Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!
  • Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

JWorld127

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 12, 2013
I just want to thank Apple for the update. I can confirm that my 15''MPBr issues have all been fixed by this update.

Prior to update my screen would flicker like crazy some days. I never quite understood what caused it to do this. I was actually on the brink of taking it to the apple store. I just could not believe that for all this money paid, I was having all these issues. My first mbpr had to be returned because of bad screen (lg screen retention), but the replacement at first seemed perfect.

All in all the only problems I had got fixed with the update:

-screen flicker
-fan speeds
-minor glitch when waking up from sleep
-seems to run smoother over all while browsing safari or just using iTunes

So as my title says I give Apple credit for doing a proper update to address issues which really should have never been in the first place on a $2300+ computer. But thank god they got the screen flicker issue resolved that was beginning to really wig me out.

xShane

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2012
United States
I just want to thank Apple for the update. I can confirm that my 15''MPBr issues have all been fixed by this update.

Prior to update my screen would flicker like crazy some days. I never quite understood what caused it to do this. I was actually on the brink of taking it to the apple store. I just could not believe that for all this money paid, I was having all these issues. My first mbpr had to be returned because of bad screen (lg screen retention), but the replacement at first seemed perfect.

-screen flicker
-fan speeds

So as my title says I give Apple credit for doing a proper update to address issues which really should have never been in the first place on a $2300+ computer. But thank god they got the screen flicker issue resolved that was beginning to really wig me out.

Glad to hear your issues are resolved :)

Comment

IlikeMacsSoMuch

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2009
Blainville, Province of Quebec

-screen flicker
-fan speeds

It is good to read from someone who is satisfied with Apple for a change!
Good for you OP

Comment

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
I just want to thank Apple for the update. I can confirm that my 15''MPBr issues have all been fixed by this update

After 13 betas, I would hope so! :D

But I do know the feeling when an update appears that kind of restores your faith in the OSX team and the feedback process. Unfortunately, I haven't experienced that feeling since 10.6.8 :(

Comment

hansenc

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2004
I agree, at on my rMBP things have really improved, fan speed stays under control, I can use the intel gfx card again b/c its not all laggy. I've noticed my laptop doesn't switch between gfx cards as much as it used to yet everything is smooth.

Comment

wafl iron

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2007
Havn't had the balls to install 10.8.3 on my mbp 2010 yet (i heard that the discrete card is getting triggered by new things now, which always scares me)

Although, 10.8.3 on my MP3,1 has certainly improved graphics performance in SC2 HotS. Maybe the dreaded graphics dip after waking from sleep has finally been solved!

Comment

cubbie5150

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2007
I tend to agree that 10.8.3 has been a good update for me as well thusfar. It seems to have fixed the "major" issues I was having on my rMBP in my sig (I got it 2nd week of January 2013, and the build date is December 2012, so it shipped w/ 10.8.2). I still have the "minor" issues of slow shutdown (well, slow for a machine w/ an SSD) & the annoying thing where my wallpaper is changed after reboot & folders I add to Desktop settings in System Preferences (for selecting/changing wallpapers) are deleted from the list. I find that really weird.

All in all though, graphics performance has improved, and even simple things like scrolling in Firefox is MUCH smoother.

Comment

Sneakz

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2008
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Well I'm pissed as I have a 2010 with a discrete GPU and almost anything will trigger it basically making the Intel HD graphics useless. Gonna try to play around with the kernel extensions from 10.8.2 when I get home

Comment

Blue Sun

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2009
Australia
Well I'm pissed as I have a 2010 with a discrete GPU and almost anything will trigger it basically making the Intel HD graphics useless. Gonna try to play around with the kernel extensions from 10.8.2 when I get home

I have a 2010 15" MBP but I'm not having any problems with 10.8.3.

Which apps are triggering the discrete GPU on 10.8.3 that didn't on the previous update? The only app I could get to trigger the discrete chip was Photobooth.

Everything seems to be working normally for me.

Comment

Sneakz

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2008
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I have a 2010 15" MBP but I'm not having any problems with 10.8.3.

Which apps are triggering the discrete GPU on 10.8.3 that didn't on the previous update? The only app I could get to trigger the discrete chip was Photobooth.

Everything seems to be working normally for me.
Dropbox is the main one for me since its always running. Twitter apparently is causing it too.

Comment

Still100

macrumors regular
Dec 21, 2011
Is the problem with Safari pages flickering when going back or forward resolved?

Comment

trustever

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2013
Boys what about the problem that someone else in this forum reported of disconnection from internet? Anyone suffering it?

I have downloaded the delta update but for the moment is still in the download folder as I am scared of potential problem with internet

Comment

Corax

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2009
Willemstad - Curaçao

Install gfxCardStatus, with it you'll have full controll over the switching between integrated and dedicated GPU. ;)

----------

For me, the Update resolved all my minor issues from before.

Comment

Blue Sun

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2009
Australia
Dropbox is the main one for me since its always running. Twitter apparently is causing it too.

Can't you just use gfxCardStatus to force the Intel HD graphics while not connected to a power source?

P.S I'm using the older DropBox application and it doesn't force the discrete chip.

EDIT: Apparently gfxCardStatus no longer allows users to force the integrated chip if there are dependencies on the discrete chip. Therefore its up to the developers of the Dropbox and Twitter apps to fix this.

Last edited:
Comment

Sneakz

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2008
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Yes, like you said gfxCardStatus can't switch the GPU if they are dependencies which Dropbox 2.0 and Twitter appear to be. They weren't dependencies on 10.8.2 though. I got the Dropbox update probably one day before I installed on 10.8.3 and was just fine.

This seems to affect the 2010 MBPs and not the 2011 with AMD GPUs or anything 2012 with a 650M.

Oh yeah, you won't believe this but effing Dictation will activate the discrete GPU. I'm not kidding.

Comment

Corax

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2009
Willemstad - Curaçao
Yes, like you said gfxCardStatus can't switch the GPU if they are dependencies which Dropbox 2.0 and Twitter appear to be. They weren't dependencies on 10.8.2 though. I got the Dropbox update probably one day before I installed on 10.8.3 and was just fine.

This seems to affect the 2010 MBPs and not the 2011 with AMD GPUs or anything 2012 with a 650M.

Question did you do it this way?: first completely quit Dropbox, then switch the GPU to integrated with gfxCardstatus, then start Dropbox again. In this order it should work.

Comment

Blue Sun

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2009
Australia

Oh yeah, you won't believe this but effing Dictation will activate the discrete GPU. I'm not kidding.

Maybe try repairing permissions using Disk Utility. If that fails perhaps a fresh install will do the trick.

I don't have access to my MBP right now, but I can confirm that Dropbox does not trigger the discrete chip in 10.8.3 on my machine. In fact the only way I triggered it was by launching Photobooth.

Do you have a 15" or 17" 2010 MBP?

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.