Girl With Her Very First Mac - and software questions

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ansella, Feb 28, 2008.

1. ansella macrumors member

ansella

Hello folks,

I just bought my very first Mac.
    I am eagerly awaiting it's arrival.

I purchased it through apple.ca the 2.5 GHZ MBP with the 7200 rpm hard drive upgrade. Didn't think the 2.6 Ghz was worth the extra money.

I also got Apple Care. Was that a smart move? Is it worth the money?

Does anyone have any suggestions for a first time Mac owner?

What software do you suggest?

I also ordered Iwork but don't know if I can send those files to someone with a PC. Should I have gotten the Mac version of Office instead?

We do lots of video and photo editing. Would like to get the new Panasonic High Def SD camcorder. Will IMovie be enough? We also do lots of photo editing. If I have Photoshop CS3 should I buy Aperture?

2. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

Congrats on ordering your Mac. You will enjoy the mac experience.

Pages 08 which is part of iWork can export documents in Word format, but some people (myself included) find that sometimes Word has trouble opening these files. I ended up buying Office 2008 (students edition)

You may find iMovie 08 a bit limiting for video work, I can recommend Final Cut Express V4.
    Regarding Photoshop CS3, no you don't really need Aperture as well.

3. jshbckr macrumors 6502

If you are just sending your stuff from iWork for viewing and not for editing, you should just save it as a PDF. Those will open anywhere. But if you're doing it for editing, you can save as a word doc.

4. riscy macrumors 6502a

riscy

Well, for recommended software, check my sig - especially Butler, amazing stuff! And if you use the PC option then BootPicker is excellent too.

5. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

If you want better Word compatibility than iWork provides, take a look at NeoOffice or Nisus Writer Pro. Either one can exchange files reliably with MS Word without some of Office:Mac's nastier bugs. I use NeoOffice (which is freeware) at work on a daily basis to exchange files with Windows Office users - never had a problem. Nisus is the better WP, but isn't free.

With regard to photo editing, I'm a very heavy user of both Photoshop and Aperture - they complement each other very well. Aperture handles my photo library and is superb for 'digital darkroom' type use, correcting exposure and generally making the best of a straight photo. if I need to make more major changes, then I move over to Photoshop - the two apps really don't overlap as much as you'd think.

6. Achiever macrumors 6502

Achiever

Congrats on the purchase and welcome to the cult of Mac.

I believe the Apple Care is a worthwhile purchase, especially for a first time user. A couple hundred bucks will prove a very worthy investment for a $2500+ tool. It essentially gives you piece of mind for three years for pretty much everything but theft or you dropping it.

As for iWork v. Office, I have both on my Mac. I use office when I need some compatibility with work files (PCs at work sadly) or am exchanging docs with a non-Mac user. For everything I do for me, my family, friends who are Mac users or presentations I use my own computer for, it is iWork for me. If you don't want to buy Office, but still need compatibility with it, you could also download NeoOffice for free. It is the OSX native version of OpenOffice and I have yet to have compatibility issues with it and Office docs (though I have mostly used it with MS Word docs, there should be good compatibility all around).

7. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

Question whats the diff between bootpicker or just choosing your start up disk
    in OS X or Windows?

8. ansella thread starter macrumors member

ansella

Good point! Thanks!

Thanks for the advice. I will look into that!

Cool!

9. Czechmac macrumors regular

I have iWork and Office 2008 and use both. One thing about student and teachers edition of Office 2008 is that it comes with 3 serial numbers, so you can install it on 3 machines (didn't know that when I bought it and it was a really nice surprise).

Also, for all video files, I like using VLC http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

It plays all, including Windows media files.

I hope this was useful a bit.

10. McGiord, Feb 28, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2011

McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

Skype for videochats as an alternative to iChat (not everybody has a mac), and also to make economical international calls.
    www.skype.com

To organize your life iGTD:

http://www.igtd.pl/iGTD/

Both are free.

You can free try iWork for 30 days.
    ________
    og kush marijuana

11. ansella thread starter macrumors member

ansella

Thanks!

Thanks everyone! All this software advice is great! Keep it coming. Anything bad in the Macs I should be aware of?

12. Freyqq macrumors 68040

mac office 08 is much better than iwork if you need cross-compatibility with windows

iwork can save and read office files..but its not perfect at it

adium is also better than ichat for IM

13. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

Some apps I like:

Adium - great multi IM client, I use it for text chat on AIM, MSN, Yahoo and GTalk. Of course, it doesn't do audio/video for any medium, and it's file transfer support can be spotty (so I keep iChat, Skype, and aMSN around for those duties).

Colloquy - nice Mac-like IRC client, dunno if you use IRC much, but there it is.

Transmit - The best FTP client for OS X if you ask me. If you need FTP, you need Transmit. Similarly, if you use Usenet newsgroups at all, Panic's "Unison" is probably the best newsreader app on OS X.

Transmission - Mac-native torrent client. Not an ugly, bloated resource hog like Azureus. Woo!

Perian - a great codec (technically set of codecs) for QuickTime, adds support for Xvid/DivX, MKV files, FLV, and a crap-ton of other formats right in QuickTime.

Flip4Mac - similarly, a set of Windows Media codecs for QuickTime so you can view WMV files online.

Quicksilver - a great app launcher, and so much more. Kind of a power user tool, I'd say, but a nice thing to try to start learning to use early on. I rely on it, pretty much to the exclusion of the Dock. Awesome utility.

Well, it'd probably help if I knew more about what sort of utilities you needed. :eek:

14. cobbe1 macrumors member

cobbe1

Congrats!

You'll fall in love with your MBP lol

Here's a list of Top 100 Essential appz. Categorized with direct link to the software site. A lot of them are indeed my favorites on my aged TiBook.

I like this one a lot. iAlertU. Lowjack for your MBP. Pretty cool.

15. honeycrisp macrumors regular

Mac girls are the bomb...

16. skiffx macrumors 6502a

Nice links, thanks!

17. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

Norton AntiVirus it'll kill it

18. Wild-Bill macrumors 68030

Wild-Bill

Well congratulations, young lady. ;)

Remember to change your signature when it comes in!

As for your iWork question, you can export your iWork projects to Office-compatible types. There are a myriad of export options. If you find that iWork isn't working for your specific situation, download NeoOffice. It's open source (free) and compatible with the M$ Office suite.

19. skiffx macrumors 6502a

LMAO :D

20. Achiever macrumors 6502

Achiever

The Flip4Mac suggestion is a great one. If you download video content from the internet, this will be one of the most important programs you get, as it converts files that are posted in Windows Media PLayer format to a Mac. M$ has discontinued their own Mac video player and simply endorse F4M. So if you download and view video (and audio) content, you will absolutely need this app, which is free.

21. ansella thread starter macrumors member

ansella

Software Developer

I am a software Developer and Web Developer so I need a lot of stuff. Also do video and photo editing. I also need itunes tools.

22. ansella thread starter macrumors member

ansella

Virtual PC

Anyone have a virtual PC suggestion for MAC? Don't want to spend a dime if I don't have to but will if I need to. I have to run several virtuals for work.

23. cobbe1 macrumors member

cobbe1

First of all what type of program you need to run on the Windows side? If those are also graphic intensive and resource demanding programs than virtualization is not going to cut it. You'll be better off Bootcamp it.And Bootcamp is FREE, but not Parallel or Fusion.:D

The advantage of virtual is that it doesn't affect your work flow but the Windows side could be sluggish depends on the type of programs you run.

24. McGiord, Feb 29, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2011

McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

I like Parallels, its integration with MacOSX is very nice.

Either way via BootCamp or emulation to run Windows, you'll need a Windows license, I bought mine XP on craiglist for under $50.

If you want to tripleboot:

________
    Honda Logo picture