Give me back a 4" iPhone. Seriously.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Dreamliner330, Sep 23, 2015.

1. Dreamliner330 macrumors 6502a

The iPhone 5 & iOS 6 was the pinnacle of Apple's phones. It was the perfect size and could easily be used with one hand with no chance of dropping it. It disappeared in your pocket and could fit anywhere. iPads are readily available if larger screens are needed. Plus, I've had every iteration since and nothing has even been as smooth.

I understand most people want ginormous phones for watching movies and whatnot, but the phones are just way too big.

To be honest, I'd be okay with a 4.5 or 4.7" screen if the iPhone bezels were not so big. The original Moto X was able to fit a 4.5" screen in a frame only slightly wider than a iPhone 5.

Bring back the small screen!

Here is a mockup I did when the iPhone 6 was announced last year, same 4.7" screen. (I'd prefer smaller though):

[​IMG]

2. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

I'd like to see the return of the 4" screen. My friend had the iPhone 4S, upgraded to the 6, and said he hates it! It isn't comfortable to use in one hand like the 4S (obviously). I don't see why they don't make a 7C to launch along side the 7. Even better if it was a flagship, but making it one generation behind essentially but cheaper seems like an okay option. And yes, Apple should get a grip (no pun intended) in their design for the 7 and increase the screen to body ratio considerably. The 6 Plus is way too big for its screen size when compared to other smartphones even 1-2 years old.

3. Cool Pup macrumors 6502a

Cool Pup

You'll get your wish, I have no doubts that the iPhone 7 and subsequent phones will have a redesign that will enable a 4.7 inch screen on a chassis like the 5s. There's clearly a lot of room to cut down on the bezels.

4. Cergman macrumors 6502a

Cergman

Whenever I hand 5/s users my 6 for one reason or another, they always comment on how big it is, and it isn't even the plus! I think there's definitely a market for the 4" display, but I could only see it showing up as a 7c, not a flagship. Maybe it's because I have large hands, but I can one hand the 6 without any struggle whatsoever. It even seems too small, which is why I'm going for the + this time around, but you're right - there should be a 4" model.

5. Dreamliner330 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'd pay full price for a 4" version that had all the spec of a 6/6S...including resolution, heck, 1080...even better. ;)

I do think some of the QHD screens are unnecessary though. The Samsung phones only need such a high resolution to hide the non-uniform PenTile Matrix subpixels...which I can still see, even on the Note 5. :rolleyes:

6. Cool Pup macrumors 6502a

Cool Pup

I actually wanted to clarify that I don't think a 4" screen will return, but the body of the 5 will be generally restored in terms of the device's height; I think you get the best of both worlds in that regard. There's definitely a major increase from the 5 to the 6, and one I feel like isn't too much of a problem for people who like a smaller screen as long as they cut the body of the device down.

7. Cergman macrumors 6502a

Cergman

My eyes are pretty good, but even the 6 PPI still looks pin sharp. I don't understand the race to 4k on 5-6" screens like the other manufactures are doing. Just a waste of battery and GPU.

8. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Despite this I still find Samsung's screen far superior. I would be pretty thrilled with an Ultra HD screen from Samsung for this reason you mention.

9. Dreamliner330 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Agreed. It would also be a compromise I could live with.
    Returns are diminishing, but higher is better and the really high resolution YouTube videos do look pretty awesome on the Note 5...but if you start looking at anything other than native resolution video on those Sammy screens...you'd be disappointed. If you look into the sub-pixel arrangement, you'd cry.
    The PenTile screen is technically inferior. It can't even make a straight line!

Uniform sub-pixels > *

10. macduke macrumors 604

macduke

Yeah I posted some mockups a while back. You could get the bezels down even smaller on top and bottom with a display-wide 3D Touch ID system. Peek to check notifications and pop to unlock.

I'm hoping for the iPhone 7 that they do 4", 5" and 6" with reduced bezels. Each would come out to be roughly the same size as the 5.5, 4.7 and 3.5" models but maybe even a little shorter. I know my wife is holding out hope for another 4" model. She'd even prefer 3.5", haha, but a 4" model with massively smaller bezels would work too. Here's to hoping for the 7! They could even price them at $199/249/299 and essentially raise the price of the iPhone by $50 for the majority of users. Or at the least keep the two smaller ones at the same price. With flexible app layouts ruling the land now, nothing is totally out of the question.

11. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

I agree with you, and for that reason I found the Note II screen more impressive than the Note 3 screen. However, beyond a certain resolution it kind of stops mattering. qHD is the brink, UHD would certainly cross that line. Sadly, I don't think Samsung is going to stop using diamond subpixel displays in their phones because of cost.

12. Dreamliner330 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Try that again with iOS 6 on it....preloaded with all the apps I use that I can't re-download.

iOS updates turn old iPhones into Turd machines. True story.

13. jsmith189 macrumors 65816

jsmith189

Haha, I kid! I don't think we're going to see a phone that small again for a long time though, I'm afraid.

14. Dreamliner330 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'd be totally cool with shrinking the bezels. It'd probably solve most of my issues with the 6. I have no idea how you use a 6+. Yuk.

I was convinced with all the 6+ orders last year, most people thought what they were getting was something the size of a 6 and they also thought the 6 was the same size as a 5. I think most of the 6+ purchasers had shortness of breath when they unboxed that monstrosity. The 6+ is bigger than a Note 5. :O

15. jsmith189 macrumors 65816

jsmith189

Well, to be fair, I'm 6'6 with enormous hands. A 6+ for me is a one handed device, the 5 is really uncomfortable for me to use lol. I have to crunch up my hands to reach things.

16. iZac, Sep 24, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2015

iZac macrumors 68000

iZac

Nowadays I'd just be delighted if they went the 'Pro / Air' route and have a small phone that's arguably more attractive, but less powerful.

I could see Apple releasing a 4" that has some ridiculous compromise like only inductive charging and bluetooth headphones (like the Apple watch) but satisfies Ive's desire for a razor thin phone.

17. unagimiyagi macrumors 6502a

People are fine with a 4.7" screen. It's the overall size of the device that people are protesting. Apple made the largest 4.7" phone on the market, basically the same size as some 5" devices. The bezels are huge on the iPhone 6 and it makes the device needlessly large and no longer one-handed.

Had Jobs been alive there for sure would have been some type of 4 to 4.3" screen still in production. He valued one-handed operation a lot and would have insisted on it. He wasn't even a small dude with small hands. You know what: he's still right. Look at all the people who go back to a small screen and go wow it's small but you know what, that one-handedness is super awesome and they miss the good old days. I'll never carry around a 6 plus. Never. Ever.

There's only one modern one-handed phone still in production and that is the Sony Z3 compact series. That's it. It's a list of one. The 5s too but I forget if that's still in production.

18. DustinDev47 macrumors 6502

DustinDev47

I remember the feeling of unboxing my "monstrosity." It was blissful.

19. Hexiii macrumors 65816

Hexiii

Shrinking bezels = shrinking inner hardware = shrinking battery?

20. MythicFrost macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

Apple's keeping enough height on the bottom for the home button and margins around it, and a matching amount on the top. I don't see that ever changing unless the home button goes.

Ordered a 6S+, currently got a 4S. Super looking forward to it. I've played around with a 6+, I don't think it's too big at all. I'd buy a 6" or 6.5" one. Mind you, I don't really care about one handed use.

21. Candlelight macrumors 6502a

Candlelight

I am needing to upgrade my phone but am seriously looking at getting a 5S as I simply don't want to move to a larger screen. I'll just keep it on whatever OS is delivered and never update it. Should've stayed on iOS 6 for my 4 as iOS 7 has slowed it down a bit.

22. decafjava macrumors 68000

decafjava

"Insert Lebowski quote"

Seriously I can see what you're saying in reference to the 6 plus or the Notes etc...but now no way could I give up my 6 and go back to a 4" screen ever.

23. Dreamliner330, Sep 24, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2015

Dreamliner330 thread starter macrumors 6502a

If I could get every iPhone 6s spec in a 4" screen I would do it today... I'd even pay more for it.

It will be interesting to see what the iPhone 7 will look like and if they reduce the bezels.

I used the Galaxy Note 5 as part of the Samsung Ultimate Test Drive for one month and I was so happy to go back to my iPhone 6 screen size.

I used the Note 5 without a case but I can tell you that the bezels were too narrow, my palms kept touching and tapping the screen and it was really frustrating. I'm sure if I used a case it would not be an issue but it could be why Apple has not reduced the bezels.

As a sidenote, I have been away from Android for about three years and I was very impressed with the Note 5: no lag and stutter free but typical Android issues like app quality, etc. Also, browser speed tests proved my 6 a hair quicker, not bad for 25% of the paper horsepower spec. ;)

24. Rayy42 macrumors 6502

Rayy42

Initially I went from an iPhone 5 to an iPhone 6 that I picked up on launch day last year. Took me months to adjust to the bigger size. A few more months passed and now that I adjusted to a 6 I was toying with the idea to get a Plus. Picked up one for my mom as a gift and that sealed the deal for me. A month later I was now the proud owner of a Plus and can honestly say I don't think I can go back. With time you adjust and adapt to the size. I've grown to love and appreciate it.