Gift for a mac geek? Under $250?

TheBritishBloke

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 21, 2009
United Kingdom
Hi,

My father has offered to purchase me another gift, as he keeps stressing that he hasn't bought me enough... (hah)

Basically the budget is $250, and we can't think of anything I really want right now. Only idea I came up with is a secondary monitor for my mac(After going through the obvious such as clothing and the like), but to be honest, I'd rather him buy me something else.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance :)

TheBritishBloke

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 21, 2009
United Kingdom
I've had an MX Revolution mouse for a long time ;)

I've already gone through ThinkGeek too, there's not really anything that I've seen on there that'd be of use to me right now. Unless you've found something awesome that you've got ;)

P.S. Doesn't have to be apple related. Heck, what the hell can you get for $250 except for a crushed iMac G4? ;)

TheBritishBloke

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 21, 2009
United Kingdom
If you've got everything, just get him to donate the money to charity. :)
Lolol. I've donated enough to charity in the past year. Given away about $1000 cash, about $2000 worth of clothes, and about $500 worth of things lying around my home.

The charities can wait ;)

Zune HD any possibility? Are they worth it? (Bear in mind I already have an iPhone, iPod Classic, iPod Shuffle.)

Theclamshell

macrumors 68030
Mar 2, 2009
Lolol. I've donated enough to charity in the past year. Given away about $1000 cash, about $2000 worth of clothes, and about $500 worth of things lying around my home.

The charities can wait ;)

Zune HD any possibility? Are they worth it? (Bear in mind I already have an iPhone, iPod Classic, iPod Shuffle.)
dont get a zune if you have an iphone. get an older mac to play with. ibook clamshells are fun to have

TheBritishBloke

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 21, 2009
United Kingdom
dont get a zune if you have an iphone. get an older mac to play with. ibook clamshells are fun to have
That's what I guessed, it isn't that much different of a device.

I looked into an iMac G4, which is a machine I've always wanted to have, but there's none available in the UK in my price range. The iBook's are also too expensive.

Aboo

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2008
You can also get some Apple swag if you want. Just a couple of weeks ago, I was able to call the Apple Company store and have them ship me out a few products like Apple coffee mugs and mouse pads. Just paid with a credit card over the phone. This might me an option for you.

TheBritishBloke

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 21, 2009
United Kingdom
You can also get some Apple swag if you want. Just a couple of weeks ago, I was able to call the Apple Company store and have them ship me out a few products like Apple coffee mugs and mouse pads. Just paid with a credit card over the phone. This might me an option for you.
Hah that's awesome. How much did they end up costing you?

brendu

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2009
USA
buy like 1 share of apple stock. with the tablet coming soon its bound to pay off

brendu

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2009
USA
Hmm.. It's a good idea... :) I'd profit by about $4 afterwards? ;)
well maybe up to $30 or so... initially i was going to suggest you buy about 10 shares, then when i looked at what it cost i realized only one share is within your specified budget... man i wish i bought some apple about ten years ago...

TheBritishBloke

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 21, 2009
United Kingdom
well maybe up to $30 or so... initially i was going to suggest you buy about 10 shares, then when i looked at what it cost i realized only one share is within your specified budget... man i wish i bought some apple about ten years ago...
You know what's funny... I'm sure your post said '10 shares' when I first looked LMAO!

AAPL went down nearly $2 on the 31st December. :l maybe I'll buy one when it hits 200 :p

Or I can buy 8 shares in Microsoft :)

Jason Beck

macrumors 68000
Oct 19, 2009
Cedar City, Utah
i'm with him, start a stock portfolio. Even if you can't afford Apple shares,
start with something lower. I havn't started mine yet, but I really wish I
had a few bucks to buy some stock right now.
Plus it becomes a great hobby! You will have something to obsess about every
day. LOL.
=)

TheBritishBloke

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 21, 2009
United Kingdom
i'm with him, start a stock portfolio. Even if you can't afford Apple shares,
start with something lower. I havn't started mine yet, but I really wish I
had a few bucks to buy some stock right now.
Plus it becomes a great hobby! You will have something to obsess about every
day. LOL.
=)
LOLOL Sitting here staring at a graph hour after hour lmao.

Any recommendations on who to buy stocks in EXCEPT for AAPL?

Andy348

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2009
Montreal
I'd love to. But I can't settle for a small HDD. I'd have to buy a 256GB... Which is ridiculously expensive :l
How 'bout a 7200RPM 500GB drive for your MBP + an external enclosure to hold your old 320GB?

Other suggestions..

-New speakers?
-New headphones?
-New desk?
-New camera?

I'm confused about the original post... do you already have an external monitor for your MBP? 'cause if you don't I would go for a 24ish" monitor. (I know you said you'd prefer he got something else for you, but imo this is the best option).