Give credit when it is due. 10.8.3

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JWorld127, Mar 16, 2013.

1. JWorld127 macrumors 6502

JWorld127

I just want to thank Apple for the update. I can confirm that my 15''MPBr issues have all been fixed by this update.

Prior to update my screen would flicker like crazy some days. I never quite understood what caused it to do this. I was actually on the brink of taking it to the apple store. I just could not believe that for all this money paid, I was having all these issues. My first mbpr had to be returned because of bad screen (lg screen retention), but the replacement at first seemed perfect.

All in all the only problems I had got fixed with the update:

-screen flicker
    -fan speeds
    -minor glitch when waking up from sleep
    -seems to run smoother over all while browsing safari or just using iTunes

So as my title says I give Apple credit for doing a proper update to address issues which really should have never been in the first place on a $2300+ computer. But thank god they got the screen flicker issue resolved that was beginning to really wig me out.

2. xShane macrumors 6502a

xShane

Glad to hear your issues are resolved :)

3. IlikeMacsSoMuch macrumors 6502

It is good to read from someone who is satisfied with Apple for a change!
    Good for you OP

4. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

After 13 betas, I would hope so! :D

But I do know the feeling when an update appears that kind of restores your faith in the OSX team and the feedback process. Unfortunately, I haven't experienced that feeling since 10.6.8 :(

5. hansenc macrumors 6502

hansenc

I agree, at on my rMBP things have really improved, fan speed stays under control, I can use the intel gfx card again b/c its not all laggy. I've noticed my laptop doesn't switch between gfx cards as much as it used to yet everything is smooth.

6. wafl iron macrumors regular

Havn't had the balls to install 10.8.3 on my mbp 2010 yet (i heard that the discrete card is getting triggered by new things now, which always scares me)

Although, 10.8.3 on my MP3,1 has certainly improved graphics performance in SC2 HotS. Maybe the dreaded graphics dip after waking from sleep has finally been solved!

7. cubbie5150 macrumors 6502a

I tend to agree that 10.8.3 has been a good update for me as well thusfar. It seems to have fixed the "major" issues I was having on my rMBP in my sig (I got it 2nd week of January 2013, and the build date is December 2012, so it shipped w/ 10.8.2). I still have the "minor" issues of slow shutdown (well, slow for a machine w/ an SSD) & the annoying thing where my wallpaper is changed after reboot & folders I add to Desktop settings in System Preferences (for selecting/changing wallpapers) are deleted from the list. I find that really weird.

All in all though, graphics performance has improved, and even simple things like scrolling in Firefox is MUCH smoother.

8. Sneakz macrumors 65816

Sneakz

Well I'm pissed as I have a 2010 with a discrete GPU and almost anything will trigger it basically making the Intel HD graphics useless. Gonna try to play around with the kernel extensions from 10.8.2 when I get home

9. Alekseriator macrumors newbie

10. Blue Sun macrumors 6502a

I have a 2010 15" MBP but I'm not having any problems with 10.8.3.

Which apps are triggering the discrete GPU on 10.8.3 that didn't on the previous update? The only app I could get to trigger the discrete chip was Photobooth.

Everything seems to be working normally for me.

11. JWorld127 thread starter macrumors 6502

JWorld127

lol snappier?

12. Sneakz macrumors 65816

Sneakz

Dropbox is the main one for me since its always running. Twitter apparently is causing it too.

13. Still100 macrumors regular

Is the problem with Safari pages flickering when going back or forward resolved?

14. JWorld127 thread starter macrumors 6502

JWorld127

^^^ i think it is...my safari runs pretty smooth

15. trustever macrumors 6502

Boys what about the problem that someone else in this forum reported of disconnection from internet? Anyone suffering it?

I have downloaded the delta update but for the moment is still in the download folder as I am scared of potential problem with internet

16. KPOM macrumors G5

For once, this is actually a true statement. :D

17. Corax macrumors 6502

Corax

Install gfxCardStatus, with it you'll have full controll over the switching between integrated and dedicated GPU. ;)

----------

For me, the Update resolved all my minor issues from before.

18. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

Now they need to fix the slow reboot/shutdown problem :mad:

19. Blue Sun, Mar 17, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2013

Blue Sun macrumors 6502a

Can't you just use gfxCardStatus to force the Intel HD graphics while not connected to a power source?

P.S I'm using the older DropBox application and it doesn't force the discrete chip.

EDIT: Apparently gfxCardStatus no longer allows users to force the integrated chip if there are dependencies on the discrete chip. Therefore its up to the developers of the Dropbox and Twitter apps to fix this.

20. Sneakz macrumors 65816

Sneakz

Yes, like you said gfxCardStatus can't switch the GPU if they are dependencies which Dropbox 2.0 and Twitter appear to be. They weren't dependencies on 10.8.2 though. I got the Dropbox update probably one day before I installed on 10.8.3 and was just fine.

This seems to affect the 2010 MBPs and not the 2011 with AMD GPUs or anything 2012 with a 650M.

Oh yeah, you won't believe this but effing Dictation will activate the discrete GPU. I'm not kidding.

21. Corax macrumors 6502

Corax

Question did you do it this way?: first completely quit Dropbox, then switch the GPU to integrated with gfxCardstatus, then start Dropbox again. In this order it should work.

22. Sneakz macrumors 65816

Sneakz

Yes that does work, but ideally I would like it as it was before. It's a change that wasn't need to be made.

23. MBPDiva macrumors regular

Where are you guys getting the update from? I just checked for updates and all I get is iPhoto update.

24. Sneakz macrumors 65816

Sneakz

25. Blue Sun macrumors 6502a

Maybe try repairing permissions using Disk Utility. If that fails perhaps a fresh install will do the trick.

I don't have access to my MBP right now, but I can confirm that Dropbox does not trigger the discrete chip in 10.8.3 on my machine. In fact the only way I triggered it was by launching Photobooth.

Do you have a 15" or 17" 2010 MBP?