"Ghosting" when using Macbook with HDTV

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by james6000, Nov 17, 2007.

1. james6000 macrumors member

james6000

My Macbook works fine with my normal computer resolution. But I recently bought a new VGA cable to connect my Macbook to my HDTV in order to watch movies.

But now, when it is all connected, although the resolution is correct, there appears to be ghost images around objects such as icons and windows. This is not as noticeable when watching videos in full screen. but still very annoying when return to the desktop.

Has anyone else had a similar problem? I've connected a PC to the TV before and it looked fine.

2. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

Have you tried playing around with the frequency settings in System Preferences?

3. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Changing frequency might help.

A better solution would be to use a digital connection, if available on the HDTV (DVI/HDMI).

4. milk242 macrumors 6502a

I had a "ghosting" problem like that too, turned out to be the vga cable. But if that's not the case then play with the refresh rate like everyone said previously.

5. james6000 thread starter macrumors member

james6000

Could be with the VGA cable as it is brand new, Belkin 3m VGA. Changing the refresh rate won't work because the TV can only support 60Hz (other options on the Macbook are grayed out).

6. DannyBres macrumors 65816

DannyBres

I have my MB connected to my my HDTV via VGA and its fine

7. james6000 thread starter macrumors member

james6000

I think it is most likely to do with the fact that I have a poor quality VGA cable then, bought it second hand off amazon.

I don't know many/any sites or places that offer cheap, good quality cables.

8. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

ebay is great for cables. Many of the cables you buy there are brand new and cheap. I use the mini-dvi to dvi then to a dvi to hdmi to my 46 bravia. The quality is great from the macbook.

http://search.ebay.com/hdmi-cable_W0QQftsZ0

9. james6000 thread starter macrumors member

james6000

I've lost a lot of trust in ebay since one bad experience, causing me to lose a large sum of money. And after making the claim etc, a couple of months later they deleted my account!!

10. VocalVirgo macrumors newbie

I'm about to do the same thing, use my 2.0 Ghtz Macbook to play DVD's on my 32" HDTV. So, do we all think it's better to go Mini DV to HDMI, or just VGI?
    Thanks!