moment.

My first experience with the supernatural was when I was about 8th grade and when we still lived in our 100 year old victorian house. I was in my room laying on the floor playing Nintendo 64 and all of the sudden my room got somewhat cold (it was summer mind you). After it got cold in my room, I smelled this strong perfume. I turned whipped my head around to what it was and when I looked, my door slightly opened.

To any of you out there that don't believe in the supernatural; let me tell you, I never believed in it either but when you see figures walking around your house, bolting up the stairs and running out of your fully lit room, you begin to believe.

9. LumbermanSVO macrumors 65816

I used to live in a house where the owner was paranoid about security. He head deadbolts on every door in the house, even the third floor where there was no ground level access. In all the rooms you needed a key to get from the room to the hallway, nut no key to get form the hallway to the room.

There was a door at the top of the stairs for the third floor. Every night my friend would lock the door before bed, in the morning the door would be open. I figured he was screwing with me. When he left for sea I continued the locking of the door, it would be open in the morning. I now put the blame on my other housemate. That is, until the housemate went out of town for a week. I kept locking the door and it was open every morning.

Turns out some little girl had died in that room in the 30's. The cause of death was questionable but there were no suspects in the case.

There were a few random missing items over the years but other than that the door was the only sign of other beings in the house.

10. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

My pops says the same thing. Just after or before something strange happened in his first house he could smell (and it's laughable really) cornflakes. Unmistakable he says. I've never smelt anything but I have felt sudden temperature shifts.

Same here really. Though my pops still doesn't believe in ghosts or an afterlife :D I'm not entirely sure what this all is be they ghosts, projected memories or cybermen. Somethings afoot though!

11. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Yes- I've seen a few. One I never saw, but it would move things and even hide them. It got so bad, I had one of my Wiccan friends come over to get rid of it and that did the trick.

The other one was standing in a dim hallway and I could only see his silhouette. I thought it was my roommate, Rick. I kept talking to him and of course, he didn't answer. I was kind of annoyed, but figured Rick was just being silly. Then Rick walked out of the bathroom in another hall. I looked again and the silhouette was gone. I told Rick what happened and he just said, "Finally! We've been waiting for you to see him. We never tell anyone who moves in about the ghost. We wait for them to see him." Oh- that was back in college when I lived in a rooming house with seven other guys. Whenever someone new moved in, we all waited for them to see him, and every single person did.

12. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

You guys should (if you haven't already) check out the Spanish film called The Orphanage. It's my favorite thriller ghost story movie.

13. SRSound macrumors 6502

14. Virgil-TB2 macrumors 65816

Virgil-TB2

the wet blanket

I'm just on this thread so I can take notes on which of the forum members are foolish enough to believe in this junk. :)

It's a good thing to question what is real and what is not, but if you seriously believe in disembodied spirits of people who are dead :eek: walking around on earth, you have no right asking anyone to believe anything else you say IMO.

I also think I said this the last time the topic came up on this forum, but while lots of people have those "seen out of the corner of the eye" experiences or witness something that they *thought* was weird, to make the leap from "I saw something weird" to "Ghosts are real!" is just nuts.

As an expert in Fortean phenomena, (and I am), I can tell you that despite people believing in ghosts for pretty much the entire history of the human race, there has never, ever been a single piece of good evidence that ghosts exist in any way shape or form. And you'd think after a few million years of people dying and turning into ghosts there would be at least some video, audio, or something of all these spirits walking around.

Like most of these kinds of things ghost sightings are simple misapprehensions based on incomplete or misleading sensory data and the strong desire to believe in them. The thing that really worries me is the folks on this thread that believe they actually saw them while looking right at them. :eek: It's neat, and kind of exciting to have one of these experiences and a bit of a downer to realise that they have other explanations. But if you have actually seen figures walking around in plain sight (and the guy that saw the shower curtain move all on it's own too), you are either stretching the truth of what happened a bit, or you need to lay off on the drugs, see a shrink etc.

If you want to believe in something weird, try UFO's. At least there is some incontrovertible physical evidence that something is going on there. Ghosts? Not so much.

Seriously.

15. SRSound macrumors 6502

Aside from your excellent logic, i love the quote in your sig - couldnt agree more

16. Crawn2003 thread starter macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

Thanks for that wonderful story. It really added a lot to the topic of the thread.

If I remember correctly, I said any stories or experiences, not anything about please disprove ghosts so we're all crazy if we do believe.

Crawn

17. mumurphya macrumors newbie

mumurphya

One day I went with my mother to CVS pharmacy so she could pick up some medications. We were walking about 2 feet apart diagonal of eachother and I was behind her. While we were walking to the back there was someone who walked in between us. They walked with enough force to cause my mom to turn around and look to her left and I to look swiftly to my right in a fraction of a second. We both looked and no one was there. We then turned our heads to eachother and kind of was like holy crap. So I looked into the next two isles to see if anyone was in them but there was not. No one could have even turned into those isles and made it out of sight in that amount of time anyway.

One evening I went to take a shower. I set a quite hefty towel (one of those full body beach towels) near the back of our bathroom sink against the wall, nowhere near the edge. While I was taking a shower I heard a loud thud. I pulled the shower curtain back and it was that towel on the floor against the shower. It had went all the way across the room and landed next to the shower somehow. The bathroom door was locked, the windows were closed and locked, and there was nothing else in the bathroom that could have caused it to do that. I was so freaked out by it I just stopped the shower and left the room. I thought it to be very odd.

18. letsgorangers macrumors 6502

My thoughts exactly.

19. ErikCLDR macrumors 68000

I know these people that live in a haunted house in Massachusetts. A local news station actually did a story about their house. It's something like 300 years old and apparently they've had a lot of creepy things happen:
    - Candles blowing out
    - Cold areas of the house on hot days with no AC
    - Furniture being moved
    - They had a rocking chair in the attic that would mysteriously rock
    - Slamming doors that are propped open
    - Apparently the house hadn't been lived in for a period of time and people claimed that they saw faces in the windows of the attic (sooo creepy)

20. SRSound macrumors 6502

[​IMG]
    :p

21. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

It's been a while now, but I remember that one of my good friends (who I've sadly lost contact with) used to live in a very old house (it had shackles in the basement for slaves apparently). I was over at his house a lot, and there was certainly talk of a spirit within the house. I remember she liked to stand by the window in the upstairs hallway and look out, or so I heard, but the most concrete evidence for her existence was how my friends computer would wake up randomly and the mouse would move (this was in '04, no screen sharing going on between his parent's iMac G4 and his PC). Yes, I said she, it's what the family told me. As well, the spirit in question also called out for my friend when he was off at summer camp and even apparently blew up the car next to theirs in a parking lot (right before they were set to move away), or so I was lead to believe by my friend's frantic phone call. Of course, from a logical standpoint, they could have been messing with me, but there was definitely something there, something that made you feel uneasy, a cool cloud that traveled around the house. While logic doesn't allow me to confirm the existence of the Earth trapped spirits, I can't help but think in the back of my mind that they are, in fact, there.

22. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Ok then- so you admit you're a complete and utter bore? ;) Really, you could have said it in a shorter post. :D

I don't know about you, but when the guys I lived with all saw the same thing at different times and places in the house, I'm kind of inclined to believe in something. We never told the new people about it either, just to make sure we weren't nuts. Everyone- every single person who lived in that house saw it at one time or another, whether they believed in "that stuff" or not.

23. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

I've seen some things, for sure. I'm the kind of guy who has hung out in abandoned insane asylums, in the buildings where there was (supposedly) a murder, at night, alone. More than once. I've never been convinced, despite everything I've seen, that there isn't a rational explanation, even if I don't have one readily available.

I've also been a ghost myself on more than one occasion. When you are the kind of person who is often in these places that are reserved for those who want to be scared ****less, you have a not-surprising number of opportunities to scare people ****less.

24. mashny macrumors regular

Let me first say that I do not believe in ghosts. I have never seen things move across rooms, or unexplained sounds and screams, or doors opening or closing...that being said, here is what happened to me:

I'm a slob about many things, but anal when it comes to hanging pictures and anything else that requires geometrical precision. I'm a Beatles fan and, when I was in junior high school, bought the White album, which came with 8x10 color glossies of each Beatle. I carefully taped each picture two inches apart--John, Paul, George, then Ringo--bottoms carefully aligned, on the wall alongside my bed. There they stayed for months until December 8th, 1980. My sister and I went to school, my parents went to work, and no one else had the keys to the apartment (the building super only had the bottom-lock key, but we always locked the top and bottom lock). When I got home from school (I was the first one of us to get home) I went into my bedroom, and John's picture was now about four for five inches to the left of Paul, perfectly aligned, but it was now about three inches to the left of where it was when we all left in the morning. December 8th 1980 is the day John Lennon was killed.

As I mentioned, I do not believe in ghosts or the supernatural. All I know is that no one entered the apartment that day, and I have no explanation for what happened. We lived on the 18th floor, in a building without fire escapes (it was a brick and steel "fireproof" building), so there's no way anyone climbed in.