Ghost / Passed Away Family member Experiences?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by NewAnger, Aug 13, 2012.

1. NewAnger macrumors 6502a

My parents have both passed away in the house that is now mine.

My dad passed away upstairs and my mom, upstairs as well just about 15 feet away. Dad passed away on fathers day 2001, Mom on January 17, 2006.

A few months after my Dad passed, my Mom and I were talking after returning from buying her groceries and we were both crying after hearing the floorboards in another room make a very strange vibrating noise that neither one of us heard before or after. It was a sound very similar to the one Jason heard on Ghost Hunters when he was up in an attic and the whole room just started to make a vibrating noise.

Anyways, as I said, we were crying wondering if that sound had been something my Dad had done. As I was getting ready to leave, I hugged my Mom and told her that when the time came, I always wanted her to let me know she was around. She knew I would be living in the house after because she wanted me to have it in her will.

It was in March that year, just maybe two months after she passed and I was sitting on the floor surfing away on the computer. I slowly became aware that something seemed to be lightly rubbing my right arm just as my Mom may have done in the past. I say seemed to be rubbing because it was a very light sensation and being touched by something you can't see is an entirely different sensation than by something you can see.

A few years later, I was in the downstairs bathroom that my Mom always used looking in the medicine cabinet. Her things were still in there as they still are to this day. I was just looking at the few things in there, toothbrush, floss and mouthwash. I closed the door and it firmly closed as it's your typical older cabinet that is held shut by a magnet. You pull on it to open it.

Well, a few weeks later, I go in and the medicine cabinet door is open about two inches. Keep in mind, it is held closed normally by magnets and it just has never opened in the six years I've been here other than this day and all the previous years I loved in the house as a kid. I closed the door and went in the other room telling my Mom, if that was you, open it again.

An hour later, I went back in and the medicine cabinet door was open again, exactly the same amount of space. I was so shocked, that I said what the F. I closed the door, and again to this day, the cabinet door has not opened by itself again. It can't because that would mean it wasn't my Mother that had opened it and I honestly believe till the day I die, it will never open again on it's own.

One Sunday morning, I had just woke up, it was close to 9.30AM or 10. I was laying there and turned on the laptop. I became aware that there were footsteps getting closer from the other room and my bedroom door was open. The footsteps stopped at what sounded like right at the doorway as if whoever it was stopped to look at me laying there. After about maybe 10 seconds, they walked out and slowly faded away into the other room again.

One other notable occurrence. There had been a few times when I had been either laying down watching TV in bed or surfing the net on the laptop when I could feel a fingertip lightly touch my face about the right side of my lip.

Talking to my brother as we would occasionally do, I would tell him whatever event happened to where I thought it was my Mom doing something. I had never told my brother about the face incidents. He suddenly tells me that once in a while he thinks he feels someone touching his face above his lip. I broke into tears and told him I felt the same thing on a few occasions. In fact, I can't help it but my eyes fill with tears now and every time I think of these things. My brother lives a few miles away in his own house.

There have been a few other minors things, floor boards up in what was my Dad's bedroom creaking as if someone took a few steps. No place to walk up there. When I had to move into the house when my Mom died, whatever furniture I didn't get rid of went in that room piled up on the bed and floor.

99% of these events were in my honest opinion, my Mom letting me know she was here. I have no doubts whatsoever.

Though I think the show Ghost Hunters is mostly fake these days, Jason and Grant used to say that it is very rare to have things happen when they investigate. In the six years that I've lived in this house since my Mom passed, these were most of the things that happened and there were only about two there minor things that happened that i could not be sure about.

Do any of you have or have had things like this happen after losing parents or family members or other loved ones? Don't be shy or afraid to admit that you had something unexplained happen. I feel that we all have, it's either you weren't paying attention or you weren't sure you saw it.

2. logicpro7 macrumors 6502a

Yes i have had very similar things happen that you described in your post.

I wont post the full story as i am on my iPhone and it would take too long.

A few years ago my Auntie passed away, she was a lovely woman and myself and the wife heard some strange noises in another room a few months after.

Then a year later my Nan passed and the night she passed is was in the bathroom getting ready to go out at about 8pm, i see a shadow in the kids room... No one was in the house, but i thought it was my imagination so ignored it. Later when i came home i was told my Nan had passed away at 8pm, the same time as when i saw the shadow.

For months after, there were various goings on in the house, noises, bags moving, a watch that was left for me disappeared then appeared in the place it was left.

About 3 years ago my Dad suddenly passed, i was with him holding his hand in the hospital until he went.

I took some of his belongings home and the few weeks after some very strange things happened. His glasses case was on the tv stand, tv off, just me there surfing the net and i heard a click sound, it was the sound of a glasses case being opened and closed... And then realised my Dads glasses case was next to the tv.

I also had my face brushed whilst in bed one night, it was as if someone ran their fingers down the side of my cheek as if wiping away tears, im sure it was my Dad.

3. 'Bmac macrumors regular

My Mother passed away two years ago. I live in the same house as I grew up in and with my Mom until she went to the hospital and never came home. When She passed I took her glasses and red comb put them in plastic bags and put them in my draw in my bedroom. I KNOW I did. But NOW they are both missing. I believe that she took them because she needs them in heaven. I miss her so very much.

4. GoreVidal macrumors 6502a

GoreVidal

Whatever you need to tell yourself for comfort, by all means do so, but don't lose sight of reason. There are no such things as ghosts, and energy doesn't just release from the deceased and form to open cupboards and make floorboards creak.

5. NewAnger thread starter macrumors 6502a

I didn't ask for your opinion or if you believe or not.

6. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Why so hasty?

He's not giving you his opinion or telling you his beliefs. He is telling you a fact.

7. NewAnger thread starter macrumors 6502a

He is stating it as if it is a fact that there is no such thing as ghosts. His response is off topic.

8. GoreVidal macrumors 6502a

GoreVidal

Why so hostile? The topic is about ghosts and passed away family member experiences. I have had several close family members pass away, have lived in the homes in which they passed, and have experienced no ghosts. And have drawn from those experiences and common sense that ghosts do not exist, hence my contribution to the thread and topic at hand. Just because you disagree doesn't mean my contribution is invalid. If you go with this approach to conversation and disagreement, the world will indeed be scary place for you, ghosts or no.

If you want to have a conversation where everyone agrees with you in the notion of life after death and the paranormal, I'm sure there are several religious, paranormal, and others of a fictional genre that you can find solace and comfort in your "experience" without the inconvenience of differing opinions, but you certainly won't find that on a Mac forum.

9. erickkoch macrumors 6502a

I'm a bit of a skeptic on the subject of ghosts because I have never seen or experienced any supernatural encounter like that but I don't completely discount something that I personally haven't seen or experienced.

My mother and aunt both claimed to have seen their grandfather (he was raising them at the time) standing at the foot of their bed the day after he died. They were children at the time, 6 and 8, they slept in the same bed. He was very tall 6' 4" with a large build. They claim that he appeared like a large shadow, his silhuoette was unmistakable, they knew it was him. The shadow was there for a few moments watching over them and then it just vanished.

I'm a bit skeptical of this account, they were kids afterall, but they stick by their story to this day. It's the only time I've ever heard of two people having the same sighting together at the same time. If it happened to me I think I would be creeped out.

10. AhmedFaisal Guest

No personal experience as of yet but my father had a strange experience when his brother died in a car accident. My mother and him were on their way to a long anticipated dinner/theater date (my father had just started working at a new company and was pulling long nights and weekends and this was their first weekend off together) when suddenly he told my mother that he needed to get home as quickly as possible. He didn't know why, he just knew that he did. Coming home he found out about his brother's car accident and made it to the hospital just in time to be there for his brother's last moments and to close his eyes. My father still after over 50 years gets choked up about it and can't explain how he knew he had to get home right that instant. He said he just felt something horrible had happened.

11. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

I think grief, love and hope are effective triggers in the power and mystery of the mind.

The only experience I have had in "contact" with someone after they've died is dreaming about them in strangely vivid detail. I believe this to be my own subconscious coming to terms with the loss.

12. barkomatic macrumors 68040

Do you think that there are as yet undiscovered aspects of the universe? There are things we can explain today that would have been considered magic 200 years ago.

This OP wasn't talking about religion, so your New Atheist instincts can be rested for now. :)