Girlfriend Xmas Present?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Blues003, Nov 15, 2011.

1. Blues003 macrumors 6502

Hey everyone!

So I've been dating this girl for around 3 years now, and Xmas is coming. I have been picking up clues of what she'd like (namely clothes and some forms of jewelry), but I still decided to ask her for tips. She refused to say a word: all she said was "Nah, I'm not telling you a thing. I'm telling everyone else what I want them to give me, since they always give me stuff I dislike... so from you I'd like as urprise - I want to actually get a present I don't know what is."

Girl Logic. :confused:

Anyway, I'm not so sure clothing/jewelry would please her as much as she expects to be pleased. I think she set the bar a bit high, so I'm having trouble finding a creative idea for a Xmas present. Namely because I've already done the traditional ideas: I've writen a book about us, I've made a photo album, I've composed her a song and sang one too, I've made her a CD with some custom tracks... so yeah. I'm kind of dry for ideas.

Would any of you mind sharing some idea you might have? I'd really like to please her this Christmas: she has been through a rough year and that'd probably help a feel a lot better.

Blues003

2. pvmacguy macrumors 65816

pvmacguy

Well obviously she has enjoyed your previous self-made gift because she said that you didn't give bad ones. :p My fiancé also loves the home-made stuff. You could make something and then also get her a little something girly IE: Jewelry.

Maybe make a large collage of pictures of you two and have it framed for her to hang on the wall in her room? Get a nice colorful mat maybe one that matches or similar to her wall color that wouldn't be too hard of expensive and also allows you to add personal loving touches. ;)

As far as jewelry or cloths maybe a nice necklace that she could wear every day? I would stay away from anything too heart shaped or mushy just something tasteful she could wear every day. If she's into beach maybe one of those colorful flip flops or if she has a favorite animal or flower shape. Depending on how old she is if she's younger IE <30 stay away from yellow colds and stick with white or sterling silver stuff.

3. Liquorpuki macrumors 68020

Liquorpuki

4. Blues003, Nov 15, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2011

Blues003 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for your advice! She dies dislike heart-shaped jewelry (I made the mistake of giving that once; days of grief ensued! xD). I like your idea of one home-made gift + one bought one. Indeed, that's usually what I do.´

Problem with that is that I have no idea for a home-made one. Her room is already filled with every possible imaginable painting on her walls, so it's hard for me to give her something to fit in there. Also, she already has a picture (which is actually a puzzle) of us two, in a frame, hanged on a wall. And I'm saving a more professional scrapbook idea for her birthday which will be shortly after. So indeed, I'm idea-less. :confused:

If only I could. While we're both 22, our parents are extremely conservative, so I can't take her to spend the weekend someplace else.

EDIT: She loves Angry Birds, Air Control, Plants vs Zombies, and she has been wanting to have some sort of Smartphone... so I thought of getting her an iPod Touch. Problem with that being that not only it's fairly expensive (we're both MedStudents with no income rather than a ~130€ allowance), but it's also not that romantic. I got the feeling she's expecting to be overwhelmed on Xmas -.-"

5. pvmacguy macrumors 65816

pvmacguy

Hmm well if I could read between the lines you wrote lol it definitely sounds like she wants something home-made from you. How hands on home made are you? Any good with wood? Maybe make a nice jewelry box with a built in vanity mirror of some kind with her initials engraved on top. Then if you decide to buy jewelry you could put it inside and then wrap and give to her.

6. SDColorado macrumors 65816

SDColorado

How about any hobbies or interests that you could do together? A gift certificate for something along those lines might be good.

7. greganpace macrumors regular

The best gift is going to be something that is practical. It sounds like you have the memories ground covered, but you want something that will be used or looked at often. I like the idea of the jewelery box or something like that. But it has to be something that she likes. My wife's birthday was a couple weeks ago, and she loves reading, so I got her a kindle, and took the time to pre-load it with 10 books she was wanting to read. I don't have a lot of time with school and everything to make something, but it was something I could do relatively easily while I studied. But the best presents are going to be tailored to your girl, so what does she like to do?

8. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

1. Cut a hole in a box.
    2. Put your junk in that box.
    3. Let her open the box.

...and that's the way you do it!

I sincerely apologize, but I couldn't resist. :eek:

9. AdrianK macrumors 68020

Someone's getting more than they bargained for this christmas :eek:

10. Bonch macrumors 6502

Bonch

11. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

really what you need to do is make mental notes when you both are together about things she likes.

The last girl I dated it took me a while to get the trick down (years) but I surprised her several times with a gift that she said only in passing that she really wanted. Those were her favorite gifts because it showed that I really was listening.
    She had that trick down to an art on me where she knew what I would like. I can only think of a handful of times I ever got something from her I directly ask for. Most of the time it was things I said in passing or she knew I liked/collected.

Advice is make notes of what she collects and things the she said in passing that she likes. From there you piece together other items. Or you can really cheat and go threw her parents. That worked really well for a good friend when her mom suggested something for her birthday. She is still trying to figure out how I knew to get her that gift after all theses years.

12. Blues003 thread starter macrumors 6502

Wow, now THAT is a god damn good idea. It's a pity I have no woodworking tools, although I guess I could ask my uncle to use his! I never tried working with Wood, but yeah, that idea is amazing!

If it isn't too much to ask as well, what would your fiancé suggest me? :p

I think she'd rather have something more tacticle than a gift certificate. We've talked about that and she's not really a fan of those :\

Mostly shopping, listening to music, watching TV series and browsing the web, really. Occasionally, light gaming (Plants vs Zombies, Angry Birds...) She also wants to get into photography. Which is why I thought of the iPod Touch (albeit it being a bit over my budget but heh...)

:D

Ahah, I do have her sister to resort to, but she tries her best not to hint me at anything. She takes pleasure in making it hard for me, apparently. :mad::rolleyes:

13. Liquorpuki macrumors 68020

Liquorpuki

How about a concert?

14. tigres macrumors 68040

tigres

Check out Groupon.

They have a photo/canvas deal going on and off that's killer.

You send it a photo, they send back a 16x20 full wall mountable canvas of the photo. Canvas on Demand is the name of the company.

Cost's like 45.00.
    I bought one for my sister, but don't have it yet.

You can add to that gift of course, but it's a cool start IMO. Everyone's got at least 1 cool photo we love.

15. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

At this point I think the girl is looking for something on her finger. Or your dick in a box, that'd do me just fine providing it's still attached. :D

16. nissan.gtp macrumors 6502

Send your parents somewhere :D

17. 1goodidea macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

One word - Tiffany's

18. Blues003 thread starter macrumors 6502

While Groupon does have some nice discounts, I do not want to rely on the discounts they'll get until Xmas to get a present. Who knows what they'll have. And unfortunately she already has a picture of me and her hanging in her room, so it's sort of heh to give her another. She barely has any space left on her wall!

Jewelery would be alright and is definetly my backup plan.

19. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Learn how to cook well, the better to look after her when she is unwell. ❤

20. Blues003 thread starter macrumors 6502

Already did :D

21. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

my partner is buying me a MIG welder for christmas.

I'm super-excited about this.

This may not work for your girlfriend though....

22. Blues003 thread starter macrumors 6502

Probably not xD

I am more and more considering the iPod Touch. It's small, portable, allows her to listen to music but also to play what she likes, satisfies her slight smartphone passion right now... It's not really that personal, but on the other hand, I don't have many other ideas.

Problem with it is it's slightly out of my budget. Even with Amazon's pricing. Does anyone know if amazon.co.uk does Black Friday discounts, and if so, how much the discount typically is?

I loved the wooden box idea, but I never worked on wood and don't even have the work tools. It's one great idea to remember in the future, but probably not the best to apply right now. :|

23. Dr Kevorkian94 macrumors 68020

make a collage of a picture of both of you together with other photos where you are together, i say its genius :D

24. Blues003 thread starter macrumors 6502

She has no more space on her room for that sort of stuff :\

25. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Home made coupon booklet. 30 minute massage, day of chick flicks, day trip of her choice, instant forgiveness, etc. Preferably something naughty. :p