Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zombie Acorn

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Looking for gifts to encourage my daughter to open up to STEM related activities and get interested in science, she is 2.5 now but goes to school with 3-4 year olds so seems to be comfortable in that age group.

Anyone seeing interesting toys this year or have any ideas for 3-4 year olds?

Side note: im not looking to force my kid into anything (she does the normal doll and stuffed animals thing) but would like to expose her to science at a young age.

Reactions: jkcerda

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
There used to be a store at the Mall of America that specialized in science stuff for kids, but it went out of business a long time ago and I forgot the name. :(

What about something like: Link or Link?

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
Looking for gifts to encourage my daughter to open up to STEM related activities and get interested in science, she is 2.5 now but goes to school with 3-4 year olds so seems to be comfortable in that age group.

Snap Circuits (when she's a little bit older. not for 3-4 years old).

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK

Side note: im not looking to force my kid into anything (she does the normal doll and stuffed animals thing) but would like to expose her to science at a young age.
The science museum used to make little robot kits. My daughter enjoyed making them with me, but more like 7-8 I think.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
Books aimed at children and possibly very well produced documentaries. There used to be a lot of science stores back in the day but they took a backseat after the 2000 recession and after people became more interested in the trash that TLC was switching to.

Zombie Acorn

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Some of these robot toys will definitely be my goto when shes a couple years older, there does seem to be a gap between ~3 to around ~6 where theres not really much to buy, and I don't see many books featuring girls as the scientists/astronauts either.

I already have a solar system for her which I saw in one of the links, she is learning her planets right now slowly (she knows she lives on earth which is kind of funny).

Thanks for the suggestions so far!

Reactions: jkcerda

RobinInOR

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2014
I doubt schools do this any more, but my love of biology stemmed (ha) from collecting bugs in kindergarten. I had a small terrarium with a wire cover. At times it held ladybugs, worms, just remembered I also collected garden snails; once I had some little turtles. Graduated to lizards and snakes. I also had an ant farm. Maybe that's a suburban/rural thing :) I didn't turn out too twisted lol...

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Show her actual dinosaurs - I remember being gobsmacked when I saw the diplodocus (and, indeed, the Tyrannosaurus Rex) in the foyer, or hall, of Natural History Museum in London.

Build on the awe and wonder she should feel about the world at that age, encourage her to ask questions about it, and help her in finding the answers.

Foggydog

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2014
Left Coast

Does Toronto have a children's science museum?
I'm looking at your girls age, but even so, possibly a planetarium would be a big jaw dropping experience. Neither of these are toys of course but often times these places sell stuff in their stores directed at children. They should also carry DVD on related topics.

Mousse

macrumors 68040
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
I might be showing my age a bit, but I use a Hooey stick to get kids interested in science. They're cheap (and cheaply made), but you can make your own. I remember my Grandpa entertaining us kids when I was young. He would say "Hoo-eee!" and get the propeller to change directions.

It wasn't until college that I learned the science behind the magic.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.