Give it a rest, people

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Kestrel452, Sep 10, 2009.

1. Kestrel452 macrumors regular

I find it hilarious how everyone feels so "scammed" by Apple since they did not put a camera on the iPod Touch. Apple did give the iPod a decent hardware upgrade, just nothing in terms of a camera or mic, etc. If the new touch isn't up to your expectations, then don't buy it. This is how capitalism works. But don't go around saying how much of a bad guy Apple is for not giving the iPT a groundbreaking update. You are not a victim of any kind of wrath by Apple. These bashing threads sound like they are coming from 2 year olds. My God...

2. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

Scammed isn't the word so much as "disappointed". A few were counting so much on a Touch with Camera that they sold off their old Touch. I'm actually delighted, as the money I don't need to spend on a new Touch ($399) can now buy me a Zune HD ($220) AND a new Nano ($149). Then I can take my wife out to lunch with the savings.

Nano fans should be happy though, unless they bought the old model for $199last week.

3. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

Although I agree with you, you're just adding fuel to the fire.
    There will ALWAYS be someone who feels slighted by any decision any company makes, no matter how irrational their reasoning is.

Thank you for saying what was on the minds of many members, but I hope you've got your flame retardent suit on.

4. smiddlehurst macrumors 65816

For me, the problem isn't that Apple scammed anyone, they never promised anything so no scam occured. The problem is the Touch line feels like its standing still, there's no compelling reason to upgrade from (in my case) a first gen model which is deeply annoying. A camera would have been a very nice addition and given it that psychological tick of approval (well, I'm getting a new unit for my money with an extra shiny thing) whereas right now it's hard to justify the £230 expense just for a speed bump and extra memory.

5. sjleworthy macrumors 65816

sjleworthy

I too agree it's disappointing, and i hold nothing against Apple because other than fanboys world over who convinced themselves we were in for magic and miracles - Apple did indeed promise nothing.

But i'm mostly a bit aggrieved by the fact the iPod Touch seems not too have leapt forward this time. Ok, memory expansion and speedier processors are an obvious and much welcomed evolution, but for me personally i was hoping for a 'significant' update to give me a good reason to update from my lowly 8 gig 1st gen. More storage and speed isn't a reason, as i dont crave these.
    Perhaps maybe the iPod Touch has indeed run it's course so to speak.

Never mind, Apple certainly dont stand still. I have hopes on a tablet to be released one day soon. When and why and how i know not, but i'm pretty sure of it.

6. HitchHykr macrumors 6502a

HitchHykr

Nice straw-man argument. I did a quick search for "scammed" as it relates to yesterday's announcements and no-one on this forum has claimed they were scammed. People can feel disappointed, annoyed, etc. and they are free to express those opinions and you are free to read them or ignore them. Just sayin...

And no I'm not going to sell my Macs and buy a Dell or a Zune or whatever.

7. daniel000 macrumors member

I feel scammed because....

a upgrade in storage requires a update in processing speed. Therefore it cancels each other out.

Meaning, there was no significant upgrade in the Touch series

-----------------
    I personally waited on the next gen because i was waiting on some serious upgrade. Battery life and mic is just two that i wanted

guys most people who buy a touch use it as a mini computer?

id say id use it for everything. music , videos, and use the internet.

then why is APPLE trying to make it a gaming machine, and how can it possibly attempt to compare itself to NINTENDO and the PSP ? who do they think they are , are they that full of themselves that they dont even know where they are heading with this device?

It should have had a camera, it should have had a microphone, it should have had some solid hardware, software upgrades. if people want a phone, they will get the iphone

8. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

Then. Dont. Buy. It.
    Get a refurb, or an old gen for cheaper on Craigslist. It was your decision to hold out based on a rumor. That is the give and take of being an early adopter vs. getting the latest and greatest.

9. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

This has been discussed in so many threads alreadly. What people forget was that Apple didn't really upgrade iPod Touch I and iPod Touch II that much. Yes, these upgrades were (more) minor, but it's not like Apple changed the world last year.

10. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

It's easy to see why Apple hates rumour sites. Loads of users hate them for not releasing a product they never announced in the first place..

11. ajones46 macrumors 6502

Yes, apple did not promise anything. But I don't see the reasoning as to why the Nano gets a video camera, and the iPT gets hosed... big time. There were so many other things they could have added to make it more of a gaming device. Why not make the speakers louder? The speakers on the 3GS are so much better. Why not give it a built in mic like the nano? Did you see how small it was? It could have easily been put in the touch. I just feel like the iPod Touch was just left alone and forgotten.... I guess if it's not broke don't fix it? I didn't really want them to fix it, just make it better.

12. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

Apple works in mysterious ways.. (The lack of a 16GB model is a bit baffling to me.)

13. tubemonkey macrumors 6502

tubemonkey

Never question God :D

14. crackbookpro macrumors 65816

crackbookpro

I agree. There is no incentive for you to upgrade. The 64GB is nice, but still not a big enough reason for me to buy.

They lost my money... I will be looking at the Zune HD & Creative Zii Egg now!

No matter what, if you think they will never release a camera w/video & a mic on a Touch then there is no debate. If you think it is a nice feature to have then there is a debate. Apple is swaying people to buy the Nano, but the Touch's sales will not be swayed as much as you think.

The Nano wins, and the Touch remains close to the same.

Maybe, they want you buying the new Nano first, then will release the Touch w/camerea/video/mic at a later date.

One thing is certain, Apple would make a ton of money from the app store if the Touch was released that had a camera w/video capabilities and a mic. If Apple doesn't know this, I think Steve Jobs needs to find some new employees. In addition, the sales of the device would increase in percentages, where now, I can see it being a stalemate, because they left the Touch in that position.

OP, I usually do not post on threads like this(that have no value)... so instead of "giving it a rest", maybe you should open your eyes & ears. There is a huge marketing opportunity for the iPod Touch, and....

There is money to be made!!! Apple "usually" does both well, so I truly think there may have been a production issue.

If you can give me some good reasons why the Touch shouldn't have a camera...I will leave this alone.

...but, please give yourself a break, and start using that brain of yours... or lack thereof :rolleyes:

15. woodyman macrumors newbie

Just the fact that no one has brought up what I am about to say may in itself be the answer. Back in April or when ever the rumors started that there would be a camera, couldn't Apple have just made a statement saying NO CAMERA! I realize that rumors are everywhere and that not every rumor can be addressed but maybe this one could/should have been addressed. Or is it just bad business to make comments so early?

16. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

But where would the mystery be?

17. Wotan31 macrumors 6502

LOL then they deserve to be mocked, ridiculed, and laughed at for their stupidity. Apple never once stated that a camera would be included on the next model. These foolish folks made a financial decision based on hearsay and rumors. It's their own damn fault their are so "disappointed".

18. Wotan31 macrumors 6502

LMAO do you honestly expect Apple - or ANY other corporation for that matter - to comment on the feature set of an unannounced, unreleased product? LOL!! You are funny.

19. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

No one "deserves" mocking, ridicule, or name calling. To do that would be childish and bullying. Have a different opinion if you want. Please keep the belittling to yourself.

20. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

In hindsight, they were being somewhat foolish.
    I dont think he was saying they were fools as people, but the practice of waiting on a product that has not been announced, to expect things from a company that they never said, is foolish.

21. YMark macrumors 6502a

YMark

You should download one of the many dictionary applications. Then you can look up the word "scam".

22. Kestrel452 thread starter macrumors regular

My point exactly.

23. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I am disappointed in the lack of upgrades to the Touch and am puzzled by it as well. But if you don't like it then, clearly you shouldn't buy it. Everyone has different needs and wants. What works for one doesn't necessarily work for someone else.

To those thinking that they will buy a Zune HD, there are a lot of compromises to be made there as well. The link below, is to a forum post from a Zune fan responding to Apple's updates yesterday. It is worth the read.

http://forums.thoughtsmedia.com/f5/reactions-zune-fan-september-2009-ipod-announcements-95090.html

Some highlights:

Zune Marketplace is only in the U.S.
    No apps for the Zune.
    Many price points and storage capacities for iPod, not the Zune.

24. na1577 macrumors 6502a

Some of us are really disappointed about the lack of camera (myself being one of those people), but even more disappointing is that Apple made basically no changes from the 2G. So little, they're not even distinguishing it as a generation. Voice control, new earphones (which can be purchased separately) and faster hardware isn't going to get many, if any people to upgrade. Apple didn't need to add a camera to make the update worthwhile, they needed to add new features. Which they did. But they're incredibly minor features that aren't compelling to existing iPod touch users.

25. woodyman macrumors newbie

NO! I do not expect apple to do anything. I was just wondering if it was just good business to keep everyone in the dark. And I'd like to see what others think. I personally think they shouldn't have but please give me good reasons as to why they shouldn't have made a statement. I am open to changing my mind. At the end of the day I think being open and honest with it's customers is the best way to go. May not be the conventional way these days but someone needs to start!