Give me reasons NOT to get a MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Xander7, Jun 28, 2010.

1. Xander7 macrumors newbie

I'm going into university next year, and I will be using my MPB for practically everything, including running Logic Studio (one of the main reasons I want a MPB). I also plan to run Windows 7 from Boot Camp. I'm most likely getting my 15.4" MBP with the hi-res upgrade (no anti-gloss) in the coming days, and I'm having some last-minute apprehensions of making such a large purchase. Are there any reasons I shouldn't get one?

2. NKT macrumors regular

This is probably the worst of all places to solicit such advice... ;)

3. Lunchb0x8 macrumors 6502a

Nope, go for it.

Apart from the money being spent and not in your pocket, it will be the least regrettable purchase you make!

4. Mac-Michael macrumors regular

5. Xander7 thread starter macrumors newbie

Maybe, but these are all the people who have the most experience with Macs, and who won't start trolling.

6. aethelbert macrumors 601

Depending on how often and to what extent you'll be using Windows, it may be worth noting that Apple's hardware drivers in Boot Camp are terrible.

7. woosah macrumors regular

woosah

Yes, you shouldn't get one if you feel compelled to pollute it with Windows. :D

8. Xander7 thread starter macrumors newbie

I might do a little gaming, and potentially run some engineering programs in the future. Any major problems there?

9. aethelbert macrumors 601

It probably won't be a big deal if you use an external mouse; the trackpad is awful in Windows. Drivers for power management are pretty bad as well, consequently making battery life very low for something of that capacity. Though you'd be nuts to be playing games away from an outlet regardless of which computer you're using. As long as you're plugged in with a mouse, it'll probably be fine.

10. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

I was in the same sort of situation, and am very glad I got the Mac. Although some of the drivers in bootcamp suck, notably the ones pointed out above, it's really not a terrible experience, especially with a mouse. I have used both engineering programs (I assume you mean drafting -- I use AutoDesk Inventor), and gaming (although not particularly strenuous games), and they work great in bootcamp. I also have the real version of office (wasn't particularly impressed with the Mac '04 version, but considering getting 2011 when it comes out.), and that works perfectly as well. I am also thinking about picking up Parallels or VMWare Fusion for when I am just using office or whatever. Get the MBP, you won't be disappointed.

11. Xander7 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, I plan to use a mouse whenever there's a table nearby. I've heard the rest before, and I'm totally fine with it.

12. Xander7 thread starter macrumors newbie

Awesome, sounds great. And yeah, I meant drafting.

13. pjcforpres2020 macrumors regular

For the price you could feed and educate a starving child for 5 years.

14. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

15. lgrulz macrumors newbie

The likely hood that you will continue asking silly questions.:rolleyes:

16. raymondu999 macrumors 65816

I have a very big drawback. It happened to me too.

Your computing patience will dwindle to nothing as everything just works. Starting from that point on you will never be able to use a PC or a Linux box as those will just stretch and test your patience to the point where you are just sooo stressed and frustrated, and it will only end up on more stress for your life.

Oh, and spreadsheet fanatics don't have a numberpad, and I still feel that the power button and speakers on the old classic MacBook Pros have a more "magical" feel to them.

Does that answer your question? :D

17. stefan1975 macrumors 6502a

because it is 2 or 3 times as expensive as a pc laptop doing the same?

18. aeboi macrumors 65816

aeboi

It doesn't chop, mince, nor dice in less than 3 seconds...??

19. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

+1. I can't go back to windows.

20. mansanas macrumors regular

there are hungry children in ethiopia

21. magamo macrumors 6502

You can get a cheaper PC and donate the saved money to MacRumors.com.

22. Xander7 thread starter macrumors newbie

lol, all of your responses are hilarious. I guess it's settled then. I shall go to the Apple Store tomorrow, before this new Harmonized Sales Tax kicks in.

23. bigjobby macrumors 65816

NO! DON"T DO IT! NOOOOO! Macbook Pro's are just expensive coffee coasters! Honest!

24. steeex macrumors member

I was in your shoes a couple of months ago..I have a powermac G5 and a dying macbook, so I decided to get a new pro when they got refreshed. It is an amazing machine, I would be 110% happy with it if...the ipad hadn't been invented. Seriously, get yourself a desktop with a nice screen (24" or +) = imac 27" or macmini..doesn't matter really. I am taking an engineering phd and the mini is good already for your needs..(my old 1st gen macbook still is anyway).

If the ipad isn't enough for when you're around (but believe me, it is), get a white macbook...with those specs still kicks it!

You'll be an happier guy...and your bank account will be too!

25. henry72 macrumors 65816

henry72

Don't get it!!!! Seriously~ Mac is just expensive... Windows is better than OS X :D

Trust me